View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 8:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Walter Football's Lions Draft Grades 
Modmin Dude

Post Walter Football's Lions Draft Grades
Quote:
http://walterfootball.com/offseason2014det.php

NFL Draft Individual Grades:

10. Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina: C+ Grade
I can't say I'm crazy about this pick. There's a reason tight ends have fallen in recent years, and Eric Ebron is viewed as a slightly overrated prospect. I don't hate this selection though because Matthew Stafford needs more weapons, and Ebron is definitely an upgrade over the disappointing Brandon Pettigrew.

40. Kyle Van Noy, DE/OLB: B Grade
This pick makes a lot of sense. It may seem odd because the Lions have run a traditional 4-3, but they'll have a hybrid stop unit under Jim Caldwell. With that in mind, Detroit had to find a pass-rushing linebacker, and Kyle Van Noy is arguably the top player available who fits that profile. This is about the area where I expected Van Noy to go.

76. Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas: B Grade
This is a pretty decent pick. Travis Swanson fits the range as a mid third-round selection. He also fills a need because the Lions had to find a long-term answer at the center position. I think I had Swanson mocked to the Lions at this spot at one point, so it obviously makes a lot of sense to me.

133. Nevin Lawson, CB, Utah State: B Grade
This pick makes sense. The Lions have cornerback issues, though they weren't going to take one as early as No. 10 because they like the young players at the position. They had to take one at some point though, and Nevin Lawson fits this range.

136. Larry Webster, DE, Bloomsburg: C Grade
I had the Lions picking Larry Webster - at No. 189. This is a reach, but Webster fills a need. Detroit lost Willie Young to Chicago via free agency, so it needed to find a defensive end.

Follow @walterfootball for updates.

May 10th, 2014, 2:50 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Walter Football's Lions Draft Grades
Quote:
158. Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton: B+ Grade
Caraun Reid could have gone in the third round, and no one would have complained very much. The Lions are getting very good value, and it's not a surprise that they're taking a defensive tackle. They said they wanted to pick someone who could perhaps push the lethargic Nick Fairley

May 10th, 2014, 2:56 pm
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Walter Football's Lions Draft Grades
After seeing how the draft fell a few picks into the 5th I think the Lions made a good decision to grab Webster in the 4th. The 49ers picked up a guy very similar before the Lions picked again in the 5th.

May 10th, 2014, 3:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]