View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 8:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Silverdome Today 
RIP Killer

Post The Silverdome Today
I had many great memories here, from some amazing MNF games to the lone playoff win in the last 50 years, to personally playing there twice in front of 20K+. What a shame...

Quote:
Here's What Happens When You Abandon A Football Stadium

It's been just 12 years since the Detroit Lions moved to Ford Field, a stadium constructed for the NFL team in downtown Detroit. But the Pontiac Silverdome, the Lions' old haunt, has quickly fallen into disrepair.

WDIV-TV's Alex Atwell explored the stadium and found a somewhat dismal scene.

Atwell was at the stadium as fans came to pick up seats they had purchased as memorabilia. An online auction is planned for mid-May, selling off the stadium's assets, from a scoreboard to toilets, a popcorn machine to a sauna.

There's been extensive damage to the Silverdome's roof, shown in chopper footage from WXYZ-TV last year and in the tweet below.

Only a couple decades ago, the Silverdome was home to some of the Lions' most memorable moments, like when Barry Sanders became the third player ever to rush for 2,000 yards or more in a season:

The Silverdome was built with public funds in the 1970s. Though the Lions left for Ford Field in 2002, the site was a venue for concerts and other events in years after. In 2009, Canadian developer Andreas Apostolopoulos' company Triple Properties Inc. purchased the property for $580,000 -- a fraction of its $55.7 million cost.

Triple Properties has not disclosed what they plan to do with the site.

But no matter what happens to the Silverdome, or where the Lions play, one thing remains constant: Detroit fans are still, always (no matter how unreasonably), absolutely positive that this is the year they'll get to root for their team in the Super Bowl.

April 30th, 2014, 9:29 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: The Silverdome Today
Entirely the fault of the Pontiac Stadium Authority, the group that REFUSED to renegotiate the deal with the Lions, and after the Lions left they tried to play hardball with potential buyers and expected to get premier return on a property that wasn't making money.

What a bunch of idiots. The people in the city of Pontiac should have skewered those responsible.

May 5th, 2014, 1:22 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

so sad. I have soooooo many good memories of that place. Thats where I saw Pink Floyd, megadeth and soooo many others, not counting the rediculous amount of Lions games. When I close my eyes I can still smell the "Dome Dogs". (which were GAWD AWEFUL!!! lol)

But we should have known it was going to fall into disrepair. the old owners wouldnt even fix the turf when it was comming apart. they had to delay at least 2 games to fix it mid games in its final year.

Just sad....

EDIT TO ADD: just curious what was YOUR favorite memory off the Silverdome? Mine comes down to a tie between Pink Floyd (BEST. CONCERT. EVER.) and watching Luther Ellis thorw is dirty badonkadonk game socks to the crowd after the final game there. (why the heck did he think someone would want THOSE???)

May 5th, 2014, 4:48 pm
RIP Killer

Favorite memory: November 27,1997 (Thanksgiving Day).

The Lions played the Bears. Barry ran for close to 200 yards, scored three touchdowns. Lions were down 20-17 at the half. Barry scored on a 40 yard run before the half to close the score and make it a 3 point game. My buddy turns to me and says 'Let the beatdown begin'. The Lions score 38 points in the second half, and the defense completely smothers the Bears offense.

Final score: 55-20.

Close second was the 1998 Turkey Day game against Pittsburgh that went into overtime. Jerome Bettis says 'Heads' on the coin toss, but the referee tells him he said tails. He CLEARLY said heads, and the coin came up heads, but the referee insists he said tails. Lions get the ball, go down the field, kick a FG for the 19-16 win. Controversial.

June 4th, 2014, 10:31 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:

The Lions played the Bears. Barry ran for close to 200 yards, scored three touchdowns. Lions were down 20-17 at the half. Barry scored on a 40 yard run before the half to close the score and make it a 3 point game. My buddy turns to me and says 'Let the beatdown begin'. The Lions score 38 points in the second half, and the defense completely smothers the Bears offense.

Close second was the 1998 Turkey Day game against Pittsburgh that went into overtime. Jerome Bettis says 'Heads' on the coin toss, but the referee tells him he said tails. He CLEARLY said heads, and the coin came up heads, but the referee insists he said tails. Lions get the ball, go down the field, kick a FG for the 19-16 win. Controversial.

Oh Man I remember that game! Yet another rule change influenced by Detroit Lions football!

June 4th, 2014, 2:14 pm
Hall of Fame Player

You know, they could take what is left of the roof off, clean it up and use it for outdoor events. Maybe even bring a soccer team to play there.

June 4th, 2014, 4:11 pm
Modmin Dude

BillySims wrote:
You know, they could take what is left of the roof off, clean it up and use it for outdoor events. Maybe even bring a soccer team to play there.
Bring back the ! :shock:

June 4th, 2014, 4:50 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Soccer and Lacrosse are the 2 fastest growing sports amount youths in America.

Heck, even Rugby.

Then there is always outdoor concerts and monster trucks.

Also a perfec venue for an NFL Developmental league team. Just need a few entrepenuers to work with the NFL TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.

June 4th, 2014, 6:18 pm
3rd Round Selection

m2karateman wrote:

Only memory: December 24, 2000 (Christmas eve)

My first ever Lions match attended in person. The Lions played the Bears. A win would put them into the playoffs. Bears hit a last second field goal from 50+ yards. In the off-season, the Lions move to Ford Field and hire Matt Millen.

Basically, I think I'm personally responsible for a decade plus of Lions futility. I am the albatross around the team's neck!

June 5th, 2014, 8:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]