View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 An idea 
Team MVP

Post An idea
So I've been really doing some thinking the past week...

Martin Mayhew normally is very quiet about his draft plans and who he really likes and is targeting. So the question is, why would he stress so much to the media his love for Sammy Watkins? Now I understand all 32 teams would love to have Watkins, so its not like the Lions are somehow different than everyone else. But is Mayhew doing this for a reason? We do need another talent at the WR position. Mayhew knows it, the fans know it. But Mayhew also knows (or should know) that the depth at WR this year is unreal. So why would he make it such a big deal about possibly moving up??? Especially with his "keep quiet" history?

So I was thinking..

Does anyone think he is doing this on purpose so he can lure another team to move up, pushing another player back a spot or two? Maybe a player such as Khalil Mack? Why do I have such a gut feeling that he is very high on their radar? He hasnt scheduled a visit. So what? They hired Teryl Austin who will run a blitz heavy scheme. Wouldnt you think theyd want someone who excels at that? But Austin said when he was hired that the team wouldnt pursue a rush LB this offseason. Yet the Lions have been really studying Anthony Barr and apparently really like him.

Probably not, but it was just a thought. And as much as I'd love Watkins, it almost might serve this team better if they were going to trade up, to trade up for Mack. Yes. A defensive player.

Just a thought.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 31st, 2014, 8:11 pm
QB Coach

Post Re: An idea
Yeah I had a similar thought myself. I don't know that it would work because Watkins was always going before 10 anyway.

Mack would be a huge boost to this defense, but I think Barr could also be pretty good. Hurry up and get here draft.

March 31st, 2014, 9:11 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Hurry up and get here draft.

Seriously. This May draft thing is painful.

I agree that something's up. Mayhew has opened up a bit over the years, but not that much.

March 31st, 2014, 10:41 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I dont know....it seems like he is doing pretty much the same thing when he wanted Peterson. IMO it looks like he's letting everone 1-9 know taht we are looking for a dance partner to get our guy.

But hey...i've been wrong before, and i will be wrong again in the future! :wink:

April 1st, 2014, 10:59 am
RIP Killer

How about the opposite. You really do love Sammy Watkins, everybody knows it. You have lots of potential dance partners in a deep draft and everybody 1-9 knows it. Perhaps that drives down the cost with more suppliers.

Imagine you are Mayhew, you also find out what the teams in front of you are thinking. If Oakland is unwilling to listen, chances are they like Watkins too. That is good intel to have. If they are seriously considering an offer to move back to 10, maybe their interest isn't that great. I'd like to know who would be willing to flip positions if Watkins is there at this point, regardless of cost.

I'd go into the draft thinking it is a long shot, but you can't make the shot unless you take the shot and you want as many shot opportunities as possible.

April 1st, 2014, 11:20 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Pablo wrote:
How about the opposite. You really do love Sammy Watkins, everybody knows it. You have lots of potential dance partners in a deep draft and everybody 1-9 knows it. Perhaps that drives down the cost with more suppliers.

Imagine you are Mayhew, you also find out what the teams in front of you are thinking. If Oakland is unwilling to listen, chances are they like Watkins too. That is good intel to have. If they are seriously considering an offer to move back to 10, maybe their interest isn't that great. I'd like to know who would be willing to flip positions if Watkins is there at this point, regardless of cost.

I'd go into the draft thinking it is a long shot, but you can't make the shot unless you take the shot and you want as many shot opportunities as possible.

Thats some Jedi Mind Trick thinking there Pablo! Brilliant and simple. I like it!

April 1st, 2014, 11:31 am
RIP Killer

Don't be shocked if mayhew is secretly obsessed with Anthony Barr. He went to his pro day personally and they need a good pass rushing LB (Palmer sucks enough they went with nickel more often than not last year). Plus, his pro day was amazing. 4.45 40

April 1st, 2014, 5:29 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

" And Martin Mayhew has already hinted that there are only five elite players in this year's draft, so if the Lions don't get a shot at any of them, trading down could be the way to go."

Got that from an article I was reading on prideofdetroit.com

So, who are the 5 he's referring to? My guess is:

Clowney
Watkins
Mack
Evans
Barr

I discounted the QB's because none are considered elite, and discounted the Tackles, although they have the ability to become elite.
Believe Mayhew would trade up if the price was fair.

April 1st, 2014, 6:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]