View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 11:57 am



Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1 
Author Message
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2297
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
Killwill25 wrote:
Vikes about to take Dennard

It's possible but Manziel, Lewan, Donald, and Mosley are still in play.


May 8th, 2014, 9:11 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2297
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
I hope they can get a deal with a team wanting Manziel, Lewan, or Martin.


May 8th, 2014, 9:12 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2297
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
I liked the idea when they brought him in because of what they can do with him. He's going to lineup at TE, slot, outside, out of the backfield, you name he will lineup there. Ebron is going to be more like a combo Anquan Boldin/Aaron Hernandez type player than he will be a TE.


May 8th, 2014, 9:16 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2297
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
That Rams D-line could be scary good now with the addition of Donald.


May 8th, 2014, 9:41 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2297
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
I love seeing Mr. Cocky sweating it out and getting pissed off just sitting in that green room.


May 8th, 2014, 9:44 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7236
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
Not gonna lie. That hurt

I'm glad the Lions didn't trade up for him at that price. Two 1sts and a 4th is a LOT to give up for a WR.


I laughed at the idea it would only cost a 2nd round pick.


That's all it took last year.. if u watched it.


Last year was last year. This is this year. And last year was the only time you can site that it was that cheap in the top of the 1st round.


May 8th, 2014, 11:51 pm
Profile
Online
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3108
Location: London, UK
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
For those wondering whether the Lions tried to trade up or down, Mayhew says at the end of this video that they did try to trade up and trade down, but didn't get any deals that made sense. FYI.

http://www.freep.com/videonetwork/3548569184001

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.


May 9th, 2014, 3:59 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2297
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
I can believe not trading up at that price tag but as fast as they ran up there to grab Ebron I have my questions about any desire they might have had to move back. Even if the first few offers were a little underwhelming take advantage of the time and if nothing does develop go up and take your guy. I'm not upset I'm happier with Ebron in this offense than seeing another undersized WR like Beckham.


May 9th, 2014, 6:05 am
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7236
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
For those wondering whether the Lions tried to trade up or down, Mayhew says at the end of this video that they did try to trade up and trade down, but didn't get any deals that made sense. FYI.

http://www.freep.com/videonetwork/3548569184001


Yeah. He spent a whole 10 seconds waiting to see if the phone would ring before he tried to beat Millens land speed record.


May 9th, 2014, 7:55 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1332
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
BillySims wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
For those wondering whether the Lions tried to trade up or down, Mayhew says at the end of this video that they did try to trade up and trade down, but didn't get any deals that made sense. FYI.

http://www.freep.com/videonetwork/3548569184001


Yeah. He spent a whole 10 seconds waiting to see if the phone would ring before he tried to beat Millens land speed record.


They had like 90 mins before their pick to make calls gauging interest. There was no one looking to move up. The pick right after them went all the way down to the last couple seconds and couldn't be moved. There were no players left worth trading up for at that point of the draft and it showed as there wasn't another trade up until the saints traded up to 20.


May 9th, 2014, 8:51 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2249
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
I think Ebron (whatever you think of his positional value) and Lewan were the last of the 'blue chip' prospects, so if we moved down, we were definitely going to be getting a second tier player. That combined with the fact of what the Vikings got in exchange for the flip flop with the Browns (5th rounder) is enough explanation for me for not trading down.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


May 9th, 2014, 9:01 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10286
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
Lewan was 2nd tier compared to Matthews and Robinson. Lewan was picked so high because of need and the impending run on OTs. Lewan, IMO, is a future Robert gallery. I don't see franchise LT in any way shape or form.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


May 9th, 2014, 5:29 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9848
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
For those wondering whether the Lions tried to trade up or down, Mayhew says at the end of this video that they did try to trade up and trade down, but didn't get any deals that made sense. FYI.

http://www.freep.com/videonetwork/3548569184001


Yeah. He spent a whole 10 seconds waiting to see if the phone would ring before he tried to beat Millens land speed record.


They had like 90 mins before their pick to make calls gauging interest. There was no one looking to move up. The pick right after them went all the way down to the last couple seconds and couldn't be moved. There were no players left worth trading up for at that point of the draft and it showed as there wasn't another trade up until the saints traded up to 20.



You keep saying this Rao. Do you not understand that deals happen more often when teams are on the clock than in the time preceeding the draft? And as Pablo has asked NUMEROUS times before, what is the harm in waiting until your time is almost expired before making the pick? The fact that the Lions made the pick so quickly is more evidence to the fact that they would be taking Ebron if he were on the board, and didn't want to consider trade options that may arise while they were on the clock. The idea that the Titans took so long to make the pick is NOT an indication that they were trying to trade out. As I've said before, it could be an indication that there were disagreements about who the pick should be. Lastly, the fact that no other teams traded down after the Lions until the Saints-Cards trade doesn't mean that no other teams were interested in moving up. Those teams picking along the way may have had a player targeted that fell to them and they had no intention of trading out of the pick.

When it comes down to it, I think the Buffalo-Cleveland trade strongly skewed pick values at that point. The price Buffalo paid was entirely too high, and I think drove some of the expectations up for compensation on trades.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


May 15th, 2014, 2:35 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1332
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Gameday Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Round 1
m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
For those wondering whether the Lions tried to trade up or down, Mayhew says at the end of this video that they did try to trade up and trade down, but didn't get any deals that made sense. FYI.

http://www.freep.com/videonetwork/3548569184001


Yeah. He spent a whole 10 seconds waiting to see if the phone would ring before he tried to beat Millens land speed record.


They had like 90 mins before their pick to make calls gauging interest. There was no one looking to move up. The pick right after them went all the way down to the last couple seconds and couldn't be moved. There were no players left worth trading up for at that point of the draft and it showed as there wasn't another trade up until the saints traded up to 20.



You keep saying this Rao. Do you not understand that deals happen more often when teams are on the clock than in the time preceeding the draft? And as Pablo has asked NUMEROUS times before, what is the harm in waiting until your time is almost expired before making the pick? The fact that the Lions made the pick so quickly is more evidence to the fact that they would be taking Ebron if he were on the board, and didn't want to consider trade options that may arise while they were on the clock. The idea that the Titans took so long to make the pick is NOT an indication that they were trying to trade out. As I've said before, it could be an indication that there were disagreements about who the pick should be. Lastly, the fact that no other teams traded down after the Lions until the Saints-Cards trade doesn't mean that no other teams were interested in moving up. Those teams picking along the way may have had a player targeted that fell to them and they had no intention of trading out of the pick.

When it comes down to it, I think the Buffalo-Cleveland trade strongly skewed pick values at that point. The price Buffalo paid was entirely too high, and I think drove some of the expectations up for compensation on trades.


The Titans were reported to have tried trading out and to have refused an offer from the Browns. I'm not just looking at the fact they used all their clock as reason for believing they tried to move.


May 15th, 2014, 3:02 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.