View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 10:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Chris Houston Released 
Heisman Winner

Post Chris Houston Released
I just read that Houston has been released, Ebron's signing might have been made possible by this move. I guess his injury is more serious than I thought.

In other news, Brandon Flowers has also been released by the Chiefs.

Here's the link: http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/TWENTYMAN-Lions-terminate-Chris-Houstons-contract/18d84575-2e04-488f-b6ce-3d61296d1cc4

June 13th, 2014, 3:22 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Chris Houston Released
Not completely surprised by this move. It would be nice if the Lions could bring either Houston back at a cheaper price (if his toe is improving and he can play) or bring in Flowers at the right price.

June 13th, 2014, 3:43 pm
Heisman Winner

It would be wise to get the Suh deal done ASAP and use the free cap to get Flowers. I don't know how much cap space has been freed by Houston's release and how much of it Ebron just took up.

All I know is, Flowers won't last too long in the market, and he won't come cheap.

June 13th, 2014, 3:52 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Don't know if Flowers would be an upgrade or another Mathis-type that is a veteran presence, but if he's starting, something has gone seriously wrong.

June 13th, 2014, 4:00 pm
Heisman Winner

JL wrote:
Don't know if Flowers would be an upgrade or another Mathis-type that is a veteran presence, but if he's starting, something has gone seriously wrong.

He made the pro-bowl just last year. And he's just 28, a far cry from Mathis' 34.

June 13th, 2014, 4:13 pm
Div 1 - Starter

DayDreamer wrote:
JL wrote:

He made the pro-bowl just last year. And he's just 28, a far cry from Mathis' 34.

Okay, "he made the Pro Bowl last year" really carries no significance any more. After you subtract the rosters of the teams going to the Super Bowl, and players that beg out for injuries real or imagined, a "Pro Bowler" could be the way down the list. So, I'm not impressed he made the Pro Bowl.

Yeah he's 28, which is good. He also just got cut by the Chiefs.

Quote from ESPN.com: "Flowers had been a solid player for the Chiefs until 2013, when he had perhaps his worst season despite making the Pro Bowl. New general manager John Dorsey favors bigger cornerbacks and the 5-foot-9 Flowers struggled in the Chiefs' new defensive system, which often called for Flowers to cover bigger and more physical receivers."

Like I said, would Flowers be an upgrade? I have to wonder.

June 13th, 2014, 4:22 pm
Heisman Winner

JL wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
JL wrote:

Okay, "he made the Pro Bowl last year" really carries no significance any more. After you subtract the rosters of the teams going to the Super Bowl, and players that beg out for injuries real or imagined, a "Pro Bowler" could be the way down the list. So, I'm not impressed he made the Pro Bowl.

Yeah he's 28, which is good. He also just got cut by the Chiefs.

Quote from ESPN.com: "Flowers had been a solid player for the Chiefs until 2013, when he had perhaps his worst season despite making the Pro Bowl. New general manager John Dorsey favors bigger cornerbacks and the 5-foot-9 Flowers struggled in the Chiefs' new defensive system, which often called for Flowers to cover bigger and more physical receivers."

Like I said, would Flowers be an upgrade? I have to wonder.

We're talking about the Lions' secondary here, Stevie Wonder would be an upgrade. Seriously though, Slay is still unproven; Mathis might be just one injury away from retirement; Vaughn is a journeyman/career backup; Bentley and Lawson are both nickelbacks at best; which leaves us with Green and Greenwood, none of whom are starters. Flowers should be considered an upgrade over all of them, unless Slay lives up to his potential.

June 13th, 2014, 4:32 pm
Team MVP

Yeah dont the Lions prefer bigger corners?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 13th, 2014, 4:33 pm
Div 1 - Starter

DayDreamer wrote:
We're talking about the Lions' secondary here, Stevie Wonder would be an upgrade. Seriously though, Slay is still unproven; Mathis might be just one injury away from retirement; Vaughn is a journeyman/career backup; Bentley and Lawson are both nickelbacks at best; which leaves us with Green and Greenwood, none of whom are starters. Flowers should be considered an upgrade over all of them, unless Slay lives up to his potential.

The big takeaway here is that without some cap-gamesmanship from the Lions, it's all speculation regardless. Unless Flowers takes one of those 1-year "I'll show you" contracts.

June 13th, 2014, 4:34 pm
Div 1 - Starter

kdsberman wrote:
Yeah dont the Lions prefer bigger corners?

Also from ESPN.com: "The Chiefs shifted him to nickel back last season in obvious passing situations."

So... there's that. He wouldn't match up well with NFC North receivers.

June 13th, 2014, 4:36 pm
Heisman Winner

JL wrote:

The big takeaway here is that without some cap-gamesmanship from the Lions, it's all speculation regardless. Unless Flowers takes one of those 1-year "I'll show you" contracts.

I don't think he'll go for that. As I said in my previous post, Suh's renewal better happen fast.

June 13th, 2014, 4:38 pm
Div 1 - Starter

DayDreamer wrote:
JL wrote:
I don't think he'll go for that. As I said in my previous post, Suh's renewal better happen fast.

I think we need to steel ourselves to the possibility that Suh is on a one-and-done deal. He got Sexton for an agent, and if Suh REALLY wanted to be a Lion, that deal would be long done.

June 13th, 2014, 5:05 pm
Div 1 - Starter

For what it's worth, ESPN's KC Chiefs beat reporter is saying Flowers was cut as a cap move. The writer considers Flowers to have been the best DB on the Chiefs' roster.

Read all about it here.

Biggest point is: "The Chiefs released him anyway, saving $7.5 million this year against the salary cap and another $7.5 against their cap next year. They will need that cap room if they sign quarterback Alex Smith and linebacker Justin Houston to contract extensions. "

June 13th, 2014, 5:34 pm
QB Coach

Houston's release will actually cost us money against the cap. Something close to $1M more. Next year a release would have saved us a few mil. I think we're actually currently over the cap.

My bad. Post June 1 cut, spread the hit over 2 years so we saved enough to sign EE.

Second edit: Splitting it 2 years we only take this year's signing bonus hit of $1.3 this year (original cap hit was $4.8 - $3.5 salary and $1.3 bonus) and the remaining bonus of $3.9 next year. So we saved $3.5 and used $2.2 of that to sign Ebron.

Last edited by inheritedlionsfan on June 13th, 2014, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 13th, 2014, 6:04 pm
QB Coach

JL wrote:
I think we need to steel ourselves to the possibility that Suh is on a one-and-done deal. He got Sexton for an agent, and if Suh REALLY wanted to be a Lion, that deal would be long done.

I hope you said the same thing about Stafford, because when he redid his deal it didn't get done til July. Just sayin.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

June 13th, 2014, 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next