View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2014, 9:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions decline to pick up option on Fairley 
QB Coach

Post Lions decline to pick up option on Fairley
March 24th, 2014, 2:00 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Lions decline to pick up option on Fairley
I like the decision. Show us you deserve the money and then maybe you'll see the $$$. I would tell Nick, "Hey, the guy picked right AFTER you was one of the NFL sack leaders".

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 24th, 2014, 2:55 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

This was an easy call that you could see coming. Fairley has been an average at best player with a few highlight plays. Which in my opinion is hugely disappointing when playing next to a player like Suh. Which brings us to the reason that Fairley won't be a Lion next season, Suh's soon to be new contract. The Lions will have three huge contracts on the books with one of them being a DT. There is no way to build a solid team from top to bottom if they are paying big contracts to two DTs. The Lions can replace Fairley, I don't want to say easily but it will be an easier hole to fill than a few others.

March 24th, 2014, 3:30 pm
RIP Killer

If I remember correctly, that was a weird contract year for all the first round picks due to the CBA. Each was given a 4-year deal with a club option for the 5th. I want to say after the first 10 picks (and Fairly was lucky 13 I believe) they would be offered the average of the top paid players at their positions somewhere in the range of 5th highest to around the 25th or so (don't quote me on specifics).

Honestly, at the time I thought it was a good deal for the Lions because they were drafting high after the top 10 so if the player played at potential, the 5th year deal would be a good one. Obviously in Nick's case, he has only flashed that potential and wouldn't be worth the $5.5M that currently works out to.

I don't see this as a bad move at all, although I think it was pretty dumb for Mayhew to say he is trying to give Nick "incentive" to reporters. I realize he is just trying to ramp up pressure, but this can result in either Nick getting pissed an leaving (despite what he said) or him being a beast for his contract year and then go back to Mr Inconsistent.

Honestly, I also don't know how or if this would impact the current years cap number for which the Lions have little flexibility if they did exercise it. Anyone understand how exercising an option would impact the current years salary cap. (My guess is that it could lower it by spreading any given bonuses over a 5th year as well, but that wouldn't resort to that much $).

March 24th, 2014, 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I don't believe it will have any impact on this year's cap. The bonus was already spread out over the first 4 years (this being the 4th) and I think the NFL views the option as a separate 1 year deal. Top 10 picks get whatever the transition tag number for their position is and for picks 11-32, they get the average of the top 25 players at their position, minus the top 3. Teams have until May 3 to exercise the option.

March 24th, 2014, 4:05 pm
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I don't believe it will have any impact on this year's cap. The bonus was already spread out over the first 4 years (this being the 4th) and I think the NFL views the option as a separate 1 year deal. Top 10 picks get whatever the transition tag number for their position is and for picks 11-32, they get the average of the top 25 players at their position, minus the top 3. Teams have until May 3 to exercise the option.

Thanks for the clarification. So based on this we would have to pay Nick as basically the 14th best DT in the league - not even close!!!

March 24th, 2014, 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

Pablo wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. So based on this we would have to pay Nick as basically the 14th best DT in the league - not even close!!!

Actually if your looking for a pass rushing under-tackle he is probably somewhere in the top 3-5 in the league. That is when playing next to Suh, but he still does have great sack numbers for a DT. If he continues with the same numbers in 2014 as his last 2 years I wouldn't be surprised if he gets paid the 5.5M by someone. I do hope the Lions aren't the one paying him, but I do think he is an above average attacking DT.

I would like to see the Lions just let Fairley walk next season and pick up a big NT. I think Suh would be a much better force if he had a Dan Wilkinson type to eat up blockers and play the run. I think a big NT would also hide the LBs better and allow them to play at a higher level. With the big long DEs they have now it would probably make them a wall against the run so the DBs can better sell out on the pass too.

March 24th, 2014, 5:34 pm
League MVP

rao wrote:
Pablo wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Actually if your looking for a pass rushing under-tackle he is probably somewhere in the top 3-5 in the league. That is when playing next to Suh, but he still does have great sack numbers for a DT. If he continues with the same numbers in 2014 as his last 2 years I wouldn't be surprised if he gets paid the 5.5M by someone. I do hope the Lions aren't the one paying him, but I do think he is an above average attacking DT.

I would like to see the Lions just let Fairley walk next season and pick up a big NT. I think Suh would be a much better force if he had a Dan Wilkinson type to eat up blockers and play the run. I think a big NT would also hide the LBs better and allow them to play at a higher level. With the big long DEs they have now it would probably make them a wall against the run so the DBs can better sell out on the pass too.

i think the problem they have with fairley is more with his offseason preparation than his play. i think he s well worth $5.5 million and would rather have four of him than Suh at $20 million plus/year or whatever they were planning on giving him

March 24th, 2014, 8:45 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
Pablo wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

i think the problem they have with fairley is more with his offseason preparation than his play. i think he s well worth $5.5 million and would rather have four of him than Suh at $20 million plus/year or whatever they were planning on giving him

You'd probably need 4 of him so when one was taking plays off maybe 2 of the other 3 could go in.

March 24th, 2014, 11:48 pm
League MVP

kdsberman wrote:
I like the decision. Show us you deserve the money and then maybe you'll see the $$$. I would tell Nick, "Hey, the guy picked right AFTER you was one of the NFL sack leaders".

im not sure its a decision so much as it is a ploy. couldnt the lions reverse course on this after the season if fairley does well and try to keep him at relative modest cost of $5.5?

March 25th, 2014, 11:20 am
League MVP

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
Pablo wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

You'd probably need 4 of him so when one was taking plays off maybe 2 of the other 3 could go in.

he could improve his conditioning but i dont see him pulling a titus young act out there

March 25th, 2014, 11:22 am
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:

he could improve his conditioning but i dont see him pulling a titus young act out there

I'm mostly joking. I don't think he is that crazy or anything. IMO he is always going to be a bit lazy, but a lot of DTs are because they carry to much bad weight. He's a good starter in my eyes, but he's a second DT not a guy that can be the anchor at the position.

March 25th, 2014, 1:23 pm
Varsity Captain

pettigrew get's a $16 mil 4 year extension and $5.5 is too much for Fairley? I Guess that' cool when you have Fluellen to replace him.

March 27th, 2014, 9:30 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Boz wrote:
pettigrew get's a $16 mil 4 year extension and $5.5 is too much for Fairley? I Guess that' cool when you have Fluellen to replace him.

Even better when there are 2 drafts and one free agency period to replace him with someone who, you know, doesn't take plays off or has a questionable work ethic while being drafted early in the 1st.
I approve of not picking up Fairley's option. Wanna get paid? Show me. He's not the guy we thought he would be. At all. He isn't looking like a first round pick, but maybe next year he breaks out. Warren Sapp thinks he's better than Suh, so I guess there's that, whatever that is.

March 27th, 2014, 9:40 pm
Varsity Captain

In the last couple of years there has been talk in the media and this site about CJ taking plays off and/or half assing it. Should we cut his pay? Hell no! Many players take plays off and are not called lazy. Everyone thought Sammie Hill was worth keeping, is he even still in the league? If you want to get rid of every player that has not lived up to their draft hype we will be left with CJ, Sam Martin and 1/2 of Matt Stafford.

March 28th, 2014, 6:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next