View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 1:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Steven Hauschka a lion 
All State

Post Re: Steven Hauschka a lion
After seeing how well Martin worked out I'm totally on board for drafting a kicker. How much value is a 5th or 6th round WR or DB going to have anyway? If they see a kicker out there that has the talent then they should go for it. I want another career kicker like Jason Hanson or Eddie Murray.

March 18th, 2014, 8:56 pm
League MVP

Stallion wrote:
I would rather send a pick or player to the Bills for Dustin Hopkins. They drafted him in the 5th last year after being a fantastic college kicker. He got hurt in camp and they replaced him with Dan Carpenter, whom they just resigned after having a stellar season. He could be a cheap fix for the next decade.

i think this is a good idea, what was hopkins injury? - he had an unreal college career

March 19th, 2014, 12:48 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

DisgruntledFan wrote:
After seeing how well Martin worked out I'm totally on board for drafting a kicker. How much value is a 5th or 6th round WR or DB going to have anyway? If they see a kicker out there that has the talent then they should go for it. I want another career kicker like Jason Hanson or Eddie Murray.

Im with you, but would like to point out that the Jason Hansons, and Eddie Murrays arn't generally 5th to 6th round picks. I beleive Jason was a 3rd rounder if im not mistaken. Even still...if we get a pro bowl calibur kicker out of it for the next 10-15 years, it's well worth a 3rd- 4th round pick IMO.

March 19th, 2014, 9:47 am
NFL Veteran

Jason Hanson was a second round pick, but I think it's rare a kicker is ever looked at as that good coming out of college.

March 19th, 2014, 11:33 am
Heisman Winner

rao wrote:
Jason Hanson was a second round pick, but I think it's rare a kicker is ever looked at as that good coming out of college.

Didn't the Jets draft Nugent from OSU in the 2nd round? That was a bust of a pick considering it being a 2nd rounder.

March 19th, 2014, 12:37 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

aManNamedSuh wrote:
rao wrote:

Didn't the Jets draft Nugent from OSU in the 2nd round? That was a bust of a pick considering it being a 2nd rounder.

here is a list of the 10 highest drafted kickers (might be a year or two outdated) there are a couple of busts drafted super early...

Quote:
Kickers are some of the most underrated players in the NFL. They contribute a great deal to whether a team wins or loses a game and there is a lot of pressure on them in most situations when they are in on a play. Historically though, kickers are not drafted that high.

We wanted to take a look today at the highest drafted kickers in NFL history. In reverse order, here is the top ten.

10. Jason Hanson – Washington State University
In 1992, the Detroit Lions used their 2nd round pick, the 56th overall, to select Jason Hanson. Hanson would kick for the team for 20 years, working his way into being one of the best ever.

9. Chip Lohmiller – University of Minnesota
The Washington Redskins selected Chip Lohmiller with the 55th overall pick, a second rounder, in 1988. He would have some great seasons and contribute to some of Washington’s best teams.

8. Chris Bahr – Penn State University
In 1976, the Cincinnati Bengals used their second round pick, the 51st overall selection of the draft, to take Penn State’s Chris Bahr. Bahr would kick in the NFL for more than 14 years for the Bengals, Raiders, and Chargers.

7. Mike Nugent – Ohio State University
In 2005, the New York Jets selected kicker Mike Nugent in the second round with the 47th pick overall. He stayed with the Jets for four seasons before moving on to short stays with the Cardinals, Buccaneers, and Bengals.

6. Jerry DePoyster – University of Wyoming
The 37th pick of the 1968 NFL Draft, a second round pick, was used by the Detroit Lions to choose Jerry DePoyster. He stayed in the league just five years and also kicked for the Oakland Raiders.

5. Chester Marcol – Hillsdale College
In 1972, the Green Bay Packers used their 2nd round pick, the 34th overall, on kicker Chester Marcol out of Hillsdale College in Michigan. Marcol would kick for the team until 1980. He is also one of just four players from Hillsdale to ever play in the NFL.

4. John Lee – UCLA
The St. Louis Cardinals used their second round pick, the 32nd overall, on two time All American kicker John Lee out of UCLA. Lee had set a great many records while kicking in college, many of which that still stand, but he was out of football after just one season.

3. Sebastian Janikowski – Florida State University
The Oakland Raiders used the 17th pick in the first round when they made Florida State’s Sebastian Janikowski the third kicker ever picked in the first round of the NFL Draft. Janikowski still kicks for the Raiders and has had a very successful career.

2. Steve Little – University of Arkansas
In 1978, the St. Louis Cardinals selected Steve Little with their first round pick, the 15th overall. Little would only start two seasons and after a third would be out of the NFL. Little would also punt during his short career.

1. Charlie Gogolak – Princeton University
In 1966, the Washington Redskins made Princeton’s Charlie Gogolak the first kicker ever selected in the first round of the NFL Draft. He was one of the first “soccer style” kickers to play in the NFL and was somewhat successful during his seven year career. His brother Pete would also play in the NFL.

Kickers are very important, but are often not selected in the first round of NFL Drafts. In fact, the first NFL Draft was held in 1936 and since then only three kickers have been selected in the first round. Choosing kickers is a tough job for NFL teams, as is obvious by the fact that many of the highest drafted overall are not among the best kickers to ever play in the game.

Found on http://iqfb.com/nfl-draft/the-highest-d ... l-history/

March 19th, 2014, 1:25 pm
Heisman Winner

Cool find.

March 19th, 2014, 1:28 pm
QB Coach

One thing I've been wondering about for a while (with the kicker discussion) is what about Rugland? Some people seemed really high on him last year when he tried out, and from what I understand he did ok. Wouldn't the Lions want to bring him back for another round of tryouts to see if he's continued to improve? Or am I missing something?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 20th, 2014, 4:04 am
NFL Veteran

From what I've read Rugland looked incredibly raw in the tryouts and was just a lot of potential at the time. The guys they have on the roster now are all similar but seem to be more ready to actually play in the NFL. The consensus from the people that have mentioned him this off season is he needs more time working with a kicking coach before he'll be ready to fight for a roster spot.

March 20th, 2014, 11:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2