View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 8:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Who is goes in top 9? How does the Lions board look then? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Who is goes in top 9? How does the Lions board look the
I think the first nine players to go off the board will be: Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Bortles, Matthews, Robinson, Evans, Manziel and probably Clinton-Dix. Safeties usually make last minute climbs in the draft, particularly ones with good coverage ability like HaHa.

April 23rd, 2014, 10:20 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
I think the first nine players to go off the board will be: Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Bortles, Matthews, Robinson, Evans, Manziel and probably Clinton-Dix. Safeties usually make last minute climbs in the draft, particularly ones with good coverage ability like HaHa.

So, your thinking we'll be choosing from Barr, Ebron, Gilbert or Donald at 10? Do you see someone else in the mix?

April 26th, 2014, 9:56 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

So, your thinking we'll be choosing from Barr, Ebron, Gilbert or Donald at 10? Do you see someone else in the mix?

In my latest mock I have Aaron Donald going in the top 10, and the way its playing out I see kyle fuller or Justin gilbert being our guy at 10.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 26th, 2014, 11:27 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

In my latest mock I have Aaron Donald going in the top 10, and the way its playing out I see kyle fuller or Justin gilbert being our guy at 10.

If Donald goes prior to 10 then who do have falling? As for corners, I'm not sold on the speculation that the Lions will go that way at 10.

April 27th, 2014, 11:48 am
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

If Donald goes prior to 10 then who do have falling? As for corners, I'm not sold on the speculation that the Lions will go that way at 10.

I have only Bortles going top 10 as far as QBs go, and I only put Detroit taking a CB because really no one else is there. Evans is gone, both tackles gone...dont see Ebron as the pick..

Again, this is only a mock and MY thoughts of how it will play out. Chances are it'll be way off (but probably more accurate than Kipers yet again :lol: ) I really see the Lions moving up, but I never account for trades in my mocks.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

April 27th, 2014, 12:21 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Personally, I like the idea of the Lions trading back, always have, but I don't see it happening. First of all, Mayhew has proven far more likely to trade up. I think he has only traded back once and that was after the first round. Next, I don't envision anyone falling to ten that someone is going to want so badly that they are willing to move up. That means Detroit is staying put or moving up and I think Mayhew has done his best to position the Lions to move up using free agency to fill needs so he can burn draft picks. The question in my mind then becomes is he going to target Watkins, Evans or one of the top two LT's? Then of course, how far up will he move? Of course, with my luck, he'll move up to take Clowney selling the farm for a part time player. However, my money would be on one of the two tackles and I don't think he much cares which one.

April 27th, 2014, 4:44 pm
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I don't see the Lions going for Ebron or Donald, at all. Only way Donald is even a consideration is if they move him to DE, or if they trade Suh. I don't see that happening, realistically.

If the Lions choose at 10 and things fall as I anticipate (unlikely), I could definitely see the Lions going for Anthony Barr. I think Mayhew still feels defensive linemen are more important than defensive backs, and that up front pressure is the way to go if all things are equal. I can't say I disagree with him. Ansah is a definite starter, but the other side remains a question mark. If Jones or Taylor are ready to start, then Barr could be moved to strong linebacker and they could use him as a pass rushing OLB in a hybrid set.

April 27th, 2014, 5:49 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I don't see the Lions going for Ebron or Donald, at all. Only way Donald is even a consideration is if they move him to DE, or if they trade Suh. I don't see that happening, realistically.

If the Lions choose at 10 and things fall as I anticipate (unlikely), I could definitely see the Lions going for Anthony Barr. I think Mayhew still feels defensive linemen are more important than defensive backs, and that up front pressure is the way to go if all things are equal. I can't say I disagree with him. Ansah is a definite starter, but the other side remains a question mark. If Jones or Taylor are ready to start, then Barr could be moved to strong linebacker and they could use him as a pass rushing OLB in a hybrid set.

What concerns me with Barr is his coverage skills. He's touted as a pass rusher. But if we moved him to SLB, would he only be used in certain packages? To me, that sounds like a waste of a #10 pick. Literally though, I dont know how his coverage skills are, because all they talk about is his quickness off the edge and ability rush the passer. And even in that sense, some say he lacks the skills to be an all around pass rusher and that he simply uses his speed. Sure, that can be coached. But again, is that worth the #10 pick? In one argument, you can say yes it is because they used #5 last year on a guy that needed coaching and he turned out to be a solid pick.

April 27th, 2014, 5:55 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I could see them taking Barr. He has one of the higher ceilings in this draft, and developing unpolished talent is what the draft is all about. Although, I don't see instinctive play from him, and that is one of my highest priority's for LB's.

April 27th, 2014, 6:13 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I could see them taking Barr. He has one of the higher ceilings in this draft, and developing unpolished talent is what the draft is all about. Although, I don't see instinctive play from him, and that is one of my highest priority's for LB's.

Mine too. I'd like me a Luke Keuchly type LB if we were to get one.

April 27th, 2014, 8:08 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

In this years draft - Mack, Mosley, Shazier, and Van Noy. Just my two-cents.

April 27th, 2014, 8:22 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

In this years draft - Mack, Mosley, Shazier, and Van Noy. Just my two-cents.

I'd be happy with Van Noy in round 2.

April 27th, 2014, 9:19 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
What concerns me with Barr is his coverage skills. He's touted as a pass rusher. But if we moved him to SLB, would he only be used in certain packages? To me, that sounds like a waste of a #10 pick. Literally though, I dont know how his coverage skills are, because all they talk about is his quickness off the edge and ability rush the passer. And even in that sense, some say he lacks the skills to be an all around pass rusher and that he simply uses his speed. Sure, that can be coached. But again, is that worth the #10 pick? In one argument, you can say yes it is because they used #5 last year on a guy that needed coaching and he turned out to be a solid pick.

Barr would likely be taken strictly as a pass rusher. Even if he is not a full time player, he's a pass rusher and those are a premium commodity. With Ansah on the right side, Barr would rush the passer from the opposite side and be facing the slower RTs in the league. Like Ansah, Barr would need to develop strength, conditioning and moves. But I could see that happening for him. As for pass coverage, if the Lions use him as an OLB in their hybrid set ups, I doubt he'll be tagged to drop into coverage. Besides, the Lions use a nickel package most of the time anyway.

I am not pushing for the Lions to take Barr, I simply think he's the best option with the 10th pick if the draft goes down how I anticipate. I would prefer they trade back about 4 to 8 spots and get more value and a pick or two in the middle rounds as compensation. I think from about the 7th to mid 20s there is little overall difference in available talent. In the 14 to 18 range the Lions could go safety, corner, receiver or defensive end.

As for Kyle Van Noy in round two, that would be fine. But we are talking about their round one options in this thread.

April 28th, 2014, 11:17 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

The more I think about it the less I see the Lions trading up to get Watkins. However, Mack, Robertson and Matthews are in play. Because of that, I see them going after an offensive lineman if they cannot move out of the 10 spot. The top linemen that would be left at that point would be Lewan and Martin. I didn't like Lewan's play this year. He sem to move down to their level rather than bring the others up. I'm not too sure he would be an upgrade over Rieff and I don't know what the transition to Right tackle would be to either of them. Mike Mayock has proposed Martin as a viable pick for the Lions because he can play any position along the line and be productive. Because I am still PO'd about Martin taking Fairley instead of a guard I kind of like this idea. An article in the Det News serves up further rationale for drafting Martin at #10.

If the Lions pass on Martin/(Lewan if he is there) I see little. Mayhew has spent a lot on the saftey position in the last two years so I cannot see him spending even more by drafting one in the first round. There are no DE's rated that high available and that leave DT, CB and LB. don't see a DT, Mayhew seems to really like his young corners and he wants a pass rusher so I end up with Barr. Corner being a close option behind that.

To me, all the more reason to trade back.

May 4th, 2014, 10:49 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I have these guys being gone in the first 7 picks:

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Greg Robinson
3. Sammy Watkins
4. Khalil Mack
5. Jake Matthews
6. Taylor Lewan
7. Mike Evans

If a bunch of QBs go and one of these guys fall to Detroit they should rush the card up there immediately and take him.

They best two players most likely to be on the board are Aaron Donald and Eric Ebron if the Lions don't want a DT or TE than more than likely they will have to be reaching for whoever is the best DB - I think Clinton-Dix is the best of the DB lot over Darqueze Dennard and Justin Gilbert.

The only thing that would piss me off is if they reached for WR like in Mel Kiper's draft or took Anthony Barr and moved him to defensive end - since his only skill is rushing the passer I don't see how they don't.

May 4th, 2014, 11:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2