View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2014, 10:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 With the 10th pick in the 2014 draft the Lions take Ebron 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: With the 10th pick in the 2014 draft the Lions take Ebro
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Any thoughts on round 2? I hope we go back 7 but who knows. We'll probably take a QB :roll:

I want a starter at SSLB. Hard to say. Did anyone think Marqise Lee would not go in the 1st.

May 8th, 2014, 11:48 pm
All State

I'm not thrilled about the pick. Hopefully he works out.

May 9th, 2014, 1:38 am
Div 1 - Starter

sweetd20 wrote:
liontrax wrote:
We still need a WR and an OLB.

The need for WR has decreased with Ebron on the team and his ability to lineup outside and in the slot, I can see him being the big target that Boldin was for Flacco in Baltimore.

Yeah, I think Ebron is the WR. He's been described as being similar to Mike Evans but a little larger. (I suppose he doesn't catch the ball as well.) I watched one of his highlight videos and he looked much larger than the other players on the field and he looked like he was playing WR and not TE.

Last edited by Growler on May 9th, 2014, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, 2014, 2:29 am
Div 1 - Starter

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Plus, that ridiculous Browns/Viking flip-flop killed any decent trade value in that immediate range (5th rounder?!? Really?!??!!).

That move made no sense to me. You're going to flip-flop with the Vikings to take CB Justin Gilbert who in all likelihood would have been available at the next pick? Did they think that Minnesota was going to draft Gilbert or that someone else was going to try to trade with Minnesota to take Gilbert?

May 9th, 2014, 2:33 am
QB Coach

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/69646/video-sport-science-on-eric-ebron

Sports Science video on Ebron. He definitely puts up some impressive numbers.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

May 9th, 2014, 4:06 am
3rd Round Selection

Just watched this highlight video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GgY1-xjk4E

Always misleading, because they don't include the lowlights, but it looks like he's got great hands, impressive jumping ability and decent route running. No clue what his blocking is like, though, but with Pett on the roster I don't think that's an issue.

A 2 TE set, with CJ, Pett, Ebron, Tate and Bush in the backfield IMO gives us some great options for run or pass, and some impressive receiving threats if it's the latter.

I was confused at first waking up to this, after we resigned Pett, but overall I'm happy with the pick. Given the WRs had gone, and there wasn't much defensive value at the pick, I think this guy's a good choice. Excited to see him in a Lions uniform, and see what we get tonight. BPA from the available DEs, OLBs, CBs, Ss or WRs would make me happy.

May 9th, 2014, 5:11 am
Junior Varsity

Sooooo, Millen loved drafting WR. Now, we are on a "lets draft a TE" kick?

This is what I have said all along - we waste opportunities on draft day.

May 9th, 2014, 7:59 am
QB Coach

NJLION wrote:

It's very easy to say that, but what would you have done differently? What opportunities did they waste?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

May 9th, 2014, 8:18 am
Heisman Winner

He's a good player and shows nice explosion but he's one dimensional and it felt like a luxury pick. It felt like a pick that a playoff team makes in the latter part of the first round. Not a pick you make in the top 10 with so many defensive options that could have made a difference this year. We used a top 10 pick to basically make Pettigrew a complete tight end. We now have one who can block and one who can catch and they are both first rounders. :roll:

I'm disappointed but will reserve judgment until the draft completes.

May 9th, 2014, 8:31 am
NFL Veteran

yostevo wrote:
He's a good player and shows nice explosion but he's one dimensional and it felt like a luxury pick. It felt like a pick that a playoff team makes in the latter part of the first round. Not a pick you make in the top 10 with so many defensive options that could have made a difference this year. We used a top 10 pick to basically make Pettigrew a complete tight end. We now have one who can block and one who can catch and they are both first rounders. :roll:

I'm disappointed but will reserve judgment until the draft completes.

What defensive options were available that would make any real difference? I didn't see anything available and Ebron should make an impact immediately for the offense. Ebron doesn't change anything with Pett since they play in a completely different manner. Ebron is more of a WR that can move inline as a TE than a TE that moves outside.

May 9th, 2014, 8:42 am
Rookie Player of the Year

The board shaped up in a really tricky way in round one. I'm liking how two is shaping up, though. Think we'll be in a position to get a good defensive player (knock on wood).

Last edited by thelomasbrowns on May 9th, 2014, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, 2014, 8:50 am
RIP Killer

I like the pick. The guy is a beast. Why people are getting chubs over fauria is beyond me, the guy couldn't get open outside of his first 5 catches in the league. Enron will line up everywhere and will be a massive mismatch, just like graham or Julius Thomas. What pisses me off is what they have to feed stafford to make him merely a top 10 QB... Stafford needs to pull his head out of his rectum, no more excuses.

The lions really got screwed by the lack of value that everyone saw in the QBs. We were all hoping for a huge run on QBs and OTs and it didn't happen. The lions took a very good player, elite at this position which is becoming a massively increased role in today's offenses.

Still need S, CB, OLB, DE, C/OG. They need to look hard at a big CB coming up. I see OL or OLB pass rusher hybrid with our comp pick though.

May 9th, 2014, 8:52 am
Junior Varsity

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
NJLION wrote:

It's very easy to say that, but what would you have done differently? What opportunities did they waste?

I'm not unhappy with our mid-later round picks. But, early on:

After drafting Stafford, with the second first round pick, I would have taken Michael Oher to give him better protection instead of Pettigrew.

I was never comfortable with the Best pick because of durability and Fairley, Titus Young and LeShoure all had character and/or work ethic questions.

In this round, I would have taken a DB. I don't dislike the player and I think he can contribute, but I don't think he fills our biggest needs and we could have improved a glaring weakness that has held us back for years.

May 9th, 2014, 8:55 am
NFL Veteran

conversion02 wrote:
I like the pick. The guy is a beast. Why people are getting chubs over fauria is beyond me, the guy couldn't get open outside of his first 5 catches in the league. Enron will line up everywhere and will be a massive mismatch, just like graham or Julius Thomas. What pisses me off is what they have to feed stafford to make him merely a top 10 QB... Stafford needs to pull his head out of his rectum, no more excuses.

The lions really got screwed by the lack of value that everyone saw in the QBs. We were all hoping for a huge run on QBs and OTs and it didn't happen. The lions took a very good player, elite at this position which is becoming a massively increased role in today's offenses.

Still need S, CB, OLB, DE, C/OG. They need to look hard at a big CB coming up. I see OL or OLB pass rusher hybrid with our comp pick though.

They still need a mid round WR because they have no one really behind Tate if there is an injury. IMO they can just ignore safety since they stole away the kid from NO and Carey can fill in if there is an injury, the starters should be fine. I'm really not sure any of the safeties left would have anymore potential than what is already on the roster.

May 9th, 2014, 9:10 am
RIP Killer

OK, I've tried to let the pick set in a bit by now. I can see better how they might use a player like Ebron. Honestly, I probably would have had issues with almost any player they would have taken at 10 and really liked the trade down option this year. I personally didn't like Barr. I like Donald there, but I think many would have had issues with another DT. The DBs, IMO would have been a reach. I'll give Mayhew some benefit of the doubt with his BPA, let's see how Ebron looks in the offense.

But with all that said, I still have a number of concerns...

Roster Issues: Does it make sense from a roster standpoint...
1) We just gave Pett a 4-year deal
2) You have Fauria as the red zone threat
3) We drafted Michael Williams last year (although more a blocking TE)
4) The Lions now have 6 TEs on the roster with Thompson and Veldman as well
5) Lots of starter and depth needs at other positions

Coach Speak: What has the coaching staff been saying...
1) We value guys with great hands (Ebron has 11% drop rate - ugh, has concentration issues like another Lions former #1 pick at TE)
2) He was our 2nd highest rated offensive player (really, OK Watkins first but Ebron ahead of Greg Robinson?)
3) He is a playmaker, I would expect a playmaker to average more than 2.6 TDs per season over 3 years in college

Vernon Davis: He is being compared to the last top 10 TE taken...
1) Speed: 40-yard dash, Ebron 4.6 vs. Davis 4.38
2) Explosion: vertical leap, Ebron 32" vs. Davis 42"
3) Power: bench, Ebron 24 reps vs. Davis 33

Jimmy Graham: We will use him like Jimmy Graham...
1) Graham's measurables were also much better than Ebron's
2) Is Stafford suddenly going to start throwing picture perfect passes like Brees
3) Pick reminds me of a scheme fit like when Marinelli came in and needed that WLB to mirror the Bucs (Pick 9, Ernie Sims)

Onto round 2 fellas!

May 9th, 2014, 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next