View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 10:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 World Cup 
RIP Killer

Post World Cup
real football (actually using the foot) starts today! Now that my boys are 6 and 7 and avid soccer players (we have 6 games this weekend) I'm so excited to watch the World Cup with them.

I know many of you probably don't understand the "beautiful game" but watching the countries each with their own unique style match up against each other is fascinating.

The rest of the world will be watching!

GO USA, Go England!

June 12th, 2014, 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Post Re: World Cup
I'll be checking it out this year; figured its time for me to give us soccer a real shot. :idea:

For anyone interested, I downloaded the FIFA and Brazil 2014 apps and so far the look pretty good, obviously won't really know until the matches start.

Go Team USA!
headbang.gif

June 12th, 2014, 9:25 am
RIP Killer

BTW - I've created a bracket challenge for some folks in Texas but LBers are welcome to join:

http://games.espn.go.com/world-cup-brac ... upID=64490

Group Name: TXSoccer
Password: ntx

June 12th, 2014, 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

I'm not into the bracket challenges, but I've always been an avid fan. My mother's side of the family is from Netherlands, so I grew up on it. Of course I've been a fan of Brazil since I could understand what being a fan meant lol. I did wear my orange for the 2010 finals though.

June 12th, 2014, 2:03 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Soccer? That's that game that's like hockey, only rediculously slower right? :wink:

never could get into a game that lasts 3 hours and commonly ends in a 0-0 tie. wake me when there is a winner.

June 12th, 2014, 5:12 pm
Hall of Fame Player

regularjoe12 wrote:
Soccer? That's that game that's like hockey, only rediculously slower right? :wink:

never could get into a game that lasts 3 hours and commonly ends in a 0-0 tie. wake me when there is a winner.

I like soccer. On a foosball table. LOL

June 12th, 2014, 10:51 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:

I'm not going to try to sell you on soccer or the intricacies of the game that make the non-stop action so interesting. It is a game of constant strategy, geometric shapes, and options for those that understand it.

Plus, you probably watch baseball or golf, some the most "ridiculously" slow sports in the world. As for a 0-0 tie (and BTW there are no ties after the initial group stage of 3 games) from a baseball perspective a no-hitter (or even better a perfect game) would be seen a boring for someone who doesn't understand the game, but a real fan knows better. Then again, even a real fan can't be that impressed when that game counts for 1/162 of a season...

There is a reason soccer is the most popular sport in the world and the World Cup is the most watched sporting event worldwide. In addition, no sport in the US can match the passion the fans of soccer have. Anyone 25 and older didn't really grow up being able to watch the sport or idolize any players, I get that - but that is ancient history now.

It is finally starting to take root in the US with 24 million players (2nd most popular played sport), nearly a third of all US households have someone playing soccer. MLS already boost a better average attendance than the NHL or the NBA (both of whom are seeing declining attendance while MLS is seeing the biggest increases of any sport even surpassing the NFL's growth in both % and real numbers). And with the changing demographics, soccer is poised to become huge in our country - it already ranks as the 2nd most popular sport (behind only the might NFL) for 12-24-year-olds according to ESPN. Last year, Lionel Messi ranked in the top 10 most popular athletes in the US (BTW - I know way more under 10 year-olds with Messi or Ronaldo jerseys than anyone else).

With the video games out and all the new TV deals showing every game of the WC, all the MLS, Premier League games, Mexican League, etc. it will continue to grow. It is only a matter of time now before the US creates a real world class player, then look out...

Think about it another way. The NHL is declining. The NBA is declining. MLB has been on a long slow decent. The NFL is super popular, but safety is now a huge issue and how many parents for the first time won't let their kids play football - what long term effect will that have on the game? How many women play football? What is the fastest growing segment in the US? That would be Hispanics, guess what they watch? Know what all these trends are leading to?

Enjoy your nap Joe, too bad you are missing what the rest of the world (and even many now here in the US) are loving!

June 13th, 2014, 9:16 am
Profile WWW

Pablo wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

I'm not going to try to sell you on soccer or the intricacies of the game that make the non-stop action so interesting. It is a game of constant strategy, geometric shapes, and options for those that understand it.

Plus, you probably watch baseball or golf, some the most "ridiculously" slow sports in the world. As for a 0-0 tie (and BTW there are no ties after the initial group stage of 3 games) from a baseball perspective a no-hitter (or even better a perfect game) would be seen a boring for someone who doesn't understand the game, but a real fan knows better. Then again, even a real fan can't be that impressed when that game counts for 1/162 of a season...

There is a reason soccer is the most popular sport in the world and the World Cup is the most watched sporting event worldwide. In addition, no sport in the US can match the passion the fans of soccer have. Anyone 25 and older didn't really grow up being able to watch the sport or idolize any players, I get that - but that is ancient history now.

It is finally starting to take root in the US with 24 million players (2nd most popular played sport), nearly a third of all US households have someone playing soccer. MLS already boost a better average attendance than the NHL or the NBA (both of whom are seeing declining attendance while MLS is seeing the biggest increases of any sport even surpassing the NFL's growth in both % and real numbers). And with the changing demographics, soccer is poised to become huge in our country - it already ranks as the 2nd most popular sport (behind only the might NFL) for 12-24-year-olds according to ESPN. Last year, Lionel Messi ranked in the top 10 most popular athletes in the US (BTW - I know way more under 10 year-olds with Messi or Ronaldo jerseys than anyone else).

With the video games out and all the new TV deals showing every game of the WC, all the MLS, Premier League games, Mexican League, etc. it will continue to grow. It is only a matter of time now before the US creates a real world class player, then look out...

Think about it another way. The NHL is declining. The NBA is declining. MLB has been on a long slow decent. The NFL is super popular, but safety is now a huge issue and how many parents for the first time won't let their kids play football - what long term effect will that have on the game? How many women play football? What is the fastest growing segment in the US? That would be Hispanics, guess what they watch? Know what all these trends are leading to?

Enjoy your nap Joe, too bad you are missing what the rest of the world (and even many now here in the US) are loving!

I get what you are saying, and apreciate the reach out, but I have tried and just cant get into soccer. mens exspecially. I will admit, I have gotten caught getting into a womens soccer game or two (it seems to me they play much more visciously than the men). But in the vast majority of cases I just get bored too quickly. I really dont watch golf or baseball either. like you pointed out, they too are much too slow. I keep up by watching the highlights on sports center, but thats about as far as I go with those.

The other sports you mentioned being on the decline might be true, but I'd like to point out WHY Hockey keeps getting a decline. Every time Hockey gets back into the national (international? Hey..Canada counts! lol) limelight, the stupid idiots have a strike or lockout! We've seen 2-3 in the last decade alone, and each time, right before the lockout/strike, the ratings are at all time highs. they end up not playing for a year and have to start all over. everything soccer has to offer, hocker can give you...PLUS it's significantly faster, the scores are much higher AND occasionally you get a nice fight to watch!

and lastly...IMO just because soccer is played by more people accross the globe does not mean its the best sport to play/watch. Lets be honest here, soccer is also the CHEAPEST sport to play. All you need is one ball, simple sticks or disposable cups can make goal markers and you are in buisness! Basketball needs hoops and backboards, baseball adds a bat and glove, football and hockey are both very expensive to get started in. When almost 1/2 the world is still in a 3rd world state, of course soccer will be the highest played sport on the globe.

now before I say too much and act like I am hating on soccer, let me recognize the incredible shape their athletes have to be in, and the huge ammounts of endurance needed, as well and the complex stategy involved. But even with all that its just too slow for my taste, and I'll pick hockey over soccer any day of the week.

but for the rest of the world, enjoy the world cup! just make sure to wake me before the REAL FOOTBALL season starts please! ;) :cheers:

June 13th, 2014, 12:28 pm
RIP Killer

Joe - thanks for the response. BTW - I've never said soccer is the "best" sport, that is purely subjective. I've just pointed out the popularity and how it is now growing in the US along with the future prospects here. Personally, football has always been the "best" sport to watch but soccer was the "best" sport to play. Then again, I like constant action so sports like baseball and hockey always appealed to me in terms of playing.

I personally don't like baseball, but I do enjoy teaching it to my boys and watching them play. Plus my oldest is a lefty and I figure I could retire if he has any sort of a decent arm! :D

As for hockey, it is a great sport. My boys have played that as well. Problem is that while hockey is awesome in person (one of my favorites), it just doesn't translate well to TV. I think that will be the biggest issue going forward but I love the speed of the game and actually many of the same basic concepts are the same in hockey and soccer.

As for it being slow, and I hear that a lot here in the states, that comes from a lack of understanding. Imagine someone watching football from another country - all they see is some giant guys, a handoff, a 2-yard run, stoppage of play, huddle, start it all over again then a punt followed by many timeouts and replays. When you don't understand, you simply follow the ball. As you know more about football you see what the defense is doing, the coverage they are calling, the 1v1 matchups along the line, the stunts/blitzes, line audible/adjustments, WR patterns, etc.

A lack of understanding makes football a slow boring sport, when you are watching everything going on it is anything but. In fact, they would think you were crazy to watch a game 2 or 3 times, but honestly I do this quite often to focus on different aspects of the game. I'll typically primarily follow the football the first time through, quite often I'll just watch the LOS the next time, and watch for various other things a 3rd time through (focusing on a couple of players for example).

When you are watching the many styles of soccer and how they match up, ball movement, the runs off the ball, managerial tactics and formations, defensive alignments, 1v1, individual skills/moves, etc - the game is no longer slow but very fast. Like football, it is often too hard for the human mind to catch all the nuances occurring simultaneously (our predator evolution has given us a fairly limited line of sight and focus). In-other-words, it is actually your own mind and lack of looking for more than following the ball that makes it seem slow...

The more you comprehend what is really occurring on the pitch, the more beautiful soccer becomes, hence the "beautiful" game moniker. Throw in the passion of the fans and a world cup that comes around every 4 years and you have something very special.

We think of the Super Bowl winners as World Champions, but in reality they are only the US champions because virtually no one else plays it. The World Cup winner is truly a world champion (you actually have to play through other regional tournaments to qualify)... It is a global scale event that the NFL, MLB, NHL, NCAA, etc can't come close to matching. Only the Olympics comes close, and while you root for the US really how many of us care about <insert Olympic sport here> the other four years. Soccer takes that, due to the passion, to an unprecedented scale.

June 13th, 2014, 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Spain is getting their arses kicked by the Dutch, currently 5-1
Revenge is sweet I guess :twisted:

June 13th, 2014, 4:42 pm

Yes it is. Biggest defeat by a defending world cup champion ever. In 2010, they gave up 2 goals in 7 games. The squad has had question marks with their age for a bit and it showed. The Dutch put in a new system specifically for the tournament and no one knew if it would work now or in future years. Guess it's working now :)

June 14th, 2014, 1:16 am
RIP Killer

The games have been very exciting and largely entertaining. Outside of Mexico's 1-0 win over Cameroon, every other game has had at least 3 goals.

As for today - USA, USA, USA. A must win!!!

June 16th, 2014, 9:22 am
Profile WWW

Germany is embarrassing Portugal. Without a healthy Cristiano Ronaldo, I don't see how this team beats the US. And now Pepe is out for the US match because of a red card. I know people constantly want to say it's a good team without CR, but they really aren't.

June 16th, 2014, 12:59 pm
RIP Killer

If any team is a "one-man" team in the WC it is Portugal. I agree the US can beat them, done it before.

When Germany beats Ghana in their next game they will already have 6 points and a big goal advantage, that could play into the US hands in their final group stage game.

But first things first...

June 16th, 2014, 2:05 pm
Profile WWW

So, I thought this was funny....untill I looked more into it. Now im kinda horrified. FIFA is a downright AWFUL "company".

www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/09/john- ... 73346.html

(Im not as tech savy as some of you...maybe Wags can help me a bit and directly post the video for easier viewing)

I know this is a comedy skit...but most of what I looked up is true. The corruption...by just about EVERYONE at the top...just disturbing stuff.

June 17th, 2014, 12:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next