View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Golden Tate 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Golden Tate
Golden Tate to visit Lions, according to report

By Sean Yuille @SeanYuille on Mar 11 2014, 6:04p +
Jamie Squire
Get the latest Detroit Lions news with Pride Of Detroit
Follow Pride Of Detroit on Twitter
Like Pride Of Detroit Facebook

Free-agent wide receiver Golden Tate is set to visit the Detroit Lions.

The Detroit Lions got off to a quiet start to free agency. Their only move when the new league year began was to re-sign wide receiver Kevin Ogletree, and so far, they've been patiently watching as other teams hand out some ridiculous contracts.

There is some actual Lions news to report, though. They haven't agreed to a deal with a free-agent wide receiver yet, but they have scheduled a visit with Golden Tate, according to Adam Schefter. Tate is set to visit the Lions on Tuesday night, meaning that if everything goes well, a deal could potentially be worked out by Wednesday morning.

It remains to be seen how much it would cost to sign Tate, but he is considered one of the top free-agent options at wide receiver. He caught 64 passes for 898 yards and 5 touchdowns last season, and over the course of his four years in the NFL (all with the Seattle Seahawks), he's racked up 2,195 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Wide receiver is the Lions' top need, so signing Tate would be a big step in the right direction at that position. The Lions need to give Calvin Johnson some help, and Tate seems more than capable of taking some of the attention away from Megatron.

March 11th, 2014, 6:10 pm
QB Coach

Post Re: Golden Tate
I guess I'd be ok with Tate. Don't feel too strongly one way about him. Think I'd rather land a S or CB but I'm guessing we'll sign a couple mid level guys or draft in the first or second round.

Even if we do get Tate we'll still likely need another body at WR.

March 11th, 2014, 9:16 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

If they sign Tate I really hope it isn't for a penny more than what the Redskins paid to land Roberts. Tate is at best a 2b and will leave the Lions still looking to land a WR in FA or the draft that can step in if CJ gets hurt.

March 11th, 2014, 9:44 pm
Varsity Captain

There is some talk on the NFL network about the fit between the Lions and WR Eric Decker and Golden Tate. That would be something to see but can we afford it? Can we even afford Decker? We got 3 starters last year with less cap space than we have now. What will we spend it on?

BTW, Byrd just signed with the Saints for 6 years. No mention of money.

March 11th, 2014, 9:52 pm
Div 1 - Starter

reported that nobody is showing interest in decker, he could come at a very reasonable rate

March 11th, 2014, 10:48 pm
Varsity Captain

Alot of teams believe that Decker's numbers are inflated due to playing with Manning. While I agree with that to an extent, I also believe that he would be great across the field from CJ. So would Jones, Edelman or Tate. Tate's size dosen't thrill me, maybe the slot with Decker or Jones on the outside.

March 12th, 2014, 6:11 am
Varsity Captain

Decker is on his way to visit the Jets. Who knows?

March 12th, 2014, 7:43 am
Div 1 - Starter

yeah they will probably pay him

March 12th, 2014, 10:16 am

GOT HIM!!!!

March 12th, 2014, 3:34 pm
Team MVP

Wondering if he is gonna be their #2, or if they still plan on drafting Watkins/Evans?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 12th, 2014, 3:53 pm
Varsity 1st Team

I really like him as our #2. Can catch the ball and run thru and around tackles. He just wasn't used much in Seattle. \:D/

March 12th, 2014, 3:54 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I like it. I'd still be ok with trading up for Sammy Watkins tho

March 12th, 2014, 4:04 pm
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
I like it. I'd still be ok with trading up for Sammy Watkins tho

Seriously? We still have a GLARING need at safety, where we can easily fill at the 10 spot. Other than Clemons I dont like our options on the FA market as far as safeties go.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 12th, 2014, 4:06 pm

I'm waiting to see the breakdown but the initial numbers look like they over paid for a guy that looks like at best a 2b WR. Tate tweeted out that the deal was for five years $31 million and $13.25 million in guaranteed money. His career output has been pretty similar to Roberts and the Redskins I believe just signed him for four years $16 million. I'd hope at this point the Lions have shown at least enough potential to not have to overpay a player like Tate.

March 12th, 2014, 4:34 pm
Team MVP

sweetd20 wrote:
I'm waiting to see the breakdown but the initial numbers look like they over paid for a guy that looks like at best a 2b WR. Tate tweeted out that the deal was for five years $31 million and $13.25 million in guaranteed money. His career output has been pretty similar to Roberts and the Redskins I believe just signed him for four years $16 million. I'd hope at this point the Lions have shown at least enough potential to not have to overpay a player like Tate.

I try to think though that Tate was in a run-heavy and run-first offense, and still did decently. The potential is there for him to put up consecutive 1k seasons. Seems though that they did overpay a bit.

March 12th, 2014, 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next