View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 8:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 2014 Tigers 
RIP Killer

Post Re: 2014 Tigers
Bad move by DD

December 12th, 2013, 10:59 pm
Heisman Winner

Huge upside though, I don't love the signing but you know how DD loves those power arms. Tommy Johns surgery does not end a pitchers career but it does usually take two years to fully recover. Small amount of money for a potential huge upside in my opinion. I think the Tigers have one more move to make in the pen but wouldn't be surprised if they were unable to find the player to fit the hole.

So far you have...
Al Al
Coke
Krol
Rondon
Joba
Nathan

Am I missing someone, feels like I might be.

It's not world beating but I'd say it's better than last year, especially going into the season.

Defense is up, Starting rotation is down, Offense is down but now has speed (small ball here we come, zzzzzzzzzzz), Pen is up.

I think what was lost in the Fister trade was that Krol is a very capable left handed relief pitcher who should fill Smyly's role from last year. It was a tough trade to swallow but I think it didn't hurt the team as much as the fans are leading on to. Fister won 14 games last year with a 4.1 WAR, doesn't add up to me. Meanwhile Porcello won 13 games with a 2.4 WAR, I think the WAR stat is just hogwash. To me I think Smyly should have similiar numbers to Porcello last year so in my mind we lost 1 to 2 wins by making the move pitching wise.

December 13th, 2013, 12:48 pm
RIP Killer

Fister was wildly inconsistent and when his curve was off, so was he as a whole. If his swing back fastball wasn't getting called for strikes, he was walking a lot of batters and giving up lots of runs. He played great d, was great in the clubhouse, and had awesome movement on his pitches, however, his velocity was very low and DD loves power arms

December 13th, 2013, 9:14 pm
League MVP

aManNamedSuh wrote:
Huge upside though, I don't love the signing but you know how DD loves those power arms. Tommy Johns surgery does not end a pitchers career but it does usually take two years to fully recover. Small amount of money for a potential huge upside in my opinion. I think the Tigers have one more move to make in the pen but wouldn't be surprised if they were unable to find the player to fit the hole.

So far you have...
Al Al
Coke
Krol
Rondon
Joba
Nathan

Am I missing someone, feels like I might be.

It's not world beating but I'd say it's better than last year, especially going into the season.

Defense is up, Starting rotation is down, Offense is down but now has speed (small ball here we come, zzzzzzzzzzz), Pen is up.

I think what was lost in the Fister trade was that Krol is a very capable left handed relief pitcher who should fill Smyly's role from last year. It was a tough trade to swallow but I think it didn't hurt the team as much as the fans are leading on to. Fister won 14 games last year with a 4.1 WAR, doesn't add up to me. Meanwhile Porcello won 13 games with a 2.4 WAR, I think the WAR stat is just hogwash. To me I think Smyly should have similiar numbers to Porcello last year so in my mind we lost 1 to 2 wins by making the move pitching wise.

Joba is already more than 2 years past his Tommy John surgery. Isnt he the idiot that had a terrible trampoline injury? Guy kinda sounds like a less talented version of Zumaya and really hasnt been any good since 2008. I dont see the big upside - even if he improves upon his 1.74 WHIP from last season and has a good year he hits the free agent market gets paid big and is gone from the Tigers. Its not like locking in a youngster in a trade and having him under team control for 4-5 seasons.

Krol wasnt good last season especially down the stretch so I dont see how he is just a shoo in replacement for Smyly. The more realistic hope is Phil Coke comes back around to form. Krol probably needs more time in the minors. Also, Robbie Ray doesnt seem to be the premium prospect DD claims but rather another guy who could spot start at the back end of a rotation and probably will need to be shifted to bullpen duty. The only way the trade works out for the Tigers if Lombardozzi can turn into the 2nd coming of Placido Polanco which is probably his maximum upside.

December 13th, 2013, 10:49 pm
Heisman Winner

The Legend wrote:
Joba is already more than 2 years past his Tommy John surgery. Isnt he the idiot that had a terrible trampoline injury? Guy kinda sounds like a less talented version of Zumaya and really hasnt been any good since 2008. I dont see the big upside - even if he improves upon his 1.74 WHIP from last season and has a good year he hits the free agent market gets paid big and is gone from the Tigers. Its not like locking in a youngster in a trade and having him under team control for 4-5 seasons.

Krol wasnt good last season especially down the stretch so I dont see how he is just a shoo in replacement for Smyly. The more realistic hope is Phil Coke comes back around to form. Krol probably needs more time in the minors. Also, Robbie Ray doesnt seem to be the premium prospect DD claims but rather another guy who could spot start at the back end of a rotation and probably will need to be shifted to bullpen duty. The only way the trade works out for the Tigers if Lombardozzi can turn into the 2nd coming of Placido Polanco which is probably his maximum upside.

He is the guy with the trampoline injury, but I'm not going to fault him for playing with his kids. He had his TJ surgery in 2010 so last year was the magic 2 year mark, but with the injuries it was hard to see any improvements with velocity. I'm not saying it was a great trade or good value, I'm just saying it wasn't as bad as everyone wants to make it out to be. He's a 4th starter and a 3rd starter on a bad team he not an ace. Let's see how it pans out.

December 14th, 2013, 10:50 am
Hall of Fame Player

Only 20 days until pitchers and catchers report to Lakeland.

January 19th, 2014, 1:18 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I am eagerly awaiting the start of this season far more than I did last season. Last year I knew that it would be another year of watching the Tigers fail to score unless they were able to get a HR. Over the last 2 years, the Tigers high powered offense was shut out more than any other team in a 2 year period in the history of baseball.

This year, we have enough team speed to scratch out some runs via small ball. Being shut out will be a very rare occasion this year. And we still have a bunch of HR. Thump.

I am not against the HR as long as you aren't just swinging for the fences every at bat. There is a saying in football for RB's. " Think 2 and get 20." Well, think singles, doubles, and triples, and get a homer.

This team, this year. WS Champs!!!!

This very well could be a banner year for Detroit.
New Tigers Manager. ---- WS Championship
New Lions HC ------ Super Bowl Championship?

January 20th, 2014, 11:43 am
Heisman Winner

Joba signing is panning out quite well so far.

July 24th, 2014, 8:34 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I agree. I was not liking the signing especially after his first appearance this season. But, since then, he has been very solid.

That said, What the heck does Phil "Every inherited base runner WILL SCORE" Coke have to do to get dumped by the Tigers?

I miss Brandon Inge. LOL. Hey, he is a far better hitter than Avilla. Avilla has 96 strike outs already this season. Good thing for him " DADDY" works in the front office so the Tigers will never cut or trade him as long as that is the case.

And, I think giving up Nate Thompson was too steep a price for Joakim Soria. Thomas was one of our top Starting Pitchers for the near future that I think we will regret trading for a RP much like Tiger Fans lamented the Smoltz trade.

But, with all that said. DD has this tendency to make trades that I hate right away and they seem to work out to the Tigers favor.

July 26th, 2014, 9:28 am
League MVP

aManNamedSuh wrote:
Joba signing is panning out quite well so far.

big time

August 1st, 2014, 2:29 am
Hall of Fame Player

I can't believe no one posted this yet. But, the Tigers acquired SP David Price in a 3 team deal that sent Austin Jackson to Seattle and Drew Smiley and a minor league SS to Tampa Bay. I can't remember the minor league Ss's name. But, he was our 3rd best minor league prospect.

With the trade of Jackson, and the inevitable likeliness that Scherzer will leave as a FA after this season, all we will have left to show for the Curtis Granderson trade is Phil Choke.

August 1st, 2014, 10:13 am
League MVP

BillySims wrote:
I can't believe no one posted this yet. But, the Tigers acquired SP David Price in a 3 team deal that sent Austin Jackson to Seattle and Drew Smiley and a minor league SS to Tampa Bay. I can't remember the minor league Ss's name. But, he was our 3rd best minor league prospect.

With the trade of Jackson, and the inevitable likeliness that Scherzer will leave as a FA after this season, all we will have left to show for the Curtis Granderson trade is Phil Choke.

lol, is that the conclusion you drew when the tigers landed price? that all we got for edwin jackson and granderson is coke? u r one funny dude

August 1st, 2014, 3:58 pm
Team MVP

I think its a great move. I have my doubts Scherzer was going to re-sign and Jackson, though I like him, isnt THAT great. If it wasnt for his nice last month he'd be batting what .250? Id rather have a solid pitcher like Price.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 1st, 2014, 5:07 pm
League MVP

short term its a great trade for the tigers. they didnt give up a lot to land one of the top Lefty starters in baseball. it also covers them for next season in the event scherzer leaves. long term it raises questions as to how high they are willing to go with payroll. we already knew they d be willing to pay big for another pitcher but now they also gave up a guy who projects as a decent and cheap starter in smyly. tampa will need to hit it big with adames for this trade to ever look even. seems to be a good trade for seattle also, as they gave up a player that they had already given up on and got a quality major league center fielder on a hot streak.

however, DD seems to have lost track of the fact that his bullpen additions have been pretty bad. joba has proven to me a lowrisk signing thats worked out. nathan has been a big bust and soria at minimum is having a tough time adjusting though i think he ll be just fine and probably be closing for us into the future. i feel like there will still be a waiver trade or two on the way. probably for another reliever or two and maybe a defensive outfielder unless they are comfortable with ezequiel carrera

August 1st, 2014, 5:52 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:

lol, is that the conclusion you drew when the tigers landed price? that all we got for edwin jackson and granderson is coke? u r one funny dude

I realize that Austin Jackson effectively became David Price with this trade. We got Austin in the Granderson trade. I didn't mention Edwin Jackson because he was just a throw in. And the only player we will have left from that trade will be Coke if Scherzer leaves as a FA. Seriously, what part of that don't you understand?

August 1st, 2014, 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next