View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 DeSean 
Butkus Award Winner

Post DeSean
It's awful quiet here and on other Lions forums about him. He'd complete our offense, that's all I'm assuring. I have no idea about the gang affiliation claims going around or how he's a locker room problem, but Calvin/Tate/DJax/Bush/Bell/Pett is pretty damn good if you ask me.

Thoughts on if we should restructure some contracts and go after him?

March 29th, 2014, 1:13 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: DeSean
No. We do not need to go down that road. There is a reason the Eagles suddenly cut him. There is more to the story that hasn't broke yet.

March 29th, 2014, 1:21 pm
Team MVP

No way. Sure, hes talented. But hes a headcase IMO. Hes a guy that one hit could put him out. Hes only like 180#. I would rather add youth anyway.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 29th, 2014, 7:46 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

I'll pass.
For one, there has been talk of him clashing with coaches and diva behavior. Caldwell hasn't had diva receivers anywhere he's coached and I'll go out on a limb and say that's not a coincidence.
Jackson's alleged gang ties aside, the Bears and Jets have both publicly stated that they have no interest in him. I don't see any team jumping at the chance to sign him, not even the cap-rich Raiders, who love criminals. So I'm pretty sure there's more to it than just the ties to a bunch of idiots who don't know how to wear pants... Or walk. Or generally act like humans.
We're not being told the full truth here. The LAPD publicly cleared him earlier of the gang affiliation, so that's not it.
But you don't release a guy with his numbers unless his issues are bigger than what we see on the surface.
He may never have an issue with violence or whatever the real problem is, but the Eagles, who lined up to sign a convicted dog murderer, aren't taking the chance. Neither should the Lions.
Speaking of Raiders V Eagles, the Eagles are far more likely to sign criminals and douchebags than the Raiders, it seems. Cooper, Jackson (who definitely does have ties to gangs, even though it's been determined they aren't criminal ties per LAPD), Vick. Fans are second only to Chicago fans in overall assholery. The Eagles are the new Raiders, but why doesn't the sports media acknowledge this? Raiders always get the bad wrap for this kinda thing.

March 29th, 2014, 11:25 pm
QB Coach

I wouldn't be surprised if his visits stopped here in DC. Snyder loves paying for big names. That offense would be scary with him, Garcon, Moss, that TE Reed who was just coming into his own before getting hurt last year. Assuming of course RG 3 and 13 stays healthy.

March 30th, 2014, 9:05 am
QB Coach

The more I hear about Jackson and the whole situation, the more I think it simply comes down to money. He views himself as a legit #1 WR and wants to be paid as such, but his career production doesn't back it up. Yes, he had a great season last year while playing in a fast paced offense that focuses on getting the maximum possible number of plays off. It tends to lead to higher numbers for everyone on offense, especially WRs. If you look at Jackson's whole career, he averages 60 receptions, 1019 yds, and 5 TDs per season. Those are elite numbers. He's also had some durability issues and has been at the very least a small locker room problem at times. He's simply not that great of an overall player. He is a guy who can take a nothing play and go all the way, but those are few & far between. The players who truly help teams win are those who produce consistently, and Jackson is simply not that kind of player.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 30th, 2014, 11:34 am
RIP Killer

freep wrote:
Detroit Lions: No interest in WR DeSean Jackson right now

DeSean Jackson is expected to begin his free agent tour in Washington today, and while a handful of NFL suitors are lining up for the recently released wide receiver, the Detroit Lions are not one of them.

Lions coach Jim Caldwell said after an appearance on the “Mike and Mike” radio show today that the team has not had any conversations about signing Jackson, despite still having a need at the position.

“We haven’t discussed him,” Caldwell said. “But I can tell you, obviously, he’s a playmaker, he’s a guy that can get it done and certainly has proven that he can do so. But at this point in time, we have not had any discussions.”

The Lions signed Golden Tate to pair with Calvin Johnson earlier this month but still have an opening at receiver that they are expected to address with a high pick in May’s draft.

Kris Durham, Kevin Ogletree, Ryan Broyles and Jeremy Ross are among the other receivers currently under contract.

Jackson, a three-time Pro Bowler with the Philadelphia Eagles, is coming off the best statistical season of his six-year career, with 82 catches for 1,332 yards.

But the Eagles reportedly tired of Jackson being a locker room distraction and released him last week, after an nj.com story alleged that he had ties to Los Angeles gang members.

The Lions intentionally have tried to avoid off-field and locker room distractions since a spate of arrests involving Titus Young and others in their 2011 draft class derailed the 2012 season.

They also would have to clear significant salary cap room to add a player of Jackson’s caliber. As of today, the Lions have just $1.5 million in cap space.

Still, Caldwell, who famously professed at his introductory news conference that he wanted players to be “like a piece of steel wrapped in velvet” — tough on the field and problem-free off of it — wouldn’t completely rule out any Lions interest in Jackson.

“In this business, you never say never, right?” he said.

March 31st, 2014, 10:54 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think Jackson wants too much money, and I don't see him being happy as the second or third receiver here.

March 31st, 2014, 12:41 pm
Heisman Winner

Oh Hell to the NO

April 1st, 2014, 1:44 pm
QB Coach

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if his visits stopped here in DC. Snyder loves paying for big names. That offense would be scary with him, Garcon, Moss, that TE Reed who was just coming into his own before getting hurt last year. Assuming of course RG 3 and 13 stays healthy.

Well looks like I was right about something for once. He didn't make it out of DC. Should be fun to watch them this season.

April 2nd, 2014, 12:58 am
RIP Killer

Too bad rg3 still won't be able to stand upright for more than 2 seconds thanks to his OL.

April 2nd, 2014, 10:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]