View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 NFC North related 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post NFC North related
I hope I don't get flamed for this but. :shock:

What do you guys think of Favre possibly retiring? What do you think that will do for the Lions next year in the NFC North if he does?

I think next year we should have a good chance of winning the division whether or not Favre retires, that is unless the injury bug hits us AGAIN.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 10th, 2005, 7:38 pm
Stadium Announcer

I don't believe he will retire. I heard that he wanted to announce last night but Sherman talked him out of it. Today, while listening to a Chicago station they played a statement he made today. While his tone was subdued it sounded to me if he wanted to take one more shot at the proverbial brass ring.

If I am wrong and he does call it quits, then the only obstacle in the way (besides the Lions, themselves) would be the Vikings.

Same station, later segment they suggested that unless Minnesota wins the Super Bowl (can I write that without Pablo getting in trouble with the pompous NFL), Moss will probably leave and head to Baltimore. If that was to happen, the stars and the moons would be perfectly aligned for the Lions to win the North and make an improbable but posssible run at a home field Super Bowl.

In me you can see that time of year when a few yellow leaves or none at all hang. In me you can see the glowing embers that lie upon the ashes remaining from the flame of my youth. So, respect more deeply that which you must give up before long.

January 10th, 2005, 8:09 pm
RIP Killer

Rabbi - I don't think we will get in too much troble for that comment. :lol:

No Favre - No Moss - I can dig that in the NFC next year! :twisted:

January 11th, 2005, 12:37 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

I don't think he'll retire. As for the North, it was gift-wrapped for them this year. They should have split with G.B. and should have at the very least split with Minn. this year. Whether Favre retires or not, the North isn't exactly what you could call a powerhouse division and Detroit could be the cream of the crop as next year should be gift-wrapped also. They have the talent in place (given the close games they played this year) and should look better next year with a year of maturity and a little overall team tweaking.

On paper Detroit has one of the scariest offenses in the league with the emergence of K.J. as a legitimate back and Williams and Rogers on the outside, provided C. Rog can stay healthy. Throw in a tight end in Alexander who is a good riceiver and Fitsimmons coming along nicely and a slot assortment of Hakim and Streets. Harrington has improved over last years numbers. If the receiving corps can stay healthy he should at least nudge 4,000 yards next year.

Sounds good, doesn't it?

This is all predicated on the fact that the receivers actually catch the ball when put between the numbers, and have to make the tough catch for this offense to be as potent as it looks like it can be. Every great quarterback gets bailed out by his receivers on a less than perfect throw.

Now for the downside. I don't think Hakim is as good as advertised, Streets didn't seem to be his normal self this year and Alexander hasn't been the receiver they hoped he would be. Throw in there the fact that C. Rog got hurt and you have the recipe for an underachieving team. As a team they drop far too many balls.

Hopefully the running game will pick up where they left off and not stumble out of the gates, everyone stays relatively healthy and they learn to hang on to the ball.

January 11th, 2005, 2:45 am
Modmin Dude

I believe that Hakim and Streets are gone (I think that Tom K mentioned this too.....)

That being said..I would like Moss to just go away, but I will take him leaving the division and I would have mixed feelings if Favre were to leave. I mean he's one of the greatest QBs of all time, but darn it he always beats us. If either one of those happen it would be nice, if both were to happen it would be SWEET!!! :idea:

Last edited by TheRealWags on January 11th, 2005, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 11th, 2005, 9:53 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I hope Hakim and Streets are gone next year. That way we could have some cap room to get WR who will not drop every pass thrown to them.

January 11th, 2005, 9:59 am

As most have said I wasn't to pleased with the play of Streets and Hakim this year and that is putting it lightly.

I'd like for us to let them go and pick up a nice posession recieved in FA. We got the guys to go deep we just need a good slot that can catch the short passes and have the potential in making them into big gains.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 11th, 2005, 1:04 pm
QB Coach

It seems as if every year there are questions about Favre retiring. This year they were the most serious (okay, that sounded terrible, LOL). I think that this was the most emotional season for Favre, with all of the personal issues surrounding him (his wife's cancer, his father's death last year, etc.) If there is anything that would make him hang it up, it would be outside issues, not his talent level. I don't think that's going to be a reason for Favre's retirement.

I don't think Moss will leave, no way. He is one of the best receivers in the game, and some lingering attitude concerns just isn't enough for me to trade a stud like that. He will be in Minnesota for a while.

January 11th, 2005, 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Water Boy

Wow, nobody in the North has a solid team on botjh sides of the ball, I may be partial but the Lions have the best team on both sides of the ball. And now with a year experiance for youngsters we should be the favorite in the North. BUT, Harrington needs to play good football in pressure situations and win a game for us in crunch time.

January 11th, 2005, 3:04 pm

I think bringing in a good FA QB to battle Joey for the starting job will only make our QB position more solid.

So... here's to wishful thinking.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 11th, 2005, 4:12 pm
Stadium Announcer

They should have split with G.B. and should have at the very least split with Minn

With all due respect, how does a 6-10 team "should have split" the divison crown? I know you guys had close games and injuries, but good teams overcome those obsticles.

January 13th, 2005, 11:08 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Agreed, good teams do overcome those obsticles. How do they split? They had G.B. down 13-0 at the half. Should have won that game. They were up by 16 in the second half of the Minnesota game....they should have won that game. At that point, they were still in it, but as you pointed out, good teams win the close games, and by losing those games it solidified the fact that they aren't a "good" team.

January 13th, 2005, 11:13 am
Stadium Announcer

Agreed, good teams do overcome those obsticles. How do they split? They had G.B. down 13-0 at the half. Should have won that game. They were up by 16 in the second half of the Minnesota game....they should have won that game.

Ok, so that puts Gb at 9-7 and Det at 8-8.

Quote:
At that point, they were still in it, but as you pointed out, good teams win the close games, and by losing those games it solidified the fact that they aren't a "good" team.

In all honesty, i say you guys will be a real good team in a year or two. Just need to shore up a few things, *cough* joey Harrington *cough*

January 13th, 2005, 11:20 am
Site Admin

Just need to shore up a few things, *cough* joey Harrington *cough*

lol...you should take something for that nasty cough!!! btw...what is your outside perspective on him and the Lions QB situation. I would be extremely interested to hear it because as a fellow NFC Northerner you have seen much of Detroit. Plus having the legendary Farve you know what a good QB brings to a team.

Damn, you should get with Pablo and write an article on an outsiders perspective...that would be awsome :shock:

January 13th, 2005, 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

lol...you should take something for that nasty cough!!! btw...what is your outside perspective on him and the Lions QB situation. I would be extremely interested to hear it because as a fellow NFC Northerner you have seen much of Detroit. Plus having the legendary Farve you know what a good QB brings to a team.

I think Joey Harrington was an excellent college qb, but just hasn't panned out in the pros(Jeff George, without the 'tude). I think Joey isn't that confident in the pocket, so he second-guesses his passes before he throws em. That hesitation can screw up his rhythm and cause him to throw inaccurate passes. You guys have a coach right now that knows qbs better than anybody in the NFL(mooch). If he doesn't like him, chances are he doesn't have what it takes.

January 13th, 2005, 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next