View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 15th, 2018, 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Rate the draft 
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin

Post Re: Rate the draft
The Legend wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
We're getting a little national media love for our draft on NFL.COM. Adam Shein list us as one of the top ten teams that improved through the draft. Normally I can't stand their writers, but I do like and respect Shein.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... oved-teams

what??? You like Shein? I ve never heard anyone say that...he ruined Inside the NFL for me this past year used to me among my favorite shows

I don't have the luxury if watching sports shows. I have a 3 year old. My opinion is based on stories I read. I don't always agree but I can't recall him saying anything blatantly stupid either....like almost every other writer on NFL.com.

May 3rd, 2016, 12:00 am
Martha Firestone Ford

regularjoe12 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
We're getting a little national media love for our draft on NFL.COM. Adam Shein list us as one of the top ten teams that improved through the draft. Normally I can't stand their writers, but I do like and respect Shein.

what??? You like Shein? I ve never heard anyone say that...he ruined Inside the NFL for me this past year used to me among my favorite shows

I don't have the luxury if watching sports shows. I have a 3 year old. My opinion is based on stories I read. I don't always agree but I can't recall him saying anything blatantly stupid either....like almost every other writer on NFL.com.

Adam Shein is a good guy. You just have to understand his schtick. Sometimes he is spot on. Other times he emotes and pours it on thick. He just leaves it up to you to decide when he is serious and when he is emoting.

May 3rd, 2016, 12:50 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Adam Shein is a good guy. You just have to understand his schtick. Sometimes he is spot on. Other times he emotes and pours it on thick. He just leaves it up to you to decide when he is serious and when he is emoting.

His weird rhythmic speech pattern and unnecessarily loud fluctuations in voice are maddening not to mention that he is way too opinionated on topics that it seems obvious he hasnt examined thoroughly.

May 3rd, 2016, 10:08 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Jafo wrote:
IMO, Mayhew, and Millen before him, drafted to improve positions, particularly at the 'skill' positions, and let them carry the team. Quinn pretty much said we are upgrading the team with this draft. I say that because coupled with free agency he put a heavy emphasis on the Lines. The picks were not just to fill holes, but to foster competition and to create quality depth. IMO, Quinn could not have done better to improve the team than by drafting the way he did. If you don't have good lines you don't have a good team and you build your foundation first.

We can quibble about the particular players selected, but for me this draft said we are done just getting by focusing on skilled position and scrambling to plug holes. It tells me there is a plan behind the moves and not just a reaction to the current circumstance.

For the love of god, when will this meme die?

Mayhew and Millen spent a lot of picks on lineman. They just didn't get good lineman. Mayhew in particular drafted more lineman than he probably should've. Mayhew called the shots on six drafts. He used his first pick on lineman in four of those six drafts (maybe five depending on how you view TEs).

Drafting a bunch of lineman doesn't guarantee you a good team. They have to be good players, too. And even if they are good players, it won't necessarily make you a good team. The Vikings have had good offensive and defensive lines for most of the last decade, but haven't accomplished much of anything.

I don't believe in post-draft draft grades, because who knows how these guys will turn out in the long-run? But to me, this draft just seemed too safe. Too conservative. A'Shawn Robinson seems like the only player they got with a lot of upside potential.

May 4th, 2016, 4:35 pm
League MVP

http://detroitsportsnation.com/detroit- ... 0in%202016

Apparently, they gave out lots of drugs at the draft as this guy is very high on the Lions chances on defense after our draft additions.

May 4th, 2016, 5:17 pm
Team MVP

I don't think it's drugs at all. The DL got better, he LB's got better with Levy's return and the secondary is coming off a strong finish of the season. The only questions I have on defense are how effective will the 2nd DE spot be, and who starts as the 2nd corner. Ziggy is still improving and with Robinson next to Ngata, that should allow Taylor or whoever plays best there in camp, be successful. Slay had a rough start last year, but he fought through it and ended up as one of the best corners of last season. Lawson improved, but showed it was his basically a continuation of his rookie season because he missed almost all of his real rookie year. Diggs showed why he started all four years in the money position at Texas with a strong year as the slot corner. As poorly as Dig played at SS, almost anyone plugged in that spot will be an improvement, so I don't think that will be an issue this season.

Austin has proven he can do things with scheme to play to his players strengths and have them be successful. For that reason, I'm not hoping for a great defense this season, I expect it. If its a bottom half of the league defense, it's inexcusable.

May 5th, 2016, 2:09 am
League MVP

njroar wrote:
I don't think it's drugs at all. The DL got better, he LB's got better with Levy's return and the secondary is coming off a strong finish of the season. The only questions I have on defense are how effective will the 2nd DE spot be, and who starts as the 2nd corner. Ziggy is still improving and with Robinson next to Ngata, that should allow Taylor or whoever plays best there in camp, be successful. Slay had a rough start last year, but he fought through it and ended up as one of the best corners of last season. Lawson improved, but showed it was his basically a continuation of his rookie season because he missed almost all of his real rookie year. Diggs showed why he started all four years in the money position at Texas with a strong year as the slot corner. As poorly as Dig played at SS, almost anyone plugged in that spot will be an improvement, so I don't think that will be an issue this season.

Austin has proven he can do things with scheme to play to his players strengths and have them be successful. For that reason, I'm not hoping for a great defense this season, I expect it. If its a bottom half of the league defense, it's inexcusable.

I believe in Austin, but I'm concerned with the starters at at least 4 positions. I like Taylor a lot, but will he hold up as the starter for the full season at DE? How much playing time will Zettel take? The DTs should be better this year but that depends on their health. At least if Ngata goes down we have Robinson to step in this year. At LB, Levy being back will be a huge improvement, and Whitehead should be able to man the middle but the other spot is a question mark, not that they will be on the field all that much. In the secondary we have 2 spots set with Slay and Quin. Will Lawson be able to man the other corner spot? Who will emerge at SS? I like Killa but we don't know how effective he'll be, and I'm not too thrilled with the 2 FA signings.

I'd feel more comfortable if we had gotten a proven starter at CB and addressed DE earlier. But I know not everything can happen in one offseason. I just don't expect us to take such a big jump on defense.

May 5th, 2016, 8:52 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

To everyone bummed out we passed on Shaq: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-surgery/

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

May 17th, 2016, 5:46 am
NFL Team Captain

That was the rumor prior to draft that there was concern over his shoulder. That's why he slid. Lions probably did their homework and wisely passed on him. Doesn't mean he won't rebound to become a good player. But for the Lions it was the smart play.

May 17th, 2016, 10:11 am
Martha Firestone Ford

thelomasbrowns wrote:
To everyone bummed out we passed on Shaq: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-surgery/

Everyone knew the he eventually needed surgery. It is just happening sooner than expected. This does not change my long term expectations for him even a little bit.

May 17th, 2016, 1:57 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Its fine to not change your opinion about Shaq long term, but it 100% means he was the wrong choice for the Lions. Spending the 1st Round pick on a player who likely wont contribute this year would have meant we still have the same DE rotation we do, AND we dont have Decker.

Its fine for a team that can afford the flyer.

May 17th, 2016, 4:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Generally speaking players that miss there first season have an uphill climb. Lawson may very well do fine and come back for a few games at the end of this season and be a world beater later on but gotta be happy Bobby Q dodged that bullet.

May 17th, 2016, 9:23 pm
Junior Varsity

thelomasbrowns wrote:

I saw this and thought, if you knew you were drafting a player who needs surgery and could potentially miss time this year, is Lawson the player you would pick over Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack?

May 19th, 2016, 9:13 am
Rookie Player of the Year

A- Superbowl champs within 3 years

May 19th, 2016, 6:58 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Wackadoo wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I saw this and thought, if you knew you were drafting a player who needs surgery and could potentially miss time this year, is Lawson the player you would pick over Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack?

its really hard to know without knowing the details on the medicals. from what i ve seen in the papers it seems lawson has an unstable shoulder ie has a tendency to dislocate and that it came out doing minimal contact drills. its something that is repairable but hard to project what the recurrence rate would be without knowing the condition of the bone stock in his shoulder and/or how badly the labrum is torn. it sounds like at least a few teams thought his prognosis was not that great even with surgery. i cant really say one way or the other without knowing the details, but there is potential of a complete recovery.

Jaylon Smith to me would be the bigger concern bc his injury was supposedly a multi-ligament knee injury with nerve damage resulting in a foot drop. unable to pull the ankle towards the nose which is a big problem for normal walking let alone football. nerves are pretty tricky to predict - generally they heal slowly and often times incompletely but there are definitely cases where a stretched nerve like this can fully recover. usually there should be a sign of nerve recovery at 3 months and the nerve will continue to get better for 2 years after which usually not much improvement can be expected. dallas should have drafted him expecting to be patient but i hear a lot of talk that they expect him to play this year which may be unfair. beyond the nerve problem, multiligament knee injuries are usually devastating for athletes - culpepper, lattimore, keller. the number that dont make it back to the same level athlete is much higher than those that do. i think he has a poor prognosis and even if he makes it i wouldnt expect much until his 3rd year.

Myles Jack, in my eyes would have been the one I would be more willing to take a pick on. His injury was a meniscus tear with some cartilage damage. the fear with him is that he may need microfracture surgery at some point in the future. he did some workouts in the predraft that showed encouraging numbers, numbers he likely couldnt achieve with a bum knee. its possible, even probable that at some point in life that cartilage damage erodes further and he develops arthritis in that knee at an early age. however in the short term its likely he s able to play and contribute throughout his rookie contract.

May 21st, 2016, 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2