View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 3:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Bears signed Jared Allen 
QB Coach

Post Bears signed Jared Allen
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/26/bears-sign-jared-allen/

NFC North getting shuffled around. Peppers to Green Bay. Allen to Chicago....interesting.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 26th, 2014, 9:05 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Bears signed Jared Allen
Crap. That is exactly why I wanted the Lions to go after him.

Thank you Suh for being so quick about getting your contract extended.

March 26th, 2014, 11:20 am
RIP Killer

I wouldn't want Allen on a 4-yr/$32M deal like the Bears had to sign him for. He will be the highest paid defender on the Bears. He is 32 next week and should start a rapid decent soon.

They basically cut one aging veteran (Peppers) to sign another. I'd rather have guys in their prime at those prices honestly.

March 26th, 2014, 11:33 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Pablo wrote:
I wouldn't want Allen on a 4-yr/$32M deal like the Bears had to sign him for. He will be the highest paid defender on the Bears. He is 32 next week and should start a rapid decent soon.

They basically cut one aging veteran (Peppers) to sign another. I'd rather have guys in their prime at those prices honestly.

Exactly what I was thinking. There's a reason you don't typically see winning teams sign aging vets to big contracts.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 26th, 2014, 11:43 am
NFL Veteran

I'd have to guess with his age and the amount of guaranteed money in the deal, he is actually getting a 2yr $15M deal. The question I have is what side do they plan on playing him. I think he's always played the same side Houston would play. I wonder which guy will have to flip sides and how easily they can adjust to having to now rush toward the opposite shoulder. I don't remember if Allen moved around a lot for match ups and I sure wouldn't watch a Raiders game to know how Houston was used.

March 26th, 2014, 11:50 am
QB Coach

Following up on my (and Pablo's) previous post with some facts.

I just went through the list of the all time sack leaders at DE, and aside from a few notable exception (Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Kevin Greene, and a couple others), there is a steep decline in production right around 32 years old. Some guys fall off right at 32, while some continue playing well for a couple more years. But in general, guys drop off big time right around then. You can even look around the league right now. Peppers, Ware, Freeney...they have dropped off considerably at or slightly before 32. There are still a couple guys performing at a high level at or past 32 (John Abraham, Robert Mathis {although last year was kind of a oddity for him}), but mostly that's the point at which they tend to drop off.

My main point is that unless you think Allen is at the level of Bruce Smith, Reggie White, or Kevin Greene (I don't think he is), I think we can expect a pretty steep drop off from him in the next year or two.

EDIT

One more thing. Pro Football Focus tweeted the following:
March 26th, 2014, 12:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]