View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 9:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Planet X: discussion 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Planet X: discussion
I don't usually post in these discussion because they usually turn into nasty religion based arguments that I'd rather avoid.

But here's a couple interesting questions for all of you, related to Fermi's Paradox.

1. What is to say that we haven't run into alien life on this planet? Is it possible that in the early stages of Earth's formation, previous to human inhabitance, that some species not native to this planet arrived via a number of different ways? And that over the years since then has simply adapted to this planet?

2. What would the human race do if we found out, without any doubt, that intelligent life did exist on other planets and they were capable of reaching this planet? What if we found out that they were FAR more advanced than us?

I recall a line from the movie "Men in Black" where Tommy Lee Jones tells Will Smith, "A person is smart, but people are stupid". A very, very true statement. And individual is far more likely to be able to process and handle that situation rationally. Tell it to a large group, and if just one person overreacts, the rest seem to follow suit. Mob mentality at its finest.

What would the results be? Would humans bond together to act like a 'global community'? Or would mankind lose their collective minds and start raping and pillaging each other in a vain attempt to somehow gain the upper hand?

Sorry, that was more than a couple questions.....

June 13th, 2014, 3:30 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Planet X: discussion
rao wrote:
A case could easily be made that civilizations that advanced wouldn't be aggressive in any way. We really would offer nothing more than raw resources in comparison of tech and like Blueskies said it would probably just make more sense for them to mine an empty planet. That even ignores the fact our world could just be totally toxic to this other species and something like Mars could be what they are actually looking for instead.

I always laugh when I see the 'advanced civilizations wouldn't be that violent' remark.

If you look at Earth's history, the most violent cultures have often been the most advanced, and typically the ones who have brought with them the greatest advances in technology. Let's face facts, war has created more technological advancements than most anything else in human history. Not saying it would be like that for civilizations that may exist on other planets. But from our limited perspective, it is the most logical view point.

I also look at it this way, if an advanced group of beings who weren't violent were travelling throughout the universe, with that level of technology they could observe our planet and come to know how violent humans truly are. They would be more inclined to leave than to try and land here.

June 13th, 2014, 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10