View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 William Clay Ford has died 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: William Clay Ford has died
Blueskies wrote:
He was one of the worst owners in the history of sports.

He was born into privilege, and never had to work for a thing in his life.

He didn't meaningfully contribute to his family's wealth, nor did he undertake any major philanthropic activities (maybe I'm wrong, but I've never heard of anything substantial).

So, while I'm not actively happy about his passing or something, I'm not exactly unhappy either. The only way this guy impacted my life was by delivering a consistently ****y football team to occasionally ruin my Sundays. Maybe that'll change now that he's dead, but I feel like Jr has been pulling the strings for quite some time anyway.

wow man...harsh.

Being the ONLY one of the big 3 to not need or take a bailout means nothing to you? it does me...he played his hand well, and Ford is thriving because of it.

March 11th, 2014, 2:11 pm
National Champion

regularjoe12 wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
He was one of the worst owners in the history of sports.

He was born into privilege, and never had to work for a thing in his life.

He didn't meaningfully contribute to his family's wealth, nor did he undertake any major philanthropic activities (maybe I'm wrong, but I've never heard of anything substantial).

So, while I'm not actively happy about his passing or something, I'm not exactly unhappy either. The only way this guy impacted my life was by delivering a consistently ****y football team to occasionally ruin my Sundays. Maybe that'll change now that he's dead, but I feel like Jr has been pulling the strings for quite some time anyway.

wow man...harsh.

Being the ONLY one of the big 3 to not need or take a bailout means nothing to you? it does me...he played his hand well, and Ford is thriving because of it.

Good call, Joe.

R.I.P. William Clay Ford.

March 11th, 2014, 2:47 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Quote:

Wait, he was the CEO of Ford in 2006? He was the executive chairman? He was one of many board members for a few decades, up until 2005. You're going to give him credit for Ford's management decisions after he stepped down from the board?

Look, I'm not saying I'm gonna go dance on the guy's grave, I just don't like the hypocrisy that runs rampant after a person's death.

March 11th, 2014, 3:06 pm
3rd Round Selection

Blueskies wrote:
Quote:

Wait, he was the CEO of Ford in 2006? He was the executive chairman? He was one of many board members for a few decades, up until 2005. You're going to give him credit for Ford's management decisions after he stepped down from the board?

Look, I'm not saying I'm gonna go dance on the guy's grave, I just don't like the hypocrisy that runs rampant after a person's death.

You do realize how much the city of Detroit has gained from him moving the team downtown right? And if I remember correctly he put up a lot of his own cash to make it happen.

You may say Ford didn't do any major philanthropic work but I'd argue that moving the Lions downtown was philanthropic itself, the city desperately needed something to help generate revenues and there is no denying that the move did that in a big way.

Along those same lines you can easily attribute Detroit hosting a super bowl to him.

Ford did a lot for the city of Detroit and the surrounding area, just because his efforts to help were generally focused on one area doesn't diminish them. Personally being born and raised in metro Detroit and living here my entire life aside from 6 months spent in Las Vegas, that fact means a lot to me and I certainly appreciate everything him and his family have done for the area.

And yes I realize we could argue how much it really helped Detroit given the cities current financial situation but that's not on Ford, that's on the idiots who failed to manage the cities finances.

March 12th, 2014, 6:05 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

All of your points are completely nonsensical. Sure he moved the team to the city in 2001, but he also moved them out of the city in 1975. A Superbowl is nice, but you know what would've helped the city more? A more interesting team and more than one home playoff game.

It's bad taste to bash a dead man, but let's not sugar coat it: he was perhaps the worst owner in the history of the sports. He wasn't particularly charitable, nor was he a great business innovator. He's dead, oh well.

March 13th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Blueskies wrote:
All of your points are completely nonsensical. Sure he moved the team to the city in 2001, but he also moved them out of the city in 1975. A Superbowl is nice, but you know what would've helped the city more? A more interesting team and more than one home playoff game.

It's bad taste to bash a dead man, but let's not sugar coat it: he was perhaps the worst owner in the history of the sports. He wasn't particularly charitable, nor was he a great business innovator. He's dead, oh well.

Eh hem......2 Superbowls. Did no one else watch the Niners beat Cincy that year?

March 13th, 2014, 2:17 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Eh hem......2 Superbowls. Did no one else watch the Niners beat Cincy that year?

Perhaps a minor detail, but that was in Pontiac and I watched, pretty good game!

March 13th, 2014, 2:44 pm
Profile WWW

Pablo wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Perhaps a minor detail, but that was in Pontiac and I watched, pretty good game!

Agreed that his first SB wasn't in Detroit...but i think it's fair to say that a SB effects a whole county, if not more area than that. Thats a WHOLE LOTTA money flooding into one area for two weeks!

March 13th, 2014, 4:33 pm
QB Coach

Blueskies wrote:

I'm not going to argue the merits of his life, but the bolded part is just factually untrue. He was actually known and quite a philanthropist, at least from what I know. Unless the news stories I've read are wrong, he donated millions of his own money to charity. For example, he gave $25 million to the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. Yes, you could argue that he was directly connected to those institutions, but there's no doubt that it was still a charitable donation. I believe there are several other examples as well.

Just saying, he wasn't quite the curmudgeon you're portraying him to be.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 13th, 2014, 5:13 pm
Heisman Winner

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

I'm not going to argue the merits of his life, but the bolded part is just factually untrue. He was actually known and quite a philanthropist, at least from what I know. Unless the news stories I've read are wrong, he donated millions of his own money to charity. For example, he gave $25 million to the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. Yes, you could argue that he was directly connected to those institutions, but there's no doubt that it was still a charitable donation. I believe there are several other examples as well.

Just saying, he wasn't quite the curmudgeon you're portraying him to be.

If you want to get on someone for not being charitable just look at Steve Jobs, now that guy was a tightwad.

March 13th, 2014, 8:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2