View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 10:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Golden Tate 
Walk On

Post Re: Golden Tate
I like Golden Tate, he was the better WR in a inept Seattle passing game.

March 12th, 2014, 4:48 pm
RIP Killer

If you sign anybody in the first few days of FA your likely overpaying. Especially since the cap went up. Like his age, ability to stretch the field with his speed and SB ring. His production has gone up at a nice clip in each of his first four years. Also gives the Lions more flexibility in the draft.

March 12th, 2014, 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
I like it. I'd still be ok with trading up for Sammy Watkins tho

Seriously? We still have a GLARING need at safety, where we can easily fill at the 10 spot. Other than Clemons I dont like our options on the FA market as far as safeties go.

I agree, we do need another quality wide-out from the draft. If that means trading up for Watkins, grabbing one at 10 or taking one in 2nd round, the need for quality depth is still there. In regards to safety, I'm sure they'll plug some competent if unspectacular FA into the mix, and hopefully draft one at some point.

March 12th, 2014, 5:06 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

$6 mill a year for a more athletic/better hands Nate. Depending on how it breaks down per year since the guaranteed is usually paid now but counts in the later years, I don't see it as a bad deal. We run 3-4 wide pretty frequently, and he goes at the ball, not waiting for it to come to him like we saw a lot from our receivers last year. If they get Watkins or Evans at #10 (or trade up), I'd be happy.

As for the glaring need at Safety... none of the top safeties are worth #10. If we trade down, sure, but not at #10.

March 12th, 2014, 5:15 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The other side of that is they were facing a lot eight men in the box and teams biting on a lot of playaction as well as Wilson buying time on plays and coverage breaking down. The one thing that I like about Tate is so far in his career he has shown to be a reliable receiver with less drops in his career than the average season for a Lions receiver. I still think even with Tate signing the Lions still need a legit #2 that can step up and shoulder the offense if Calvin misses any time.

March 12th, 2014, 5:16 pm
RIP Killer

Sorry, I really don't see the Lions moving up in the draft to sign Watkins now.

March 12th, 2014, 5:21 pm
Profile WWW

I think they would be fine with guys like Matthews or Moncrief on Day 2 at this point and unless they are blown away by a guy still on the board at # 10 they might be better off sliding back in the 1st round.

March 12th, 2014, 5:30 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Pablo wrote:

Works for me. As much as I'd like to have him, the Lions made the smart play signing a young but proven veteran receiver. Doesn't mean they won't enhance the position on draft day, but eliminates the need to trade a bunch of picks to move up, reach, or overdraft for the position.

March 12th, 2014, 5:37 pm
NFL Veteran

njroar wrote:
$6 mill a year for a more athletic/better hands Nate. Depending on how it breaks down per year since the guaranteed is usually paid now but counts in the later years, I don't see it as a bad deal. We run 3-4 wide pretty frequently, and he goes at the ball, not waiting for it to come to him like we saw a lot from our receivers last year. If they get Watkins or Evans at #10 (or trade up), I'd be happy.

As for the glaring need at Safety... none of the top safeties are worth #10. If we trade down, sure, but not at #10.

I totally agree about the safeties in the draft. Haha is neither a ball hawk or a big hitter, he's just something kind of in the middle and Pryor is nothing but an enforcer. If your taking a safety in the top ten I feel like he should be a center fielding ball hawk or a big time enforcer with above average coverage skills. I don't see that with the Pryor or HaHa. I'd rather them just look at a guy like Terrence Brooks after the first. Brooks has a lot of the same good qualities Delmas had but hopefully without the wonky knee.

March 12th, 2014, 5:39 pm
League MVP

kdsberman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Seriously? We still have a GLARING need at safety, where we can easily fill at the 10 spot. Other than Clemons I dont like our options on the FA market as far as safeties go.

even w tate, team still needs another wr, the way i look at it is "i like don carey a lot better than kris durham or kevin ogletree"

still i think the lions pick up a veteran safety for fairly cheap in free agency. the top names have gone at high prices, so i cant fault the lions for not making an initial strike at safety.

March 12th, 2014, 7:52 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Pablo wrote:

Watkins will probably go #2 to St. Louis. Detroit can't pay the ransom the Rams would ask for that pick. Mike Evans needs work on his route running, but other than that he's got the size and speed to adequately replace CJ if CJ is out with an injury. That and an incredible ability to come down with the ball in traffic makes Evans the best choice if the team is going to draft a WR at #10.

March 12th, 2014, 8:19 pm
Div 1 - Starter

4.5 speed is fast for a tight end, not for a reciever though.

March 12th, 2014, 8:20 pm
NFL Veteran

vankman79 wrote:
4.5 speed is fast for a tight end, not for a reciever though.

4.5 is plenty fast for a WR of Evans size. Brandon Marshall, Hakeem Nicks, DeAndre Hopkins, Marques Colston, and Dez Bryant are all 4.5 guys and I don't hear people ever complaining about them. There has also been guys like Larry Fitzgerald and Kendall Wright that are doing just fine running in the 4.6s. Also 4.5s isn't just fast for a tight end, it's elite speed for a tight end. Your average tight end runs in the 4.7s to 4.8s.

March 12th, 2014, 11:13 pm

kdsberman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Like NJroar said, I don't think any safety this year is 1st round material. My favorite safety in this draft is Lamarcus Joiner and I think he could be had on day 3. James Ihidegbo is not really getting any action and Teryl Austin will probably scoop him up if he's still floating around and I would trust him in the backfield more than Clinton-Dix or Pryor. I'd take the best available pass rusher over either of them. I just think that a lot of teams will copy SEA(whom the playoffs will go through) and we need WRs who can match up with them physically. Watkins and Tate both fit that mold and have excellent RAC skills which we had none of last season.

But as far as Tate goes, I'm glad we finally have a player who will get on Matthew Stafford if he has to. He is as chippy as they come and I see some Hienz Ward there

March 13th, 2014, 12:53 am
Walk On

sweetd20 wrote:
I'm waiting to see the breakdown but the initial numbers look like they over paid for a guy that looks like at best a 2b WR. Tate tweeted out that the deal was for five years $31 million and $13.25 million in guaranteed money. His career output has been pretty similar to Roberts and the Redskins I believe just signed him for four years $16 million. I'd hope at this point the Lions have shown at least enough potential to not have to overpay a player like Tate.

Decker’s contract is worth $36 million over five years, with $15 million guaranteed.

Would spending a couple more millions made that much of a difference from landing Decker. We honestly could of brought Decker in and got him under the contract.

March 13th, 2014, 2:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next