View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 5th, 2016, 6:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Planet X: discussion 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Planet X: discussion
I don't usually post in these discussion because they usually turn into nasty religion based arguments that I'd rather avoid.

But here's a couple interesting questions for all of you, related to Fermi's Paradox.

1. What is to say that we haven't run into alien life on this planet? Is it possible that in the early stages of Earth's formation, previous to human inhabitance, that some species not native to this planet arrived via a number of different ways? And that over the years since then has simply adapted to this planet?

2. What would the human race do if we found out, without any doubt, that intelligent life did exist on other planets and they were capable of reaching this planet? What if we found out that they were FAR more advanced than us?

I recall a line from the movie "Men in Black" where Tommy Lee Jones tells Will Smith, "A person is smart, but people are stupid". A very, very true statement. And individual is far more likely to be able to process and handle that situation rationally. Tell it to a large group, and if just one person overreacts, the rest seem to follow suit. Mob mentality at its finest.

What would the results be? Would humans bond together to act like a 'global community'? Or would mankind lose their collective minds and start raping and pillaging each other in a vain attempt to somehow gain the upper hand?

Sorry, that was more than a couple questions.....

June 13th, 2014, 3:30 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
A case could easily be made that civilizations that advanced wouldn't be aggressive in any way. We really would offer nothing more than raw resources in comparison of tech and like Blueskies said it would probably just make more sense for them to mine an empty planet. That even ignores the fact our world could just be totally toxic to this other species and something like Mars could be what they are actually looking for instead.

I always laugh when I see the 'advanced civilizations wouldn't be that violent' remark.

If you look at Earth's history, the most violent cultures have often been the most advanced, and typically the ones who have brought with them the greatest advances in technology. Let's face facts, war has created more technological advancements than most anything else in human history. Not saying it would be like that for civilizations that may exist on other planets. But from our limited perspective, it is the most logical view point.

I also look at it this way, if an advanced group of beings who weren't violent were travelling throughout the universe, with that level of technology they could observe our planet and come to know how violent humans truly are. They would be more inclined to leave than to try and land here.

June 13th, 2014, 3:40 pm
QB Coach

In light of this information posted 6 hours ago by CALTECH, and ABC News, I'm going to post a link and encourage everyone to revisit the previous pages to see what their opinions might be now.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/ ... lar-system

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/01/ ... ar-system/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... Pluto.html

Acts 4:13, 1 Cor. 2:1-5, Rom. 12:1-2

January 20th, 2016, 4:52 pm
QB Coach

Huh, it's been silent in here, I'd of thought you science guys would be tearing this up...

January 21st, 2016, 2:06 pm
Hall of Fame General Manager

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Huh, it's been silent in here, I'd of thought you science guys would be tearing this up...

I read the first article. Interesting stuff. I would suggest that it is not an object from our Solar System though. Our Solar System resides in a neighborhood where the Milky Way is eating another galaxy. As matter of fact, there is a group of scientists that believe our solar system came from this other Gallaxy. (Sagittarius Dwarf). They say that is why our solar system is positioned such that we can see the disc of the Milky Way. Think of this: if you lived in a house with no windows, and you never ventured outside. How would you know what your house looked like? But, yet, we know what the Milky Way looks like. Anyway, this Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy does 1 complete rotation roughly, every 16,000 years.

January 21st, 2016, 2:49 pm
QB Coach

Thanks Billy,

I was going through some of the original posts from my friend Steve, whom I brought in to this discussion, and from others. It was amazing to go back and read the records of those who thought and stated that he was full of crap, and then CalTech actually refuted NASA's statement that Planet X is just a "conspiracy theory."
It's a small vindication, but it's also good reading too.

January 21st, 2016, 5:58 pm
QB Coach

Dude, what are you even talking about?

There might be a ninth planet. But everything else in this topic is still nonsense. It's not coming to end the world. It doesn't orbit every 300 years. It's not bigger than Jupiter -- considerably smaller, actually. NASA wasn't lying about it, and there isn't some massive government conspiracy to put us all in internment camps.

January 22nd, 2016, 1:13 pm
QB Coach

Actually, NASA did say that it was a huge "Conspiracy Theory" and that there was "No such thing as Planet X." Then in the very BRIEF review that I did of the initial pages, there was much the same attitude from those on this board, and then a couple of days happened and CalTech said, "um, excuse me there is...."

January 22nd, 2016, 5:03 pm
QB Coach

No one said that another planet absolutely could not exist.

They said that the planet that fits the criteria described by the conspiracy theorists could not exist.

And indeed, this new planet does not fit that criteria. Not at all. If you follow the links you posted, you'll see that the proposed orbit for this planet does not come anywhere near earth. At its closest point, it orbits outside the Kuiper belt, which is like the distant solar system ice asteroid belt near Pluto.

More generally, I find it simply infuriating that you'll use scientific reasoning and discoveries when it fits your inane ideas, but reject outright for no particular reason any that do not.

January 22nd, 2016, 5:18 pm
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:

Because based on the descriptions of this planet it isn't close to the one you proposed. Not much to discuss here. Still searching for your planet I guess, honestly, sounds much more like a comet than a planet considering the description and orbit it must be on.

January 22nd, 2016, 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

That's an interesting perspective of Pablo, but for the record in not continuing to look for a mystery planet. Since I've come back on, I revisited this thread page, and in light of new info, I revisited old threads. You perspective or idea about a comet is an interesting one because the Bible says that there is a comet inbound called Wormwood. I must admit, I'm not familiar with that prophecy, I've just heard of it before. I'll see if I can find some stuff and link it here.

January 22nd, 2016, 9:34 pm
QB Coach

WarEr4Christ wrote:
That's an interesting perspective of Pablo, but for the record in not continuing to look for a mystery planet. Since I've come back on, I revisited this thread page, and in light of new info, I revisited old threads. You perspective or idea about a comet is an interesting one because the Bible says that there is a comet inbound called Wormwood. I must admit, I'm not familiar with that prophecy, I've just heard of it before. I'll see if I can find some stuff and link it here.

WarEr, the new links are interesting, but didn't prove anything that Steve lectured about. I can't say discussed, because he said his way was fact, and any objections to it were foolish and wrong. And nothing he posted was fact, but speculation or theories (not scientific theory) by trying to fit what little fact there is to fit his idea and belief. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not science and not provable by science if you take that path. That's why no scientist would try to prove that theory, because it's not based around a testable hypothesis.

All those links would do, would be to create a new way to shape the argument and use real science to try to paint the picture. Saying this and this show that, so the next step would be X.. is how science would operate. Steve tended to say this and this show that, so it's reasonable to believe that Y is fact which means X is true. And that is pseudoscience and is why people will consider it something to gloss over and toss it in with conspiracy theories.

90% of our oceans are unexplored, so put the mysteries of the universe into that perspective and you'll see that unknowns allow for a lot of leading toward possibilities that you just can't make the leap to yet. Using the name PlanetX for their discoveries doesn't automatically make Steve's interpretations of his PlanetX viable. Just like the Nittany Lions having a good season doesn't mean the Detroit Lions would have a good season also.

There is no speculation in scientific outcomes. Only in the search for something to test. The testing and proving are science. Speculation is in the research realm. And all the previous 'research" in this thread isn't a testable or provable step, so it's not science.

Hope that clears up why most haven't seen a need to delve back into it.

January 23rd, 2016, 12:39 am
QB Coach

pardon me i was looking for the like button. It does clear it up. Steve went to high school with my younger brother and claims to have some autistic tendencies. I can't say that I know him personally, and he does have some quirks. Having said that, I've found him to be passionate and thorough in researching topics, and thought it would be interesting to bring his views over here. So many of you are science minded that I thought there'd be some good banter back and forth. But obviously, he took his ball and went home.

Concerning Wormwood:

Rev. 8:10-11
10 The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— 11 the name of the star is Wormwood.[a] A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

Concerning Planet X (returning to Steve Ciccolanti and Discovery Ministries)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4w7U0KoMk

(I've watched this video and admit that much of what he says is pretty extreme, but the only thing that I can say to this is that time will prove it out. Whether Steve C. is correct, or Christianity is correct, time will have to prove it out. I only hope and pray that these conversations and discussions that we've had will jog in your memory at the appointed time, and you'll be moved to accept Jesus' offer of eternal life and relationship.)

Here's another from a Christian source:
http://www.cogwriter.com/news/prophecy/ ... -prophecy/

I'm trying to find some references OUTSIDE of Christianity via google.
best i could find via google, not definitive sorry. I welcome others input...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormwood_(Bible)

I don't wish to obtain the name of "doomsday prophet" so I'm going to bow out of this conversation. I'm not thorough enough in Science to stand against discussion and I don't want to insult you, or your intelligence by trying to banter outside my capabilities. But like Billy said, and I said above, I hope you consider these conversations should time prove these things true. In parting, I'd like to show you how simple it is to accept Jesus into your life. Thanks for the discussion folks...

Jesus, I'm a sinner and can't save myself. I need you, and offer my life to you. Please save me and my family, I'm sorry for not believing in you, and for all of my sins. I call out to you Jesus, save me! In Jesus name, amen

January 23rd, 2016, 9:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10