View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 1:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 One week till the 1st round 
RIP Killer

Post One week till the 1st round
1) who do you think the Lions will take?
2) who do you want the Lions to take?

May 1st, 2014, 8:44 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: One week till the 1st round
1) It's hard to say who they will actually get. If I was a betting man i'd put my $ on a DB or possibly Donald. (we already said we may cut Fairly loose at the end of the season, and the Suh contract is up in the air. Donald is a good security blanket) I just dont see Watkins or evans being there at 10, and the tallent dropoff is so much that anyone else in the 2nd round looks just as good as the #3 prospect ar WR.

2) im on the Watkins or bust bandwagon. I'd love to see us sell next years picks to get him!

May 1st, 2014, 10:08 am
Hall of Fame Player

I really don't see a way the Lions can screw up the 1st round. Unless, they stupidly trade up and give away several picks, ( I don't believe they can do it and only give up a 2nd round pick.)

This draft is loaded with WRs. Beckham will look great in a Lions uni if we feel we have to use our 1st on a WR.

I am more interested in the 2nd round this year. Van Noy or Ford woe be good. I am still concerned about Ford's back though.

Perfect world? Manzeil is still on the board at 10 and Jerry Jones can't help himself but to give up a butt load of picks to move up to 10 to get Johnny. Beckham should still be there at 16.

May 1st, 2014, 10:17 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

BillySims wrote:
I really don't see a way the Lions can screw up the 1st round. Unless, they stupidly trade up and give away several picks, ( I don't believe they can do it and only give up a 2nd round pick.)

This draft is loaded with WRs. Beckham will look great in a Lions uni if we feel we have to use our 1st on a WR.

I am more interested in the 2nd round this year. Van Noy or Ford woe be good. I am still concerned about Ford's back though.

Perfect world? Manzeil is still on the board at 10 and Jerry Jones can't help himself but to give up a butt load of picks to move up to 10 to get Johnny. Beckham should still be there at 16.

Fords a 3-4 rush end, we need a SLB that can play in space, and be able to rush. I like Van Noy alot. But if they trade away their 2nd, he'll be gone by the 3rd. Think they should also consider Christian Jones LB from Florida State, possibly a 4th rounder.

May 1st, 2014, 8:02 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I really have no idea what the Lions should do.

I like the idea of adding Sammy Watkins but I question whether it's worth the cost. If Golden Tate is a #3 receiving talent, then how much better is it to have two #1 caliber talent's and a #3 as opposed to a #1, a #2, and a #3? The Lions receiving corp sucked (after Johnson), but that was because they did not have any legitimate #2 or #3 wide receivers (and arguably not even a good #4). Would having legitimate #2 (2nd or 3rd round pick in an allegedly deep WR draft) and #3 (Tate) receivers be sufficient to have a good air attack, or do we really need to have two #1's and a #3? Still, CJ's not getting any younger and he already has a gimpy knee, so if the price for trading up is right (3rd round pick) then sure, go for it.

People seem to love that DT Donald. I would hate to see the Lions invest yet another high pick for a defensive line that already has three high picks (#2, #5, and #13) but if he's as good as the hype and if he can play some defensive end (allowing all four of them to be on the field at once) then perhaps it would make sense, especially if the Lions and Fairley are going to part ways.

Coincidentally, if the Lions do not resign or trade Fairley (for good value) then he was a busted pick for them. He was injured early on and really hasn't played that much or done much other than deprive the team of #13 pick talent that could have been used elsewhere.

I feel that the Lions' biggest needs are at #2 WR, CB, LB, and S. I could understand the rationale for trading a 3rd round pick to be able to move up to draft Mack, but I'm skeptical of players from small no-name schools that did not have to play against tier 1 teams and decent LBs are normally available in rounds 2-3. Also, if they plan to go with nickel formations then they would need more help at CB anyway. I'd love to see them get some first-rate talent at CB. It wouldn't bother me if they traded down to draft the best CB available at #15-20.

May 2nd, 2014, 7:53 am
RIP Killer

Growler - I know many fans put a heavy focus on need, but we know Mayhew focuses on BPA in the first year after year. If they stick at 10, that player could well be Donald which will probably make some fans throw up. Long term, with question marks around both Suh and Fairley, it isn't a bad move. With just a touch of creativity and taking Van Noy in round two, imagine a front 7 like:

RDE - Ansah
RDT - Fairley
LDT - Donald
LDE - Suh
SLB - Van Noy
MLB - Tulloch
WLB - Levy

With Suh's skill set, I can see him slotting over to DE at times and then back to DT. That's some beef up front, but also pretty good speed to make the QB uncomfortable. As a RB, can you imagine running into that front four - ugh!

I don't think the Lions are looking to draft a corner if Houston is healthy. You then go safety and WR the next couple of rounds.

May 2nd, 2014, 8:56 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Specific players are hard to target, so I'm gonna say what positions I want to see the Lions target.

WR - this has to be done early. They need a player who can step in as a number one receiver when Calvin is hurt or other teams are dedicating multiple defenders to him.

LB - they have to get someone who can replace Ashlee Palmer, and who is better in coverage than Stephen Tulloch. This way in a nickel package Tulloch comes off the field and our middle zone coverage is improved.

S - Despite the signing of James Ihedigbo, we can still use a good all around safety to develop. Also, with more and more teams using TEs in the slot to create matchup issues, a big physical safety with coverage skills would be a great addition as a nickel defensive back in certain packages.

DE - will the combination of Devin Taylor and Ziggy Ansah click? Is Jason Jones going to be able to come back from his injury? I think the Lions need to get another pass rusher for the rotation.

CB - I have no confidence in the development of Jonte Greene and Chris Greenwood. Bill Bentley is a nickel back, not a starter. Darius Slay could be a starter, but the idea of Houston or Mathis being the other starter scares me.

OC/OG - Middle round pick on someone who is big enough to start either position. Rob Sims seems to be struggling, and Dom can't play forever.

K - We may not need the next Jason Hanson, but someone who is better than David Akers was last year would be really good.

QB - Orlovsky and Moore as backups. 'nuff said.

May 5th, 2014, 11:33 am
NFL Veteran

Pablo wrote:
Growler - I know many fans put a heavy focus on need, but we know Mayhew focuses on BPA in the first year after year. If they stick at 10, that player could well be Donald which will probably make some fans throw up. Long term, with question marks around both Suh and Fairley, it isn't a bad move. With just a touch of creativity and taking Van Noy in round two, imagine a front 7 like:

RDE - Ansah
RDT - Fairley
LDT - Donald
LDE - Suh
SLB - Van Noy
MLB - Tulloch
WLB - Levy

With Suh's skill set, I can see him slotting over to DE at times and then back to DT. That's some beef up front, but also pretty good speed to make the QB uncomfortable. As a RB, can you imagine running into that front four - ugh!

I don't think the Lions are looking to draft a corner if Houston is healthy. You then go safety and WR the next couple of rounds.

I would think given Donald's size and speed he would be the guy moving out to end instead of Suh. Even with that though I think the run defense will always be a little weak with any combination of Fairley, Donald, and Suh in the middle. IMO the Lions need a real NT next to Suh, but I wouldn't say no to that front seven.

May 5th, 2014, 4:45 pm
QB Coach

m2karateman wrote:
Specific players are hard to target, so I'm gonna say what positions I want to see the Lions target.

WR - this has to be done early. They need a player who can step in as a number one receiver when Calvin is hurt or other teams are dedicating multiple defenders to him.

LB - they have to get someone who can replace Ashlee Palmer, and who is better in coverage than Stephen Tulloch. This way in a nickel package Tulloch comes off the field and our middle zone coverage is improved.

S - Despite the signing of James Ihedigbo, we can still use a good all around safety to develop. Also, with more and more teams using TEs in the slot to create matchup issues, a big physical safety with coverage skills would be a great addition as a nickel defensive back in certain packages.

DE - will the combination of Devin Taylor and Ziggy Ansah click? Is Jason Jones going to be able to come back from his injury? I think the Lions need to get another pass rusher for the rotation.

CB - I have no confidence in the development of Jonte Greene and Chris Greenwood. Bill Bentley is a nickel back, not a starter. Darius Slay could be a starter, but the idea of Houston or Mathis being the other starter scares me.

OC/OG - Middle round pick on someone who is big enough to start either position. Rob Sims seems to be struggling, and Dom can't play forever.

K - We may not need the next Jason Hanson, but someone who is better than David Akers was last year would be really good.

QB - Orlovsky and Moore as backups. 'nuff said.

Pretty much agree with what you're saying here. I could see us targeting a TE in the middle rounds as well, especially if C.J. Fiedorowicz falls to us in the 4th (which I doubt). I think we'll be able to land 3 starters, 2-3 rotational guys and 2 developmental guys from this draft. If we do as well as we did last year, this could be the class that turns us into consistent contenders.

May 5th, 2014, 6:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]