View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 4:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Why is everyone so mad about Ebron? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Why is everyone so mad about Ebron?
Leo wrote:
I think Taylor Lewan was actually the best player on the board when the Lions drafted (I had him going #6) - the Titans who didn't need a tackle took him with the very next pick.

Are you kidding? Most draft analysts were looking at Tennessee to either go OT or DE/OLB at this pick. Their offensive tackle situation is not very promising. Roos wasn't that good last season, and exactly which Michael Oher do you expect to get? They made that pick for their future. Now Lewan can either completely supplant Michael Roos, or he understudies for a year and then takes over when they let Roos walk next year.
The Lions have FAR less of a need at OT than the Titans do.

Leo wrote:
I really think there were 4 players in play for Detroit at #10 Lewan, Donald, Ebron and Beckham. Taking a defensive back or linebacker with Gilbert and Barr off the board would have been a total reach I even feel the Bears reached for Kyle Fuller at 14.

Lewan and Donald don't fill needs for the Lions going into this season and maybe beyond. If the pick came down to Ebron and Beckham - I'm glad they took Ebron because he brings more to the table than another undersized slot receiver.

How is Beckham 'undersized'? He's a tad over six foot. That's big enough to be a starting wideout, and not necessarily just a slot receiver. It's not like he's expected to play power forward.

Leo wrote:
As for not letting the clock wind down doesn't really matter. I doubt the Lions were willing to trade down below the bears and risk having the Bears take a guy they wanted. I sure the Lions talked to the Titans, Giants and Rams and didn't find any takers.

It still begs the question: what's the harm in letting the clock wind down and allowing the opportunity for someone to come along with a blockbuster offer? If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. It's FOOLISH to shut out that chance when you have absolutely nothing to lose by doing it. Houston took longer on the clock than the Lions did, and they pretty much knew who they would be taking, IF nobody offered a huge deal to them for that pick. Even when the Colts took Andrew Luck, they burned off more time than the Lions did. As a GM of a professional football team, you always keep your options open. Or, at least, that's how it should be.

May 19th, 2014, 3:23 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
What's the harm in letting the clock wind down and allowing the opportunity for someone to come along with a blockbuster offer?

Plus it would have gave me more time to get another draft party hot dog. Damn Lions!!!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

Last edited by TheRealWags on May 19th, 2014, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fixed quote

May 19th, 2014, 4:05 pm
NFL Veteran

Beckham is a touch over 5'11'' not 6'. He is slightly undersized for an outside receiver, but he makes up for it with good route running and decent speed.

May 19th, 2014, 4:31 pm
3rd Round Selection

m2karateman wrote:
Leo wrote:
I think Taylor Lewan was actually the best player on the board when the Lions drafted (I had him going #6) - the Titans who didn't need a tackle took him with the very next pick.

Are you kidding? Most draft analysts were looking at Tennessee to either go OT or DE/OLB at this pick. Their offensive tackle situation is not very promising. Roos wasn't that good last season, and exactly which Michael Oher do you expect to get? They made that pick for their future. Now Lewan can either completely supplant Michael Roos, or he understudies for a year and then takes over when they let Roos walk next year.
The Lions have FAR less of a need at OT than the Titans do.

One commentator that I read's take (for what it's worth) :

Quote:
The Most Incomprehensible Pick Award

The award goes to Tennessee, which chose a player it might not be able to use in 2014. Offensive tackle Taylor Lewan slipped to the Titans at 11 after being mocked as high as the top six, and I’m always fond of teams that want to build from the lines out, but the Titans don’t have a place for Lewan to actually play right now. They just spent $20 million in free agency to bring in Michael Oher from the Ravens to play right tackle. Tennessee invested heavily in guards last year, signing Andy Levitre away from the Bills on a six-year, $47 million contract before adding Chance Warmack with their first-round pick. Lewan’s not a center.

The landing point for him is left tackle, but the Titans already have a pretty good left tackle in Michael Roos. Lewan profiles as his replacement, but the 31-year-old Roos still has one more year left on his deal at a relatively comfortable $6.6 million. If the Titans want to start Lewan, they’re going to have to get rid of Roos, which they would have to do with no leverage and little likelihood of getting anything of consequence in return. If tackle Mike Otto returns, Lewan spends the year on the bench or filling in as an injury replacement, which is wasting a year of value on his rookie contract and slowing his development. And, for a team that has major holes on defense (especially at cornerback), there’s a serious opportunity cost in going best player available and drafting a tackle who might actually be a little worse than the guy he’s replacing. Lewan might end up as a very good tackle, but this was very odd timing for Tennessee.

http://grantland.com/features/2014-nfl- ... -barnwell/

May 20th, 2014, 9:19 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Quote:
Are you kidding? Most draft analysts were looking at Tennessee to either go OT or DE/OLB at this pick. Their offensive tackle situation is not very promising. Roos wasn't that good last season, and exactly which Michael Oher do you expect to get? They made that pick for their future. Now Lewan can either completely supplant Michael Roos, or he understudies for a year and then takes over when they let Roos walk next year. The Lions have FAR less of a need at OT than the Titans do.

The Titans just signed Micheal Oher and already have Roos under contract while Lewan provides an upgrade tackle wasn't as pressing need for the Titans as say defense or quarterback. I'm just pointing out that Lewan WAS the best player on the board. I highly doubt the Titans would have reached for Zack Martin at #11.

Quote:
How is Beckham 'undersized'? He's a tad over six foot. That's big enough to be a starting wideout, and not necessarily just a slot receiver. It's not like he's expected to play power forward.

Check your stats I'm pretty sure Beckham measured in at 5'11 that's not very tall for somebody to play on the outside where they generally want somebody over 6 foot and 6'2 to 6'4 is ideal - 5'11 IS undersized.

Quote:
It still begs the question: what's the harm in letting the clock wind down and allowing the opportunity for someone to come along with a blockbuster offer? If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. It's FOOLISH to shut out that chance when you have absolutely nothing to lose by doing it. Houston took longer on the clock than the Lions did, and they pretty much knew who they would be taking, IF nobody offered a huge deal to them for that pick. Even when the Colts took Andrew Luck, they burned off more time than the Lions did. As a GM of a professional football team, you always keep your options open. Or, at least, that's how it should be.

I think the Lions should have done that but I'm giving you their logic in not doing that. Honestly the results would have been the same only that would have changed was your perception.

May 26th, 2014, 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5