View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 3rd Round - Lions take C Travis Swanson, Arkansas 
RIP Killer

Post 3rd Round - Lions take C Travis Swanson, Arkansas
Center, Arkansas... 6'5", 312 lbs

Overview - Prepped in Texas. Redshirted in 2009. Started all 50 games at center 2010-13. First two-time captain in Razorback history.

Strengths
Functional base in pass protection. Can work his hips and seal and execute combo blocks. Aware and alert -- good in-line reactions. Durable and battle-tested -- started all 50 games of his career and has experience locking horns with NFL-caliber defensive tackles. Highly respected two-time captain. Intelligent vocal leader with outstanding football character.

Weaknesses
Needs to bulk up his frame and get stronger. Limited push, power and explosion -- too often content to stalemate. Does not play with a load in his hands. Tends to bend at the waist, lean and fall off blocks. Spends too much time on the ground. Struggles to sustain on the second level. Center only. Produced the fewest reps (20) of 225 pounds of any lineman at the combine.

Draft Projection
Rounds 3-4

Bottom Line
Experienced, dependable pivot who lacks starter-caliber power and athleticism. Lack of versatility hurts his chances, and he will have to survive on smarts, leadership and competitiveness.

May 9th, 2014, 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Post Re: Third Round - Lions take Travis Swanson
Very, very good pick. Good work Mayhew.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 9th, 2014, 10:12 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

What a REACH!!!!!!

May 9th, 2014, 10:13 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Re: 3rd Round - Lions take C Travis Swanson, Arkansas
i think this was a reach, i really liked brooks at that pick and think he ll have a better career. the lions need a center for the future but i dont this kid is quite good enough especially with raiola coming off his best season. if it was a desperate need and swanson was going to start this season, then fine but otherwise i dont love it.

May 9th, 2014, 10:21 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Write up on Travis Swanson.

Needs to bulk up his frame and get stronger. Limited push, power and explosion -- too often content to stalemate. Does not play with a load in his hands. Tends to bend at the waist, lean and fall off blocks. Spends too much time on the ground. Struggles to sustain on the second level. Center only. Produced the fewest reps (20) of 225 pounds of any lineman at the combine.

What the hell are they thinking? Oh, I forgot it's the Lions, there is no thinking!

May 9th, 2014, 10:22 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
What a REACH!!!!!!

The way centers are coming off the board it was smart in my opinion.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

May 9th, 2014, 10:22 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

That was a nervous Mayhew pick with a couple Cs coming off the board especially with more than enough players that could still add instant impact. I would have much rather seen a Martin, Nix, Moncrief, Desir at that pick than a C that never really progressed during his time in college.

May 9th, 2014, 10:34 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

The guys a slug kds, no position versatility, weak, fewest lifts, no explosion. Sure he's big, but the NFL is full of big guys that can't play. This looks like a reach, big time, to me. Just think there was so much more talent to be had.

May 9th, 2014, 10:36 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
The guys a slug kds, no position versatility, weak, fewest lifts, no explosion. Sure he's big, but the NFL is full of big guys that can't play. This looks like a reach, big time, to me. Just think there was so much more talent to be had.

You could be right. I thought he was pretty good but maybe I'm wrong.

May 9th, 2014, 10:41 pm
#1 Overall Pick

The kid was a 50 game starter in the SEC, if he's such a slug he must have the highest football IQ ever because he was doing something right.

May 9th, 2014, 10:47 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I hope I'm wrong. I had a 5th round grade on him because of his deficiencies.

May 9th, 2014, 10:49 pm
#1 Overall Pick

liontrax wrote:
I hope I'm wrong. I had a 5th round grade on him because of his deficiencies.
+

He measured out at the combine almost identical to Travis Frederick. I just don't see how he is so bad.

May 9th, 2014, 10:55 pm
RIP Killer

Graded out well at 90% over his last 24 games, highest grade for any active OL in college over that span. At 6'5", pretty big boy for a center - get him under the Lions conditioning staff and he could add bulk/muscle while learning under Dom.

Look how much Dom added strength wise just last year. Reiff also added strength/muscle after his rookie year. The Lions didn't add a starter in round 3 which many hoped for in 2014, looks like a 2015 pick for a team claiming to want to win now...

I don't hate the pick, but there were about 5 guys I loved sitting there value wise and at positions of current need.

May 9th, 2014, 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I agree with Pablo. There were several defensive guys and a WR I would have taken before him. But, Swanson does fill a need. It's just a next year need that he fills.

May 9th, 2014, 11:28 pm
Team MVP

Swanson was a guy I was rooting for us to pick, maybe would have preferred it at 111, but since we traded that away they made the move. He'll learn for a season and step in for Raiola next year. Good young o-line we're building here. Just hope we spend the rest of our picks on D.

May 9th, 2014, 11:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next