View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 5:30 am



Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Kids Reacting to an Walkman Is Wonderful and Horrifying 
Author Message
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Kids Reacting to an Walkman Is Wonderful and Horrifying
Anyone ready to feel old?
Gizmodo wrote:
Kids Reacting to an Old Cassette Walkman Is Wonderful and Horrifying
Mario Aguilar
Today 9:55am

Originally marketed in 1979, the first Sony Walkman turns 35 this year, and it's about as outmoded as a technology can be these days. That's why it's understandable that the kids in this delightful video, none of whom were not alive in the 90s, have no idea how to use the thing. Or what it's for. They can't even conceive a world in which a Walkman is useful.

For those who weren't around back then, it's worth noting that the Walkman was one of the first truly mass-market personal consumer electronics. It was the iPhone of its day. But don't worry; you'll have your revenge 20 years from now when the tykes of tomorrow have no idea what a Facebook is

http://gizmodo.com/kids-reacting-to-an- ... ign=buffer



This is awesome
LMAO!!!

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


April 14th, 2014, 11:51 am
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2701
Post Re: Kids Reacting to an Walkman Is Wonderful and Horrifying
I think Facebook will be around for a long time. It's losing its importance, as other niche social networks spring up offering more focused features (Instagram does photo sharing better, Whatsapp does messaging better, etc), but it's still the ultimate sort of online yellow pages/directory.

Here are a few things I don't think will be around in 35 years:

-Human-driven cars (replaced with robot-driven)
-Slate-style smartphones (will probably be destroyed by a combination of wearable technology and fold-able tablets)
-Desktop computers (this is obvious)
- TVs (people will have VR glasses)
- AM/FM radio (again, obvious IMO)
- gas stations
- 90% of the retailers in business today
- McDonald's


April 14th, 2014, 1:31 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Kids Reacting to an Walkman Is Wonderful and Horrifying
Blueskies wrote:
I think Facebook will be around for a long time. It's losing its importance, as other niche social networks spring up offering more focused features (Instagram does photo sharing better, Whatsapp does messaging better, etc), but it's still the ultimate sort of online yellow pages/directory.

Here are a few things I don't think will be around in 35 years:

-Human-driven cars (replaced with robot-driven)
-Slate-style smartphones (will probably be destroyed by a combination of wearable technology and fold-able tablets)
-Desktop computers (this is obvious)
- TVs (people will have VR glasses)
- AM/FM radio (again, obvious IMO)
- gas stations
- 90% of the retailers in business today
- McDonald's


TV won't disappear it will only change as time goes on. VR glasses don't provide a movie or TV experience, so I don't see them reducing the want for TVs. VR glasses are designed more around gaming and interactive learning. That type of thing can easily co exist with TV.

AM/FM radio will probably remain around as long as nationwide wireless internet is still to segmented and run by the telecoms making it to expensive. Even in 35 years I'm skeptical that people will get their collective heads out of their asses to make it happen.

Desktop computers are like TVs in that IMO they will only change over time but still be around. Power users and gamers will always flock towards desktops because you will always be able to make a more powerful desktop computer cheaper than a portable one. Hopefully desktops just wont be such eyesores and should get smaller while remaining just as easy to upgrade/build.

I think wearable tech is more than 35 years away. The few things they have right now are still to bulky and with the very slow advances in power sources it seems a much longer ways out before they can make them thin enough average people will actually wear them. Also they will have to battle the social stigma, young people will have to embrace that sort of thing for it become the norm and that will basically take a generation of young people to take the items into adult hood.


April 14th, 2014, 2:11 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2701
Post Re: Kids Reacting to an Walkman Is Wonderful and Horrifying
I think you're underestimating how long 35 years is.

Just to put it in perspective, 35 years ago there were no (or, if there were, only a tiny percentage of the population had them or used them):
-Cellphones
-Internet
-Cable TV
-HDTV
-PCs
etc. etc.


April 14th, 2014, 2:19 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Kids Reacting to an Walkman Is Wonderful and Horrifying
Blueskies wrote:
I think you're underestimating how long 35 years is.

Just to put it in perspective, 35 years ago there were no (or, if there were, only a tiny percentage of the population had them or used them):
-Cellphones
-Internet
-Cable TV
-HDTV
-PCs
etc. etc.


None of those items eliminated other tech entirely. Cable TV and HDTV are just advancements in TV technology, IMO I find it hard to believe in another 35 years they will just be gone especially since there has yet to be a reasonable replacement thought of. The fact is no matter how small and portable you make something when people are at home they want it bigger and better not portable. Cellphones have yet to remove the home phone and actually has helped to develop newer tech for use as a home phone in VOIP the telecoms have embraced. Desktops are the same as TVs, their general form may change but they will still be around because the goals right now are integrating a desktop into a home not to actually replace them.

35 years is a very short time to have a mainstay in everyday life disappear. Just look at Science Fiction movies, even in the futures they come up with there are some form of TVs. If those futurists and writers can't come up with concepts that eliminate the TV when they don't have to follow any rules how is someone going to develop something like that in 35 years.


April 14th, 2014, 3:46 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2701
Post Re: Kids Reacting to an Walkman Is Wonderful and Horrifying
Cellphones absolutely have eliminated the home phone. No one under the age of 30 has one (sidenote: few people under the age of 30 have cable). My parents had a home phone, but finally realized they no longer used it, and got rid of it last year. My grandparents still have theirs, but they are the only people I know personally that still have one.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the concept of watching TV programming is going away, I just think it will be delivered differently -- as in, not with a TV set. There are stats out there that show that, in some instances, people spend more time watching video on their tablets than their TVs (http://www.businessinsider.com/people-w ... oms-2013-3). Samsung's new top-of-the-line OLED includes a pair of glasses that, when you look at the screen, what you see is different from what someone without the glasses sees (so that people can watch two different shows on the same TV simultaneously).

When you really think about it, TVs suck. They are entertainment devices, but to use them, you must be -- not just in your house -- but in one specific room of your house, often in one specific spot. They can only deliver one stream of entertainment at a time, making them inflexible. And they're difficult to control, and probably always will be -- you can add in things like smartphone and tablet controls to make the process a little easier, but the fundamental problem is that you're sitting 5-10 feet away from the device.

As for desktops -- there will be high-powered workstations in some work environments, but in the house? No way. Unless you do video editing at home, or play the most graphically advanced games, you do not need a desktop. Once widespread fiber Internet takes off, cloud-based software will take over, further constraining the desktop market to a tiny subset of enthusiasts -- broadband is the processor, so goes the saying.


April 14th, 2014, 4:10 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Kids Reacting to an Walkman Is Wonderful and Horrifying
Blueskies wrote:
Cellphones absolutely have eliminated the home phone. No one under the age of 30 has one (sidenote: few people under the age of 30 have cable). My parents had a home phone, but finally realized they no longer used it, and got rid of it last year. My grandparents still have theirs, but they are the only people I know personally that still have one.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the concept of watching TV programming is going away, I just think it will be delivered differently -- as in, not with a TV set. There are stats out there that show that, in some instances, people spend more time watching video on their tablets than their TVs (http://www.businessinsider.com/people-w ... oms-2013-3). Samsung's new top-of-the-line OLED includes a pair of glasses that, when you look at the screen, what you see is different from what someone without the glasses sees (so that people can watch two different shows on the same TV simultaneously).

When you really think about it, TVs suck. They are entertainment devices, but to use them, you must be -- not just in your house -- but in one specific room of your house, often in one specific spot. They can only deliver one stream of entertainment at a time, making them inflexible. And they're difficult to control, and probably always will be -- you can add in things like smartphone and tablet controls to make the process a little easier, but the fundamental problem is that you're sitting 5-10 feet away from the device.

As for desktops -- there will be high-powered workstations in some work environments, but in the house? No way. Unless you do video editing at home, or play the most graphically advanced games, you do not need a desktop. Once widespread fiber Internet takes off, cloud-based software will take over, further constraining the desktop market to a tiny subset of enthusiasts -- broadband is the processor, so goes the saying.


The VOIP phones still have a place in the market and are no different than a home phone except they use your internet connection instead of a phone line. You are also ignoring the fact there is still areas in the US that get terrible cell reception and those people are unable to drop their home phone. Just like the home phone has still hung on because of the over thirty crowd, the Cellphone will remain 35 years from now because of the same reason.

Your underestimating the enjoyment people have for the home theater experience. Yeah for watching the news or catching a sitcom there are lots of more popular options, but people will still happily buy a huge TV to watch movies and sports. Tablets and other sorts of things wont change that. Even these people that no longer pay for cable use a TV, they just connect their PC or other device to a large screen which substitutes as cable. The glasses are neat but they are a gimmick and people as a whole wont want to have to put something on when they are just lying around their house hanging out with a few people. If anything I think the TV will be even more prevalent in the next 35 years because they will be getting so thin you can put them anywhere there is a wall and a power source.

Cloud based gaming isn't going to take the place of the current PC gaming market. No company is going to create a place that house enough resources to allow gamers to play the most advanced games without using their own hardware for the rendering and processing. A lot of gaming companies don't even like to set up their own servers and leave that to the customer. Right now there are things like Nvidia's Shield that allow you to stream your games anywhere, but that requires a PC to do so and it's not even selling that great. Desktops will remain in the home as the big brother to Tablets and laptops because we will continue to push the limits of the hardware that is created and Laptops/Tablets will never be able to house the best hardware. Even if their place becomes even more niche they will still be around. It would take a completely new concept from what we know as computers to eliminate them and even with as fast as tech changes, a change that drastic would take more than 35 years to develop, implement, and phase out the previous tech.

Now if we're talking 50+ years down the road I could agree with the desktop idea and maybe cellphones being replaced by something different, but 35 years just doesn't see enough of the people stuck on the old stuff out of the picture for the new thing to take over. The major difference between what were talking about and the whole Walkman thing is the walkman comes from the world of physical media. When the media changed those old devices were quickly dropped because they were no longer compatible. These days there isn't any real physical media outside of CD/DVDs and that's being phased out for digital media purchases. The things we're talking about won't have to deal with compatibility issues as drastic as the walkman.


April 14th, 2014, 6:47 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2701
Post Re: Kids Reacting to an Walkman Is Wonderful and Horrifying
Reading this guy's thoughts gives me the chills. I think we could be on the verge of a revolution on par, or perhaps even bigger than, the Internet.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835814

Select quotes:

Quote:
Initially, when the put the headset on, you notice there’s some tunnel vision going on, but after about 20 seconds, your eyes kinda just lock in, and it just CLICKS so hard. Suddenly, it feels natural. Factor in some quality headphones, and there really is a strong sense of… How do I put this… I guess presence. You really do feel as if you’re inhabiting this courtyard environment you’re in, even if the graphics are pretty meh.

Honestly, the moment it all clicks, it really feels whimsical and incredible. It’s just quite a memorable first time experience to say the least. I say this as a 30 year old.

...

In conclusion, I really feel that VR is the most impressive tech we’ve gotten since the internet. Feels like it’s gonna have even more impact on the world than smartphones. Just my hunch. But the sheer amount of potential is just mind shattering staggering.

..

Can't wait for them to get 4K displays in there. God the future is so exciting to think about.

I should also add that I've been to E3 fourteen times, and this was by far the most impressive one I've ever been to. It also gave me all kinds of perspective in terms of how far we've come, and how much this truly is a game changer, and I'm not just talking about video games here. The implications here are gonna be out of this world.

Initially it worried me a bit, cause I figured, as a society, we're all fudge one this goes mainstream. We'll lose people to this like we do to drugs.

But then I also started thinking about the flip side, and it was actually so exciting that it gave me hope again.

But I can't imagine what this is gonna do for paralyzed people. I don't doubt that in future, when you're old, retiring is just gonna consist of chilling in VR.


June 13th, 2014, 5:00 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3142
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Kids Reacting to an Walkman Is Wonderful and Horrifying
Blueskies wrote:
Reading this guy's thoughts gives me the chills. I think we could be on the verge of a revolution on par, or perhaps even bigger than, the Internet.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835814

Select quotes:

Quote:
Initially, when the put the headset on, you notice there’s some tunnel vision going on, but after about 20 seconds, your eyes kinda just lock in, and it just CLICKS so hard. Suddenly, it feels natural. Factor in some quality headphones, and there really is a strong sense of… How do I put this… I guess presence. You really do feel as if you’re inhabiting this courtyard environment you’re in, even if the graphics are pretty meh.

Honestly, the moment it all clicks, it really feels whimsical and incredible. It’s just quite a memorable first time experience to say the least. I say this as a 30 year old.

...

In conclusion, I really feel that VR is the most impressive tech we’ve gotten since the internet. Feels like it’s gonna have even more impact on the world than smartphones. Just my hunch. But the sheer amount of potential is just mind shattering staggering.

..

Can't wait for them to get 4K displays in there. God the future is so exciting to think about.

I should also add that I've been to E3 fourteen times, and this was by far the most impressive one I've ever been to. It also gave me all kinds of perspective in terms of how far we've come, and how much this truly is a game changer, and I'm not just talking about video games here. The implications here are gonna be out of this world.

Initially it worried me a bit, cause I figured, as a society, we're all fudge one this goes mainstream. We'll lose people to this like we do to drugs.

But then I also started thinking about the flip side, and it was actually so exciting that it gave me hope again.

But I can't imagine what this is gonna do for paralyzed people. I don't doubt that in future, when you're old, retiring is just gonna consist of chilling in VR.

I'm not sure if it'll be a revolution, but I got to try out an Occulus Rift a few months ago and it was crazy. Despite sitting in a chair, it really felt like I was moving with what I was seeing. It was really, really cool.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


June 13th, 2014, 6:14 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.