View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 12:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 What Lessons or Pieces of Advice Helped You the Most? 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post What Lessons or Pieces of Advice Helped You the Most?
Hopefully this will turn out to be an interesting thread. Occasionally, we all get great pieces of advice, or come to conclusions on our own. Of these, which have helped you in your life?

The biggest, for me, was realizing just how deeply people are motivated by their emotions. When you need to sell someone on a decision, play to their emotions, never their logic. Even the most logical, "cold" thinkers are still primarily (60-70%) motivated by their emotions -- the average person is 100% emotionally driven. Often times, people will craft an explanation for what they did, or what they intend to do, that sounds very well reasoned and very logical. In reality, they simply concocted a well-sounding explanation for their emotionally motivated action.

April 21st, 2014, 4:04 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: What Lessons or Pieces of Advice Helped You the Most?
Interesting thread idea Blueskies.

I learned awhile back that I'm in control of my life. Not my family, my wife, my boss, the president, God, etc. Pieces of advice around that continue to have a profound effect.

In the last year, my wife who is rather passive, has shown me the power of thinking bigger and asking for exactly what you want. I've been amazed at everything she has been able to accomplish by simply asking for things - it is very powerful. If our boys school is throwing any sort of function, she gets everything she needs free. Food, donations, sponsors, etc. Everyone seems amazed at what she gets, I've now come to expect that. I asked her to find a couple of sponsors for the soccer team I coach, we now have the two biggest sporting goods stores (Academy and Sports Authority) sponsoring us along with a number of small local businesses.

Here is a simple idea of how the idea worked for me this past week. I was at a work conference last week sponsored by monster.com. As usual, they had small giveaways - the best of which was their little monster guy. They had a few on their desk along with all of the usual chotskies like pens, lanyards, etc. Most of the attendees would walk away with pen, one of my co-workers nabbed the monster. Having 2 boys, I needed to land two so I asked for them, no problem. As I gathered with some of the rest of my team they were bummed they didn't get the monster guy - I asked why they didn't ask for one and got a variety of excuses. Then I remembered what really attracted me to their booth, they had a huge "teddy bear" (for lack of a better term) monster behind their booth.

So I set my sites higher and went back to the booth on the next break. Since this was day one of the conference (and I wasn't there for the rest of the week), they weren't going to part with the big monster. They also had a number of other conferences coming up, etc., etc., etc. I'm not saying it was super easy, but after a brief conversation guess who returned to the session and had the life size monster next to me the rest of the day (and in the passenger seat heading home).

How much of life do we miss by putting up imaginary barriers to things we want or simply not asking for what we really want? Figure out what it is you want, then just go get it - most times, you just have to ask! If it takes more than that, take Blueskies lesson to heart and play on peoples emotions...

April 21st, 2014, 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Thanks Blue, this is a great thread idea....

"love others as yourself"

Who among us doesn't love our self? We feed, care, and protect ourselves because that's what we do, but if we willingly choose to love those around us, our lives become much richer. The ability to assist someone through a hardship, or rescue them from a situation is so gratifying, even if it goes un-noticed or appreciated.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

April 22nd, 2014, 9:08 am
Modmin Dude

Excellent idea, Blue.

For me, I always try to understand the other point of view. Even though I may not agree with it, I find that when I take the time to put myself in their shoes, I have a better chance at understanding them and therefore making progress in whatever endeavor we may have.

April 22nd, 2014, 9:54 am
QB Coach

TheRealWags wrote:
Excellent idea, Blue.

For me, I always try to understand the other point of view. Even though I may not agree with it, I find that when I take the time to put myself in their shoes, I have a better chance at understanding them and therefore making progress in whatever endeavor we may have.

Agree 100%. Seek first to understand, then to be understood. One of the best pieces of advice ever.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

April 22nd, 2014, 11:06 am
Towel Boy

"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff". This advice helps me to take things in stride, and thus not overreact to whatever comes my way in life. My view is there are two thing that come up in my life. Things I can do something about, and things I either cannot, or choose not to do anything about. The small things I choose to do something about is how I make changes in my life towards being a better man. The things I cannot do anything about I either let go, or accept, because nothing is accomplished by sweating those.

April 22nd, 2014, 8:43 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

there are 3 that have had a big impact on my life...

"give up the illusion of control" you dont have control, you never have. Any well laid out plans you might have could be destroyed in seconds. You can guide your life, but you have no control over what happens in it. The ONLY THING you have control of is how you react to life as it happens to you.

and (this one was actually brought up on this site a little while back)

"bitterness and ressentment is like drinking from a poisoned glass and expecting your enemies to die from it." this one explains itself i think.

and lastly, but certainly not least

"The only think constant in life is change" this one coincides with the first one IMO.

April 23rd, 2014, 2:59 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

This Shakespeare quote:

Quote:
Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend, And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

April 28th, 2014, 1:52 pm
Modmin Dude

Something my dad used to tell me all the time:
Quote:
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear

April 28th, 2014, 1:58 pm
RIP Killer

Something my mom used to tell me all the time:

Quote:
Stop that or you'll go blind

perhaps that is why my vision is starting to fade...

April 28th, 2014, 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
Something my mom used to tell me all the time:

Quote:
Stop that or you'll go blind

perhaps that is why my vision is starting to fade...
Hopefully you'll stop before the hair gets out of control......... :shock:

April 28th, 2014, 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]