View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 8:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Should Lions pull a Minnesota 
Walk On

Post Should Lions pull a Minnesota
On knowing we have 2 additional 4th Rd Picks. Should we draft Mike Evans with our 10th and package our 2nd & 3rd picks or 2nd & first 4th to jump back into the 1st to grab Justin Gilbert or Safety if they fell into the 20'S. And try to fill our remaining needs with 3 4's or 3rd & 2 4's. Thoughts?? By the way, how was the Viking s able to pull off getting 3 first rounders and still have a 1st this year. Seem like they would of lost it with all the willing and dealing last year

March 25th, 2014, 4:23 pm
QB Coach

Post Re: Should Lions pull a Minnesota
They traded Percy Harvin for a 1st and then packaged their 2nd 3rd 4th and 7th to move back into the 1st.

March 25th, 2014, 4:33 pm
Walk On

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
They traded Percy Harvin for a 1st and then packaged their 2nd 3rd 4th and 7th to move back into the 1st.

Yea, we probably don't want to give up that much to jump back into the first.

March 25th, 2014, 5:13 pm
RIP Killer

In a deep draft like this, Mayhew would be roasted if he made a deal like that.

March 26th, 2014, 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

No trade ups please unless they come at minimal cost and the player is really special.

March 26th, 2014, 10:15 am
RIP Killer

I would support a move up into the bottom of the first round, using our second and the fourth round pick. But I would want them to select a player that would make an IMMEDIATE impact at a position of relative need. Wide receiver or corner. Safety isn't a need. If a defensive end falls, I'd support that pick as well since we are thin at that position. Kony Ealy would be good if he fell. Dee Ford could be a consideration if he's there as well. Smallish, but lightning quick. If we don't get a WR at #10, a move up to secure Kelvin Benjamin or maybe even Brandin Cooks. If we go WR, then getting a Bradley Roby or Kyle Fuller would be good.

I wouldnn't give up anything more than a fourth round pick though. I wouldn't package our second and third rounders to move up, unless it meant securing a top 20 pick in exchange. And I don't think any team will trade out of a top 20 pick and move down that far for just a third round pick as extra.

With how deep this draft is, I could definitely see the Lions packaging their third and fourth rounders to move back into round two instead.

March 26th, 2014, 1:29 pm
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
I would support a move up into the bottom of the first round, using our second and the fourth round pick. But I would want them to select a player that would make an IMMEDIATE impact at a position of relative need. Wide receiver or corner. Safety isn't a need. If a defensive end falls, I'd support that pick as well since we are thin at that position. Kony Ealy would be good if he fell. Dee Ford could be a consideration if he's there as well. Smallish, but lightning quick. If we don't get a WR at #10, a move up to secure Kelvin Benjamin or maybe even Brandin Cooks. If we go WR, then getting a Bradley Roby or Kyle Fuller would be good.

I wouldnn't give up anything more than a fourth round pick though. I wouldn't package our second and third rounders to move up, unless it meant securing a top 20 pick in exchange. And I don't think any team will trade out of a top 20 pick and move down that far for just a third round pick as extra.

With how deep this draft is, I could definitely see the Lions packaging their third and fourth rounders to move back into round two instead.

I would not touch Dee Ford before the 3rd round. He has a herniated disk in his lower back that he has had 2 surgeries on already.
I have a herniated disk in my neck. I know how debilitating that can be. The lower back holds a lot more weight. He won't make it past 6 years in the league. If that.

March 26th, 2014, 6:26 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

If there was a single player worth giving away those picks for, a player that matches what the Lions need for a legitimate Super Bowl run, then sure.
To me, that player isn't in this draft. So no.

March 27th, 2014, 12:30 pm
RIP Killer

HechePipe wrote:
If there was a single player worth giving away those picks for, a player that matches what the Lions need for a legitimate Super Bowl run, then sure.

There is no single player in the world that will lock up a Super Bowl for the Lions. They need multiple positions filled. However, based on the strength of this team being the offense and with CJ getting older and more banged up, I'd say the most important piece of the puzzle towards pushing this team deep into the playoffs would be a legitimate threat to start opposite Calvin.

Of course, that is all dependent on Matt Stafford pulling his head out of his azz in the near future as well.

March 27th, 2014, 12:43 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

m2karateman wrote:
HechePipe wrote:

There is no single player in the world that will lock up a Super Bowl for the Lions. They need multiple positions filled. However, based on the strength of this team being the offense and with CJ getting older and more banged up, I'd say the most important piece of the puzzle towards pushing this team deep into the playoffs would be a legitimate threat to start opposite Calvin.

Of course, that is all dependent on Matt Stafford pulling his head out of his azz in the near future as well.

I see that, but are we sure that the lions can't get that player with the picks they are already given?
With this draft being so deep at WR, I don't see the point in giving up picks to take a late first rounder when there will be a lot of great choices with their first three round picks that they already have.
Unless, like I said, that player happens to be THE guy. But I don't see THE guy in this draft.

March 27th, 2014, 12:49 pm
RIP Killer

HechePipe wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
HechePipe wrote:

I see that, but are we sure that the lions can't get that player with the picks they are already given?
With this draft being so deep at WR, I don't see the point in giving up picks to take a late first rounder when there will be a lot of great choices with their first three round picks that they already have.
Unless, like I said, that player happens to be THE guy. But I don't see THE guy in this draft.

Sammy Watkins is as close to being 'that' guy as you are going to get. Watkins is a complete player right now, and is more than NFL ready to be a number one receiver. He would excel as a second receiver almost immediately. Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin don't have the deep speed, and both are not really good route runners. Marquise Lee has injury questions.

Brandin Cooks has speed aplenty, but his stature will limit him as an outside receiver. Odell Beckham is a good blend, but lacks elite skills.

Now, would the Lions securing Sammy Watkins ensure their getting into the playoffs and getting to the Super Bowl? No. They tried to move up to get Patrick Peterson a couple years back, and even getting him wouldn't have locked it up for them. However, there is always a very limited number of elite players in a draft, regardless of how deep it is, that can make an immediate impact for a team. I think Clowney has that potential, as well as Khalil Mack. On the offensive side, I think Watkins is an elite talent like that. Should the Lions give up anything to get him? No. But if the Lions can move up in exchange for a third round pick to secure him, I'd be in favor of it. I wouldn't give up a second rounder, but wouldn't hesitate giving up a third for him.

March 27th, 2014, 1:39 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

m2karateman wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
HechePipe wrote:

Sammy Watkins is as close to being 'that' guy as you are going to get. Watkins is a complete player right now, and is more than NFL ready to be a number one receiver. He would excel as a second receiver almost immediately. Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin don't have the deep speed, and both are not really good route runners. Marquise Lee has injury questions.

Brandin Cooks has speed aplenty, but his stature will limit him as an outside receiver. Odell Beckham is a good blend, but lacks elite skills.

Now, would the Lions securing Sammy Watkins ensure their getting into the playoffs and getting to the Super Bowl? No. They tried to move up to get Patrick Peterson a couple years back, and even getting him wouldn't have locked it up for them. However, there is always a very limited number of elite players in a draft, regardless of how deep it is, that can make an immediate impact for a team. I think Clowney has that potential, as well as Khalil Mack. On the offensive side, I think Watkins is an elite talent like that. Should the Lions give up anything to get him? No. But if the Lions can move up in exchange for a third round pick to secure him, I'd be in favor of it. I wouldn't give up a second rounder, but wouldn't hesitate giving up a third for him.

In fairness, the scenario presented originally was taking Evans at 10 and trading back into the first. But once you have your starting WR, is there another player that is worth giving up additional picks for? Supposing that Evans is your guy at 10, I don't see too big of a drop off in talent between 25 or so and 42, depending on what position you want. A good C, DB, DE, TE, LB... One of those positions should have a talented player at 42.
Still too many holes to give up multiple picks for one dude, if you ask me. The Lions don't have many actual "holes" per se, but there should be upgrades available to the Lions in the first 3 rounds, no matter what spot they pick at.

March 27th, 2014, 6:06 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Would you give up your 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up in the first round and draft...the next Calvin Johnson (assuming that Sammy Watkins has that kind of talent)?

March 28th, 2014, 3:28 am
RIP Killer

Growler wrote:
Would you give up your 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up in the first round and draft...the next Calvin Johnson (assuming that Sammy Watkins has that kind of talent)?

Depends on what your other player options looked like in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Then again, Sammy Watkins is not the next CJ, I'd say more Julio Jones just a few inches shorter. A very good player for sure, but no sure fire HOF who is breaking some of the GOATS records.

March 28th, 2014, 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Growler wrote:

No. I wouldn't do that to draft Calvin Johnson's cloned little brother.

I would never trade 3 high picks for any WR. The lions have him now but he's not enough by himself to get you there. It's the nature of his position. WR don't get you to the Super Bowl. They are ancillary players.

Calvin gets the ball a ton. The qb forces it to him most of the game. The lions still lose.

There are lots of wr in this draft. Do not hose your future by blowing such a high price for one new rookie who may get 50 touches in the season

March 29th, 2014, 11:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next