View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 10:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Dumars is going to resign 
QB Coach

Post Dumars is going to resign
Looks like Joe D is going to resign from the Pistons.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10748178/detroit-pistons-president-joe-dumars-expected-resign

I have a feeling this is probably more of a "we'll allow you to resign on your terms so we don't have to fire you" type of thing. He's never been a great GM in my opinion. Yes, he caught lightning in a bottle when he got Ben Wallace et al early on, and that set him up for about 5 years. But look what happened since then: no winning seasons since 2007-08, 8 different coaches in the past 14 years, and his overall winning percentage is barely over .500 (.527). His free agent signings have been terrible and his handling of contracts has been possibly the worst in the NBA. So much so that Bill Simmons uses Dumars' work as the defacto examples of bad contracts in the NBA. He wrote the following on Grantland:

Since 2008 alone, Dumars traded Billups for a washed-up Allen Iverson; gave away Arron Afflalo; famously over-over-over-overpaid Ben Gordon and Charlie Villaneuva; handed out way-too-lavish extensions to Hamilton and Prince; overpaid Jonas Jerebko, Rodney Stuckey and Jason Maxiell; then excreted 2014’s Smith-Jennings-Billups cap poop bisque.

Dumars drafting hasn't been any better. Look at his 1st round draft picks:

2000: Mateen Cleeves
2001: Rodney White
2002: Tayshaun Prince
2003: Darko Milicic
2004: n/a
2005: Jason Maxiel
2006: n/a
2007: Rodney Stuckey
2008: DJ White
2009: Austin Daye
2010: Greg Monroe
2011: Brandon Knight
2012: Andre Drummond

Of all of those, I'd say only Prince and Greg Monroe turned out good. I think it's probably too early to tell on the last two, but man, those are not good results. Especially Darko. That was atrocious.

Bottom line: Dumars had a good run from 2000-2004, but in the 10 years since, he's been bad. Really bad. If he wasn't "Joe D" from the Pistons, I think he would have been let go a long time ago. I have no animosity toward him though. He was my favorite player back in the Bad Boys days, so I'll always have a soft spot for him. It's time for a change though.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

April 8th, 2014, 12:43 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Dumars is going to resign
Totally agree. Dorko may have been the worse pick in Pistons history. Either Carmello or Wade should have been the pick.

April 8th, 2014, 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]