View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 7:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Joique Bell 
Varsity Captain

Post Joique Bell
Lions have re-signed Bell for 2 yrs fo $7mil. Great move in my opinion!

March 11th, 2014, 1:22 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Joique Bell
that's a nice payday for Bell, seems like a lot of $ for a backup RB with $4.3M guaranteed. Not far off of Bush's contract average.

BTW - Dave Birkett of the Freep reported it as:

Quote:
Joique Bell has agreed to 3-year, $9.3m extension w/ $4.3m guaranteed. That's more in gtd money, officially, then Lions have Reggie Bush

March 11th, 2014, 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

Go Joique! Not my money!

March 11th, 2014, 1:31 pm
Heisman Winner

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Go Joique! Not my money!

....but it is your cap hit. I like Bell, I'm just a little skeptical of paying Reggie and him 7+ million a year.

March 11th, 2014, 2:53 pm

yostevo wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Go Joique! Not my money!

....but it is your cap hit. I like Bell, I'm just a little skeptical of paying Reggie and him 7+ million a year.

Cap is supposed to go way up again next year, and we'll most likely have extended Suh by then. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

March 11th, 2014, 3:03 pm

March 12th, 2014, 12:24 am
Pop Warner Vet

imho, he's earned it

March 12th, 2014, 11:59 am
Div 1 - Starter

yostevo wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

$7 million/year does not seem unreasonable for your starting running back. In our case, it pays for the #1 and #2 backs.

March 14th, 2014, 1:14 pm
Heisman Winner

Growler wrote:
yostevo wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

$7 million/year does not seem unreasonable for your starting running back. In our case, it pays for the #1 and #2 backs.

Unless you factor in the fact that RBs just aren't as coveted and paid like they used to be with the shifting emphasis of the passing game.

Moreno just signed for 3 mill/1 season with the Dolphins and I think that's a bargain. He's a multidimensional back who scored 10+ TDs and never fumbles (260+ touches). Before anyone throws out the Peyton factor, I will say you don't have to know much about football to see that Moreno offers more bang for the buck. Again, I like Bell but we overpaid.

March 27th, 2014, 6:29 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Also, there is a pretty decent chance that Bell becomes the #1 option at some point. Bush isn't going to last forever and Bell makes a nice stopgap #1 for a year or more. Green Bay has certainly done quite a bit with less than Joique Bell offers.
$3M a year for a #1 that can rush for 1,000 yards a season seems like a whale of a deal.

March 27th, 2014, 6:40 pm
Team MVP

I think them signing Moreno pretty much says Lamar Miller sucked in his chance to be the man, now theyre letting someone else carry the ball.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 27th, 2014, 6:52 pm
NFL Veteran

The reason Moreno got only 3M is because no team truly thinks he is going to continue doing what he did in Denver last season. He has a substantial injury history and everyone knows his numbers were inflated by Manning. Gerhart, Brown, and Tate also signed deals for $3M/yr the rest of the FA RBs so far that signed for less are even bigger question marks. The Bell deal is the going rate for a RB of his caliber without a bad injury history.

March 27th, 2014, 7:11 pm

The Bell deal looks okay to most Lion fans but I can't imagine they would to ecstatic if he were brought in as a FA with the numbers he had last season. They were okay numbers but he was also facing six and seven men in the box that were more concerned with the passing game. Bell is at best at best an average #2 RB with little to no explosion in his game (five runs of 20+ yds the last two seasons). He's a great story and the type of player everybody roots for but isn't a RB a team should be relying to carry any significant load when needed. I'm happy he got paid and hope he can step up now that he did get the contract but I would have been just as happy with a rookie coming into compliment Bush. For the price they paid Bell they probably cold have landed Maurice Jones-Drew to a two year deal. He's nearing the end but even a MoJo with miles on his tires has would probably offer more big play potential than Bell. Just look at what he did for his career in Jacksonville with no real passing attack.

March 27th, 2014, 7:32 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

sweetd20 wrote:
The Bell deal looks okay to most Lion fans but I can't imagine they would to ecstatic if he were brought in as a FA with the numbers he had last season. They were okay numbers but he was also facing six and seven men in the box that were more concerned with the passing game. Bell is at best at best an average #2 RB with little to no explosion in his game (five runs of 20+ yds the last two seasons). He's a great story and the type of player everybody roots for but isn't a RB a team should be relying to carry any significant load when needed. I'm happy he got paid and hope he can step up now that he did get the contract but I would have been just as happy with a rookie coming into compliment Bush. For the price they paid Bell they probably cold have landed Maurice Jones-Drew to a two year deal. He's nearing the end but even a MoJo with miles on his tires has would probably offer more big play potential than Bell. Just look at what he did for his career in Jacksonville with no real passing attack.

MJD? Are you kidding me? :shock:
How many years do you think that guy has left in him?
I'll take Bell over MJD at this point in their careers any day of the week.

Pffft. MJD... :lol:

Yeah, let's just let the solid young guy who is familiar with the team go so that the Lions can sign a guy well past his prime, has lost a step, and is just wanting another payday before he retires. Even if they get one good year out of him, where does that leave you when he has a career ending injury in 2015?
Well, they'll have Bush, who will be ready to retire and... nothing. Sweet.

March 27th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Do you really think they won't look to upgrade over Bell over the next year or two? If not you are a delusional Lions fan that has overdosed on koolaid and cornbread. And yes Jones-Drew has lost a step or two and yet he is still more explosive than a younger Bell. I'd rather they signed a rookie for a lot less than what they gave Bell. As I said I'm glad he got paid but he is a dime a dozen RB. His pseudo success comes from his huge want and desire but his physical attributes just aren't that great. If anything those that love the signing are blind Lion fans that see a local kid on the team and gloss over the fact he had an okay season.

March 27th, 2014, 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next