View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lions decline to pick up option on Fairley 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions decline to pick up option on Fairley
Boz wrote:
In the last couple of years there has been talk in the media and this site about CJ taking plays off and/or half assing it. Should we cut his pay? Hell no! Many players take plays off and are not called lazy. Everyone thought Sammie Hill was worth keeping, is he even still in the league? If you want to get rid of every player that has not lived up to their draft hype we will be left with CJ, Sam Martin and 1/2 of Matt Stafford.

That wasn't the media, that was wjb being....well, wjb...

And SLH was a very good player for being a raw, small school player. He signed a deal for starter money when he displayed top notch backup quality. He signed a 3 yr 11.4M deal and started 10 games last year for TN.

March 28th, 2014, 8:55 am
Pop Warner Allstar

Boz wrote:
In the last couple of years there has been talk in the media and this site about CJ taking plays off and/or half assing it. Should we cut his pay? Hell no! Many players take plays off and are not called lazy. Everyone thought Sammie Hill was worth keeping, is he even still in the league? If you want to get rid of every player that has not lived up to their draft hype we will be left with CJ, Sam Martin and 1/2 of Matt Stafford.

And I would strongly recommend replacing all those underachieving players, too.
If they can upgrade Nick Fairley cheaper than his salary, do it. Same goes for any other player.
I think not picking up his option is Mayhew's way of saying " We aren't giving you another dime until you prove you're worth it."
As a Lions fan, I'm so starved for a winning team that I do not care if they replace players with rodeo clowns as long as they win.
Bottom line: they absolutely CAN get a better DT than Fairley. At other positions, maybe there isn't an upgrade that make sense financially or systemically. But it is plain as day that Fairley can be replaced cheaper than $5M, for all that he does or doesn't contribute to the W column.

March 28th, 2014, 12:46 pm
RIP Killer

HechePipe wrote:
Boz wrote:

And I would strongly recommend replacing all those underachieving players, too.
If they can upgrade Nick Fairley cheaper than his salary, do it. Same goes for any other player.
I think not picking up his option is Mayhew's way of saying " We aren't giving you another dime until you prove you're worth it."
As a Lions fan, I'm so starved for a winning team that I do not care if they replace players with rodeo clowns as long as they win.
Bottom line: they absolutely CAN get a better DT than Fairley. At other positions, maybe there isn't an upgrade that make sense financially or systemically. But it is plain as day that Fairley can be replaced cheaper than $5M, for all that he does or doesn't contribute to the W column.

I don't think Fairley is underachieving, by any stretch of the imagination. What the Lions are saying is that they want him to be more consistent, which lends to the discussion about him taking plays off. Let's make this clear, just about every player takes plays off. Not everyone is Kyle Vandenbosch.

Like it or not, Fairley is a play maker. As an interior d-lineman he generates sacks and can eat up blockers in the run game. I understand that Suh attracts more attention, but you still have to be talented to get to the passer from the inside spots.

All that said, I would like to see Fairley be in better shape during the season. But there's more than a few DTs in the league that have the same build and do well. I think Fairley needs to mature and take the job more seriously in the off-season. That would help his off-season conditioning and work outs.

March 31st, 2014, 12:51 pm
Team MVP

I wouldn't mind keeping him around if he can get to that consistency level that should be routine for a professional player. Cap is going to keep rising and if he earns it this year we can afford him next year. The times he flashes are great but after 3 years it shouldn't just be flashes. Rumors that the Cowboys are interested in him. Doubt we'd get more than a third rounder however.

March 31st, 2014, 4:59 pm
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I wouldn't mind keeping him around if he can get to that consistency level that should be routine for a professional player. Cap is going to keep rising and if he earns it this year we can afford him next year. The times he flashes are great but after 3 years it shouldn't just be flashes. Rumors that the Cowboys are interested in him. Doubt we'd get more than a third rounder however.

I don't see the Lions trading him unless for whatever reason they pick a DT high in this coming draft.

April 1st, 2014, 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2