View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 5:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 With the 10th pick in the 2014 draft the Lions take Ebron 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: With the 10th pick in the 2014 draft the Lions take Ebro
I think Lewan and Martin were available and the Lions are going to need a left guard and a center. Fuller and Dennard were available. Clinton-Dix and Pryor were available. We all know how poorly the secondary has produced.

I seem to remember hearing what a beast Roy was. This guy is not a tightend. He is a wide receiver that plays the tightend position.

It is a horrible pick. I'm sorry if you like it so much, but I don't see how this makes the team better. This isn't about the team, it is about Stafford. No, they are not the same thing.

Last year Mayhew was so certain bringing Bush in would return Stafford to 'greatness' he signed Stafford to an overpriced contract. when the 'greatness' didn't appear he fired the coaches and went in search of coaches that could bring the 'greatness' out. He then signed Tate to a significant contract to help Stafford. Now this.

If I were Junior I'd be telling Mayhew how he had best hit it out of the stadium with the rest of his picks.

May 9th, 2014, 9:20 am
NFL Veteran

Jafo wrote:
I think Lewan and Martin were available and the Lions are going to need a left guard and a center. Fuller and Dennard were available. Clinton-Dix and Pryor were available. We all know how poorly the secondary has produced.

I seem to remember hearing what a beast Roy was. This guy is not a tightend. He is a wide receiver that plays the tightend position.

It is a horrible pick. I'm sorry if you like it so much, but I don't see how this makes the team better. This isn't about the team, it is about Stafford. No, they are not the same thing.

Last year Mayhew was so certain bringing Bush in would return Stafford to 'greatness' he signed Stafford to an overpriced contract. when the 'greatness' didn't appear he fired the coaches and went in search of coaches that could bring the 'greatness' out. He then signed Tate to a significant contract to help Stafford. Now this.

If I were Junior I'd be telling Mayhew how he had best hit it out of the stadium with the rest of his picks.

If you want an impact you don't draft Lewan or Martin. The CBs in this class are not day 1 starters both will most likely be getting looks in the slot for their first years and I really don't see either guy being able to press the bigger NFCN WRs. Clinton-Dix would push Quinn back to the SS spot where he wont fit well in the new scheme and both safeties were not top 10 picks in anyway. Every player you mentioned other than maybe Lewan would have most likely ended up sitting on the bench most of the season.

May 9th, 2014, 9:36 am
QB Coach

Jafo wrote:

None of us know if it is a horrible or a great pick yet. Millen occasionally got good draft "grades" immediately following the drafts. As has been pointed out many times, it's nearly a 50-50 proposition whether a given draft pick will pan out or not.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

May 9th, 2014, 9:47 am
QB Coach

According to Walter football, reports were that we were going to take Barr if he fell to 10. That probably would have angered more people on here, but I would have preferred the defensive help.

May 9th, 2014, 9:50 am
3rd Round Selection

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
None of us know if it is a horrible or a great pick yet.

This x100

May 9th, 2014, 10:12 am
Modmin Dude

My thoughts in bold
Pablo wrote:
Roster Issues: Does it make sense from a roster standpoint...
1) We just gave Pett a 4-year deal - Pett got a 3 year deal. How would you feel had they not resigned Pett and not drafted Ebron? That would leave Fauria & Williams as the top 2 TEs
2) You have Fauria as the red zone threat - UDFA that had a good start; don't recall him doing much in the later part of the year after defenses saw him.
3) We drafted Michael Williams last year (although more a blocking TE) - Blocking and 7th round pick with no experience I believe, wasn't he on IR last year?
4) The Lions now have 6 TEs on the roster with Thompson and Veldman as well - Who???
5) Lots of starter and depth needs at other positions - BPA, if what they say is true (being #2 offensive guy/considered blue-chip) then can't fault them IMO

May 9th, 2014, 10:20 am
Div 1 - Starter

this guy is the 2nd best wr in the draft behind only sammy watkins. good pick, puts a big mismatch in the middle of the field. defenses are in trouble :cheers:

May 9th, 2014, 10:30 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Like most I'm disappointed, although I usually am after Mayhews Picks. Now that it has sunk in though I figure we were pigeon holed somewhat. Won't spend the required picks to move up for the premier talents at the top, and don't see sufficient trade interests to move down. So, stick to your board and go BPA. Prior to the draft I figured we'd take Barr or Ebron if we didn't trade.
Ebron reminds me most of Antonio Gates. So maybe we should be intrigued. Waiting to be impressed by the Lions with the rest of their picks. Lets see if Mayhew has finally learned how to manage the draft. Or was last year a fluke?

May 9th, 2014, 10:48 am
NFL Veteran

TheRealWags wrote:
My thoughts in bold
Pablo wrote:
1) We just gave Pett a 4-year deal - Pett got a 3 year deal. How would you feel had they not resigned Pett and not drafted Ebron? That would leave Fauria & Williams as the top 2 TEs
2) You have Fauria as the red zone threat - UDFA that had a good start; don't recall him doing much in the later part of the year after defenses saw him.
3) We drafted Michael Williams last year (although more a blocking TE) - Blocking and 7th round pick with no experience I believe, wasn't he on IR last year?
4) The Lions now have 6 TEs on the roster with Thompson and Veldman as well - Who???
5) Lots of starter and depth needs at other positions - BPA, if what they say is true (being #2 offensive guy/considered blue-chip) then can't fault them IMO

I agree with everything your saying Wags and Petts deal is really even shorter than that seeing as all the guaranteed money is in the first two years. Fauria was completely non existent outside of the redzone and is not athletic enough to stretch the middle of the field. They have really needed a TE like this for a few years now, Pett really never gave more than a safety valve to Stafford and has never even been very reliable as that either.

May 9th, 2014, 10:49 am
Team MVP

The more I think of it the more I understand the pick. I didn't like any of the corners at 10 and thought the OTs would have sat for a year or two.

Makes u wonder though...allenslions said no Ebron. Also said no chance of Barr yet it's being reported he would have been the pick. What happened to Beckham??

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 9th, 2014, 11:07 am
QB Coach

A lot of media outlets were wrongly saying Pett only got a 3 year deal. It's a 4 year $16M deal with a $4M signing bonus. Base salaries of $1.1, $2.8, $3.65 and $4.35 and the bonus spread evenly ($1M) over each year. His base salary is guaranteed this year and next year becomes guaranteed in March. He could be cut before March 2015 to save only $800,000 in cap space. My guess is he's around for at least the next two years. One of Fauria and Williams is unlikely to make the roster.

May 9th, 2014, 11:25 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

kdsberman wrote:
The more I think of it the more I understand the pick. I didn't like any of the corners at 10 and thought the OTs would have sat for a year or two.

Makes u wonder though...allenslions said no Ebron. Also said no chance of Barr yet it's being reported he would have been the pick. What happened to Beckham??

I stayed out of the AllensLions conversations for a reason. If you look at some of his older posts you will see the accuracy of his predictions are very VERY low, exspecially for someone who is supposed to have insider knowledge. The draft is a crap shoot, and only GM's have any real knowledge of whats going to happen, but so far this year all his predicitions have been strike outs, and thats pretty much on par with those he has made in the past. He left the message board when WJB called him out last year. im still waiting for him to prove WJB wrong...

May 9th, 2014, 11:29 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Two words: Kris Durham

This a passing-focused league and the Lions in particular are a passing-focused team.

Yes, they have Golden Tate now, but what if CJ or Tate gets injured? The Lions need three good receivers.

Pettigrew is an average TE whose primary skill set is blocking. Fauria may be a red-zone threat, but otherwise, he is not useful in the passing game.

May 9th, 2014, 11:30 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Quote:
I stayed out of the AllensLions conversations for a reason. If you look at some of his older posts you will see the accuracy of his predictions are very VERY low, exspecially for someone who is supposed to have insider knowledge. The draft is a crap shoot, and only GM's have any real knowledge of whats going to happen, but so far this year all his predicitions have been strike outs, and thats pretty much on par with those he has made in the past. He left the message board when WJB called him out last year. im still waiting for him to prove WJB wrong...

I'm guessing he's a low-level guy there. Don't beat him up.

This year he was right on two counts:
1) The Lions didn't move Suh
2) The Lions targeted a receiving option

May 9th, 2014, 11:32 am
League MVP

Quote:
1) We just gave Pett a 4-year deal
2) You have Fauria as the red zone threat
3) We drafted Michael Williams last year (although more a blocking TE)
4) The Lions now have 6 TEs on the roster with Thompson and Veldman as well
5) Lots of starter and depth needs at other positions

Pett isnt a reliable player, particularly in the receiving game. He ll still play a lot but going to him in the passing game is going to become less and less frequent as it did last season - funny how people thought he was playing better that way...Fauria is still a red zone threat/3rd TE but he lacks speed and runs poor routes. They cant rely on him for much more than red zone. Michael Williams hasnt played a down in the NFL. It d be great if he makes the team but his spot isnt etched in stone.

Dont forget the WR position where Ebron quickly jumps into the top 3 with Calvin and Tate. You have to remember this kid is a receiver lining up at TE and also that the Lions busted on Broyles and Young, plus had Burleson crumble into pieces and Scheffler deteriorate. So they lost 4 key pieces for the passing game and have now added just 2 back. This was the biggest need on the team - Durham, Ogletree, other nameless drivel can rightfully assume end of the roster spots like they would on the other 31 NFL teams.

Quote:
Coach Speak: What has the coaching staff been saying...
1) We value guys with great hands (Ebron has 11% drop rate - ugh, has concentration issues like another Lions former #1 pick at TE)
2) He was our 2nd highest rated offensive player (really, OK Watkins first but Ebron ahead of Greg Robinson?)
3) He is a playmaker, I would expect a playmaker to average more than 2.6 TDs per season over 3 years in college

IMO, Ebron is a much more fluid athlete than Mike Evans. Greg Robinson was the 3rd best OT, I dont find him impressive. He has really poor technique in the run game and he s a project with upside rather than a ready made player like Matthews and Lewan - who IMO are better overall athletes also. No surprise that STL is planning to play him at guard. Back to Ebron, dropping routine balls I agree is a big concern but he can make some really tough catches and get some extra yards once he has the ball.

Quote:
Vernon Davis: He is being compared to the last top 10 TE taken...
1) Speed: 40-yard dash, Ebron 4.6 vs. Davis 4.38
2) Explosion: vertical leap, Ebron 32" vs. Davis 42"
3) Power: bench, Ebron 24 reps vs. Davis 33

Very few compare favorably to Davis' workouts but it doesnt matter bc Ebron is more fluid, has better hands and comparing at the same age runs better routes. He ll be better earlier in his career than Davis at the same timepoints.

Quote:
Jimmy Graham: We will use him like Jimmy Graham...
1) Graham's measurables were also much better than Ebron's
2) Is Stafford suddenly going to start throwing picture perfect passes like Brees
3) Pick reminds me of a scheme fit like when Marinelli came in and needed that WLB to mirror the Bucs (Pick 9, Ernie Sims)

Onto round 2 fellas!

I dont think he ll be Jimmy Graham either but he s a masively upgraded target for Stafford over whats been out there the past two seasons besides Calvin. Dont kid yourself about that.

May 9th, 2014, 11:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next