View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 3rd Round - Lions take C Travis Swanson, Arkansas 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: 3rd Round - Lions take C Travis Swanson, Arkansas
In this article in the Freep, Mayhew claims he can play guard.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lions draft Arkansas center Travis Swanson in third round: 'We really like this guy'
10:25 PM, May 9, 2014 |

By Dave Birkett

Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

The Detroit Lions have been looking for a backup center to groom as a replacement for Dominic Raiola, and they might have found one in the third round tonight.

The Lions took Arkansas center Travis Swanson with the 12th pick of the third round, 76th overall.

Swanson was rated the fourth best center in the draft by ESPN’s Scouts Inc.

“Big, smart, tough, versatile offensive lineman with position flexibility,” Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said. “We really like this guy. Very, very, very smart kid.”

Mayhew said Swanson also can play guard, and likely will see time at that position during training camp.

“We got a big guy who’s physical and can play the game,” Lions coach Jim Caldwell said. “Smart and he has grit.”

Raiola, 35, is entering his 14th NFL season and has played the last two years on one-year contracts.

He’s coming off one of the best seasons of his career and has said he wants to play at least two more years.

The Lions have four picks left in tomorrow’s final four rounds, two compensatory picks at the end of the fourth round and single picks in the fifth and sixth rounds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really trying to like this pick. Just think it was to high for him.

May 10th, 2014, 12:02 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Mayhew has a pretty good track record with online. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

May 10th, 2014, 12:30 am
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:
I hope I'm wrong. I had a 5th round grade on him because of his deficiencies.
+

He measured out at the combine almost identical to Travis Frederick. I just don't see how he is so bad.

It's just typical LB fan dribble..."this guy sucks, I wanted jimmy bob fart breath who will be an all pro, mark it down". Oh, and three years later, that butt clown is out of the league. We are all fans, don't get so butt hurt about the kitties not drafting who you wanted. If you (typical fans) were so smart, they would be getting paid to do this for a living.

Good god, did wjb hack everyone's accounts?

May 10th, 2014, 1:33 am
Div 1 - Starter

Gosh, I hope he likes to lift weights because we're going to have to put him through a rigorous muscle building program.

May 10th, 2014, 4:48 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Actually, this is he only pick so far that I actually like. Just wish it had happened in the first or second rounds. Not with this guy, but a pick along he O-line.

May 10th, 2014, 6:12 am
Varsity 1st Team

rao wrote:
The kid was a 50 game starter in the SEC, if he's such a slug he must have the highest football IQ ever because he was doing something right.

Agree. Lots say our current center sucks......but he's played 10 years as a starter......must be doing something right
Give the new guy a year to learn and get stronger and watch.....could be a great pick.

Optimism: It's all I've had the last 40 years

May 10th, 2014, 7:45 am
RIP Killer

You have to remember that the health of Rob Sims is a concern as well, and Swanson has the size to step in for him. I don't think this pick was that far of a reach. As much as people on this forum, and Detroit fans in general, have clamored about how bad Raiola is, most other teams in the league would have loved to get Dom because of his intelligence and his pass blocking consistency. As a run blocker Raiola left much to be desired, but he was pretty good in the passing game.

That said, Swanson was a small reach, not a HUGE reach as some are saying. There were other players on the board that may have graded out higher, but I think the pick was OK.

May 10th, 2014, 7:45 am
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
You have to remember that the health of Rob Sims is a concern as well, and Swanson has the size to step in for him. I don't think this pick was that far of a reach. As much as people on this forum, and Detroit fans in general, have clamored about how bad Raiola is, most other teams in the league would have loved to get Dom because of his intelligence and his pass blocking consistency. As a run blocker Raiola left much to be desired, but he was pretty good in the passing game.

That said, Swanson was a small reach, not a HUGE reach as some are saying. There were other players on the board that may have graded out higher, but I think the pick was OK.

I would have liked Montcrief a little more or maybe Kareem Martin, but I think the difference in player in pretty marginal. Given whats left in the draft they still have a lot more options for WR and DE where as OC is pretty much barren after Swanson. I also think Martin isn't really much different than Devin Taylor and the Lions need more of a pure pass rushing prospect for 3rd down than they need another 3 down balanced DE.

May 10th, 2014, 9:16 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

If Mayhew really believes that you need to get 3 starters out of a draft taking a guy who next year will win the center job by default it makes sense. Except of the fact the best two centers had already come off the board and reached for a guy who really looks like he was lost the mix of the remaining centers. I think there were a couple better guards available in Spencer Long and Gabe Jackson available but I guess the Lions are not looking to replace Rob Sims yet.

May 10th, 2014, 10:04 am
QB Coach

I think Gabe Jackson was a great pick for the Raiders, but the Skins reached by 2 rounds for Long. From what I've seen most had him as 5th round prospect. I like Swanson and hope he can be as successful as the Warford pick.

May 10th, 2014, 11:14 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Warford is a whole different animal, he was a first round talent but teams were worried about him and keeping his weight under control.

May 10th, 2014, 11:25 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I was highly critical of his selection, and for that, I apologize. I often get too intense in regards to anything involving my favorite team. Jeez, on game day my wife often leaves the room to avoid listening to my tirades.
I watched the Lions post selection press conference on Swanson, and coach Washburn said positive things, seemed very happy with the pick. After what he has done with our offensive line, his opinions speak volumes. Who am I to question a selection that Washburn endorses.

May 11th, 2014, 8:28 am
Junior Varsity

Swinson, Swenson, Swanson, oh there it is right there on the briefcase. Samsonite!

May 11th, 2014, 9:28 am
Heisman Winner

This is the kind of pick the lions have not been making fo years that they should have. They've spent so much capital trading up for skill position guys that they haven't had these rd3-4 picks to feed real nfl players to their OL and DB. I hope to see more picks like this going forward.

May 11th, 2014, 9:37 am
QB Coach

Wackadoo wrote:
Swinson, Swenson, Swanson, oh there it is right there on the briefcase. Samsonite!

HA! Well played sir.

May 11th, 2014, 10:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next