View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 8:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Pettigrew re-signs with Lions 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Pettigrew re-signs with Lions
millam21 wrote:
Lets not forget the fumble in overtime against houston, where he got stripped by a guy who weighed at least 70lbs less than he does for the second time in a season. Everyone makes mistakes, but pettigrews mistakes just make you think(actually i usually scream out loud) ARE YOU f***ING KIDDING ME HOW THE HELL DID YOU MANAGE TO SCREW UP THAT BAD?!?!?!?!??!?!?! albeit, its not a bad move to bring him back, but the contract is a tad bit pricey.

Excellent point regularjoe12... That is what stood out to me the most as well along with some very questionable ref calls.

"ARE YOU f***ING KIDDING ME HOW THE HELL DID YOU MANAGE TO SCREW UP THAT BAD" - doesn't that apply much more to Matt Stafford in the 2nd half of last year than an isolated fumble by Pett back in 2012? Speaking about 2012 - How about Corey Williams jumping offsides over and over again? How about Jeff Backus looking like a school girl trying to stop "insert NFC DE of your choice here"? How about Delmas whiffing on a tackle? Or Spievey taking a terrible angle on a tackle resulting in an 80+ yard TD run? Or Stefan Logan fair catching at the 5? Or how about any number of bone headed plays resulting in the Lions losing their last 8 games?

Outside of the Houston game, we had CJ's fumble setting up the first loss of the streak to the Vikings. Stafford's 72-yard pick six against the Pack. The secondary as Donnie Avery went uncovered and untouched to score for Indy as the clock ran out. Staff's sack - fumble - 43 yd TD by the Pack the next week. Staff's 3 picks in the blowout loss to the Card the next week, 2 returned for TDs and the other one set up a TD to end their 9-game losing streak. The secondary left Michael Palmer wide open in the 4th quarter for the Falcons the following week and their 4 TOs in the final game against Chicago made it 8 straight.

In-other-words, there are a lot of "ARE YOU f***ING KIDDING ME HOW THE HELL DID YOU MANAGE TO SCREW UP THAT BAD" when following our beloved Lions!

March 21st, 2014, 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

"ARE YOU f***ING KIDDING ME HOW THE HELL DID YOU MANAGE TO SCREW UP THAT BAD"
I thought this was going to be the new theme song sung by the TD guy at Ford Field.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 21st, 2014, 3:50 pm
Veteran General Manager

WarEr4Christ wrote:
"ARE YOU f***ING KIDDING ME HOW THE HELL DID YOU MANAGE TO SCREW UP THAT BAD"
I thought this was going to be the new theme song sung by the TD guy at Ford Field.

It is. Except it will be sung by that new teenage sensation group, WRONG DIRECTION.

March 21st, 2014, 4:32 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
Pablo wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
So how do you correct it for everyone?

I think the Lions believe a change in the head coach will help solve the issue. Let's hope they are right.

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Pett dropped or fumbled at key moments

Pett's fumble came in the first game of the year, a 10-pt win against the Vikes. Hardly a key moment. I don't remember when each of his 3 drops occurred, but I have a hard time believing they were as costly as some of the turnovers Bush, CJ and Staff had that I remember - all lead directly to losses.

the duck ball for example became a pick 6 - probably any other player in the league and its an incomplete pass not a game changing moment. remember when he got stripped for a TD vs TEN in 2012...the guy is unreliable and not paying attention. its not something the stats are necessarily going to show but he is consistently unrelieble. sure calvin dropped a ball at the 5 yard line (vs tampa?) that ended up getting picked and that hurt but calvin also does almost all of the heavy lifting for the offense. pettigrew doesnt. bush last season was also extremely unreliable with horrible hands in the passing game and a ridiculous tendency to fumble. you have players like that and you lose games, its not a surprise. its not the talent level, its that they have trouble staying dialed in. id much rather have a less talented player at lower cost that doesnt throw games away like scott chandler or jeff cumberland instead of pettigrew.

I don't think any player would have been able to contort their body back as they are running forward to somehow break up that pass up and with the way the DB was breaking on that ball he was running full speed as he landed giving Pett no way to tackle him. That play was a pick six no matter which player was the target and was entirely Stafford's fault.

I would also like an upgrade at TE, but Pett is only counting 2.2M against the cap this year and even with his bone head plays still puts up average production which is what they are paying him. The deal isn't great it's just as good as the Lions were going to do given Chandler wasn't interested in leaving Buffalo and the other TEs out there are pretty poor, even worse than Pett.

March 21st, 2014, 5:02 pm
RIP Killer

I've been as critical of Pettigrew as anyone, but at $4M per season, he's a bargain whether you like it or not. He doesn't have great speed or great hands. There are times when he makes monumental mistakes. Name one other player that doesn't on this team.....or ANY team for that matter. He is one of the better all around tight ends in the NFL. His low number against the cap allows the Lions to concentrate on other areas and not have to strongly consider using a pick on a tight end, or spending money on a lesser FA. It also allows Fauria and Michael Williams to develop further without forcing them into a starting role.

It was a good move. Not great, but good.

March 21st, 2014, 5:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

millam21 wrote:
Lets not forget the fumble in overtime against houston, where he got stripped by a guy who weighed at least 70lbs less than he does for the second time in a season. Everyone makes mistakes, but pettigrews mistakes just make you think(actually i usually scream out loud) ARE YOU f***ING KIDDING ME HOW THE HELL DID YOU MANAGE TO SCREW UP THAT BAD?!?!?!?!??!?!?! albeit, its not a bad move to bring him back, but the contract is a tad bit pricey.

I agree. Maybe Pett isn't as statistically bad as it seems but watching him play in the actual games can be physically painful. When he does get stripped, it always seems to be the smallest player on the field doing it(Verner, Manning, Josh Robinson). And in spite of what the numbers say, NO ONE is surprised when he drops passes, fumbles, or loses penalty yardage for us. We are just used to him f*****g up and continuing to be the most infuriating player on the team. Hopefully the new coaches make him better but he deserves every bit of the blame he gets.

That's crazy about Sheffler dropping 1/4 of his passes. I definitely think his brain injuries are the cause of that because he wasn't even locating the ball after a while

March 21st, 2014, 5:42 pm
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
millam21 wrote:

I agree. Maybe Pett isn't as statistically bad as it seems but watching him play in the actual games can be physically painful. When he does get stripped, it always seems to be the smallest player on the field doing it(Verner, Manning, Josh Robinson). And in spite of what the numbers say, NO ONE is surprised when he drops passes, fumbles, or loses penalty yardage for us. We are just used to him f*****g up and continuing to be the most infuriating player on the team. Hopefully the new coaches make him better but he deserves every bit of the blame he gets.

That's crazy about Sheffler dropping 1/4 of his passes. I definitely think his brain injuries are the cause of that because he wasn't even locating the ball after a while

Stripping a ball is about technique, not strength. That being the case Suh would be stripping the ball every time he got near a running back or quarterback. Same thing with holding onto a ball. It is more about technique than strength.

March 21st, 2014, 5:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4