View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 12:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Suh's contract status 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Suh's contract status
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Lions will tag Suh if they can't get a deal worked out with him after the season. I believe the front office has already said as much. I'll see if I can find the article saying that.
I think it will depend on what the salary cap is for next season.

July 29th, 2014, 9:17 am
RIP Killer

A franchise tag for a DT was under $10M this past season. That is a big cut in pay giving the Lions some serious leverage.

July 29th, 2014, 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
A franchise tag for a DT was under $10M this past season. That is a big cut in pay giving the Lions some serious leverage.
Per the new CBA, franchise tag requires payment/salary of over 100% of previous year's salary, which puts Suh's tag around ~$25MM next year.

EDIT: Here you go:
Quote:
f the Lions and Suh can’t agree to an extension at the end of the season and the team elects to use the franchise tag, his franchise tender would be $26.7 million in 2015, according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen

http://fansided.com/2014/07/28/ndamukon ... chise-tag/
He's not worth it IMO

July 29th, 2014, 10:18 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Suh is gone after this season. He clearly doesn't want to be here.

July 29th, 2014, 11:30 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Per the new CBA, franchise tag requires payment/salary of over 100% of previous year's salary, which puts Suh's tag around ~$25MM next year.

EDIT: Here you go:
Quote:
f the Lions and Suh can’t agree to an extension at the end of the season and the team elects to use the franchise tag, his franchise tender would be $26.7 million in 2015, according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen

http://fansided.com/2014/07/28/ndamukon ... chise-tag/
He's not worth it IMO

forgot about that change... thanks Wags.

July 29th, 2014, 11:38 am
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

Mayhew has been so outspoken about not wanting to trade Suh it seems the Franchise tag is probably a real good possibility for next year. Also the fact that Suh will still count 9M against the cap if he walks may make the franchise tag price a little less intolerable.

July 29th, 2014, 8:49 pm
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
I love how every time a situation like this comes up, SOMEONE comes on saying "I" was the one who said we should do this.... We have too many GMs on this board.

Is there anyone on this board that can't verify that other than wjb, I have been on the leading edge of the trade Suh before we get nothing for him band wagon?

July 29th, 2014, 10:29 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Lions will tag Suh if they can't get a deal worked out with him after the season. I believe the front office has already said as much. I'll see if I can find the article saying that.

$26Million dollars says we will not be tagging Suh.

July 29th, 2014, 10:32 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:

No it is not. Because of Suh's paycheck this year, to tag him next year will cost $26 Million against the cap. Franchise Tag is the average of the top 5 salaries at the position averaged over the last 5 seasons. OR 110% of the players previous cap charge. Whichever is greater .

We will not be tagging Suh.

July 29th, 2014, 10:37 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I guess I should have finished reading the thread before replying as I was reading. I ended up not exactly breaking any news to you all. LOL

July 29th, 2014, 10:40 pm

I would say the odds of Suh being a Lion in 2015 is approximately 10%.

It will be a big blow to lose him. Despite his tendency to get suspended, he's an amazing player. No addition by subtraction here.

Still, the Lions should be able to sign a couple of starters with the money he frees up.

July 30th, 2014, 8:34 am
QB Coach

I think a tag and trade could be possible if he really doesn't want to be here. As much trouble as he gets in it'll suck to see him playing for someone else. After I've had time to think about it, maybe he just wants to see what the new staff does and how they bring the team together before committing long term.

July 30th, 2014, 8:48 am

Anyone know more about how tag&trade works? It doesn't seem to happen very often. Not sure how it works in relation to the cap.

July 30th, 2014, 9:35 am
Heisman Winner

My guess is, it would be cheaper if they let Suh test free agency and then try to match whatever offer he gets. It is a gamble, but it's better than a 26 mill cap hit. I don't think we'll get anything more than a 2nd rounder if he's tagged and traded.

Look at Ngata's contract http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Haloti%20Ngata&Position=34DE&Team=Ravens

He's the highest paid D-lineman in the league, and his even contract seems more tolerable than Suh's tag. If I didn't know any better, I'd think Suh wants to get tagged for a year, make his money and then go long term, he seems the type to take such a risk.

July 30th, 2014, 12:09 pm
NFL Veteran

If it's true Suh wants to be paid equal to or more than the highest paid defensive players then the Lions are doing everything right. There is absolutely no way a team is trading anything more than what the Lions will get in a comp pick along with paying him $16M/yr and if they had traded him this off-season they would have ate too much dead cap space to find a replacement.

July 30th, 2014, 8:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next