View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 8:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Philly releases Jackson 
QB Coach

Post Philly releases Jackson
27 year old WR from Philadelphia was released because they didn't want to pay his $10 million dollar contract. Thoughts?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/phil ... son-032814

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 28th, 2014, 2:04 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Philly releases Jackson
Has talent and just 27 is just at his peak. Then again, Philly cutting him not vs waiting until post 6/1 means they will take a huge hit this year (probably in $5-6M range, don't know his contract specifics at $10.5M/yr). That tells you they really wanted him gone and there is likely more to this story. There were rumors about his ties to an LA gang and remember the gangs sign he supposedly flashed at a Skins game last year?

Buyer beware and do your due diligence with this one!

March 28th, 2014, 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

Pablo wrote:
Has talent and just 27 is just at his peak. Then again, Philly cutting him not vs waiting until post 6/1 means they will take a huge hit this year (probably in $5-6M range, don't know his contract specifics at $10.5M/yr). That tells you they really wanted him gone and there is likely more to this story. There were rumors about his ties to an LA gang and remember the gangs sign he supposedly flashed at a Skins game last year?

Buyer beware and do your due diligence with this one!

According to Spotrac he has left the Eagles with $6M in dead money, but given his 2014 cap hit would have been $12.75M they actually get a good chunk of cap space back with the release.

March 28th, 2014, 3:54 pm
RIP Killer

Do you know if he was designated a June 1st release? (by doing this, you are able to spread things over 2 years saving even more money)

For example, the Cowboys designated Miles Austin as a 6/1 release. Instead of taking the full roughly $8M cap hit in 2014, about $3M went to this year and $5M to next. Guaranteed salary and the current years bonus goes into this year (they obviously don't get any OTA bonuses, etc) and future years bonus allocations go into the next.

March 28th, 2014, 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

They still could have designated him a June 1st cut and that would have spread his hit over this and next year, but they wouldn't have access to the extra cap space until it actually was June 1st.

His salary was 10.5M and he had a 2M signing bonus for each of the remaining 3 years (and 250,000 miscellaneous bonuses each year) so the 2M for 3 years hits now for a total of $6M.

I really want to know the true story here, he's been a really explosive player for them. And I know the re-signed Cooper and Maclin but Maclin is always hurt and Cooper had one good year.

March 28th, 2014, 4:20 pm
QB Coach

Quote:
The Eagles have opted to part ways with receiver DeSean Jackson. But he’ll linger on the books for the rest of the year.

Per a league source, the Eagles terminated Jackson’s contract without the post-June 1 designation. That means he’ll count $6 million against the cap for 2014.

That’s the remainder of the $10 million signing bonus he received in 2012. He keeps that money free and clear, part of the $18 million he made in two years under a five-year deal.

If the Eagles had used the post-June 1 designation, Jackson would have counted $2 million against the cap in 2014 and $4 million in 2015. However, his full cap number of $12.75 million would have remained on the books until June.

As it stands, the Eagles have created $6.75 million in cap space, and they’ve saved $10.75 million in cash. And they’ve moved on from a guy that, for whatever reason, they no longer wanted.

March 28th, 2014, 4:32 pm
RIP Killer

I can see Carolina making a play for him as a potential playoff team to replace Smith. I wonder if Seattle is looking to replace Tate?

I'd really like to see him land in Oakland. That would put Sammy Watkins more in play in the later part of the top 10 of the draft and might not cost the Lions as much to grab him if that is their plan.

March 28th, 2014, 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

This is why DeShean is DeGone.

Quote:
DeSean Jackson cut by Eagles after ‘gang ties’ report

DeSean Jackson is a free agent, if the Jets want to make a run at him.

The controversial wide receiver was cut by the Eagles on Friday afternoon within an hour of an NJ.com report stating the team was concerned over his gang ties.

Jackson refuted the allegations in a statement later Friday, after thanking the Eagles organization and former coach Andy Reid.

“I would like to make it very clear that I am not and never have been part of any gang,” the statement says. “I am not a gang member and to speculate and assume that I am involved in such activity off the field is reckless and irresponsible. I work very hard on and off the field and I am a good person with good values. … I look forward to working hard for my new team.”

The Jets are in the market for a No. 1 receiver, even after adding Eric Decker earlier this offseason. Owner Woody Johnson confirmed as much at the owners meetings in Orlando. “We’re looking at a number of players, including DeSean. He’s a very good player,” Johnson said of Jackson, who was at the time still under contract by the Eagles.

Not anymore.
The NJ.com report says the Eagles had “serious concerns” over Jackson’s alleged ties to the Crips. It cites Jackson’s known association with Theron Shakir, who was charged with — and acquitted of — the slaying of a 14-year-old boy in Los Angeles in 2010. Photos appear to show Jackson and Shakir together.

Jackson also has been photographed making Crips gang signs, including flashing one during an Eagles game against the Redskins last season, LAPD detective Eric Crosson says in the report.

“Those were neighborhood Crip gang signs and he flashed them during a game,” Crosson said. “He may not be affiliated with the gang, but they don’t [ordinarily] take kindly to those not in the gang throwing up those gang signs.”

The reported hand-wringing over Jackson’s off-the-field activities falls in the shadow of the drama surrounding former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, currently in jail awaiting trial for the murder of acquaintance Odin Lloyd.

There’s no doubting Jackson’s talent. The 27-year-old speedster caught 82 passes last year for 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns. New Jets quarterback Michael Vick, who played with Jackson in Philadelphia, spoke about the possibility of Jackson’s release in an interview Tuesday.

“If DeSean [is released], it’s something that he has to embrace, something he may have to learn from, depending on whether he wants to leave or not,” Vick said.
“Regardless, I’m going to support him. He’s always been a great friend of mine and a great football player. And I think highly of him. I give him my utmost support.”

Jackson signed a five-year, $51 million extension with the Eagles two years ago and still had $30.5 million remaining, but none of that money was guaranteed.

March 28th, 2014, 6:53 pm
NFL Veteran

I think the Eagles made the smart move by not using the post june 1st designation. They really don't need the extra $4M in cap space this late into free agency and now they avoid having extra dead money on the books next year. I think it is usually better in these cases to rip the band aid off instead of removing it slowly.

March 28th, 2014, 8:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]