View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2018, 12:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Head Coach Matt Patricia 
3rd Round Selection

Post Head Coach Matt Patricia
Just wanting to everybody opinions out there. I think out of all the candidates out there Patrica is a perfect fit for the Lions. I don't think I've ever said anything close to that about a Lions' head coaching hire.

February 3rd, 2018, 3:38 pm
NFL Team Captain

Post Re: Head Coach Matt Patricia
Yeah, high hopes. Expecting a fundamentally sound and disciplined football team in Detroit (probably a first). If everything I've been reading is true, we'll have a coach that will get the most out of his players, and have schemes designed to exploit deficiencies in our opponents. Pretty excited about it, as I feel we may FINALLY have a GM and HC that know what they are doing. It's the first time I've comfortably been able to say that, I believe, in 50 plus years as being a fan.

February 3rd, 2018, 8:14 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

No Belichick coordinator has ever gone on to greatness, and many teams have tried.

Eventually there's got to be an exception, though.

February 4th, 2018, 4:22 am
Team MVP

Blueskies wrote:
No Belichick coordinator has ever gone on to greatness, and many teams have tried.

Eventually there's got to be an exception, though.

Have any of the NE coordinators been teamed with a NE GM from their start? Serious question, not being sarcastic.

And from what I've read and heard from former players, Patricia put more time in then Belichick at times. I think working OL, LB and Safeties prior to becoming a DC gives him a better view of the team as opposed to the majority that have only spent time on one side of the ball. It'll be interesting to see who comes with him and who he picks for position coaches and coordinators.

February 4th, 2018, 8:24 am
3rd Round Selection

First off guys like Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel were not brought up through the Patriots' system. Second guys like Eric Mangini and Bill O'Brien were only coordinators for one year before being given head coaching jobs. Third Josh McDaniels was way too young to be given a head coaching job and should do better the second time around.

That leaves Matt Patrica as the one guy who was brought up through the Patriots system and not rushed out into a head coaching gig.

February 4th, 2018, 11:39 am
NFL Team Captain

Leo wrote:
First off guys like Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel were not brought up through the Patriots' system. Second guys like Eric Mangini and Bill O'Brien were only coordinators for one year before being given head coaching jobs. Third Josh McDaniels was way too young to be given a head coaching job and should do better the second time around.

That leaves Matt Patrica as the one guy who was brought up through the Patriots system and not rushed out into a head coaching gig.

Indeed. You often hear or read about Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel as part of the Belichick coaching tree, but actually were part of Parcells staff in NY prior to their time in NE.

February 4th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Leo wrote:

Also, he's the only one named Matt.

February 4th, 2018, 6:46 pm
RIP Killer

If he had anything to do with making Kyle van noy not only a serviceable NFL player, but a solid starter on a SB quality team, sign me up dammit.

February 4th, 2018, 7:52 pm
NFL Team Captain

Didn't look good being fooled on the QB reception play for a touchdown. If he'd watched a tape of Lions-Packers game at the end of the season, he could've seen that coming. LoL

February 4th, 2018, 10:07 pm
NFL Team Captain

Recently read that NE was going to interview Greg Schiano for DC. Wonder if that means there's a chance that Patricia could bring Brian Flores with him to Detroit?

February 4th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Well, his D just cost the Patriots the SB.

February 5th, 2018, 3:14 am
Team MVP

Blueskies wrote:

Yeah, D was bad. There were so many opportunities for them to get off the field and missed tackles. They were always put in the right position though. I wonder how much was "off" due to Malcolm Butler being yanked right before the game. He's played poorly this year, but team chemistry can have an effect on morale if it comes out of the blue. Hell of a game though.

February 5th, 2018, 8:36 am
Martha Firestone Ford

njroar wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Yeah, D was bad. There were so many opportunities for them to get off the field and missed tackles. They were always put in the right position though. I wonder how much was "off" due to Malcolm Butler being yanked right before the game. He's played poorly this year, but team chemistry can have an effect on morale if it comes out of the blue. Hell of a game though.

To be fair, both defenses were very good. But, both defenses stunk last night. The offenses were just smoking hot.

February 5th, 2018, 9:36 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Considering what the Eagles did to the Minny defense and how weak the talent is on the Pats defense, I would say Patricia did as well as anyone could.

February 5th, 2018, 12:59 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Put me in the skeptical category. Patricia to the Lions sniffs of when Saban sent Nussmeir to UMich as OCoordinator. Saban's assistants are not the reason why Alabama is so consistently good and the same can be said for Belichick's assistants. Patricia will at least initially struggle outside the uterus sans Bill and Brady. It could even be addition by subtraction for the Patriots especially if they get Schiano a much more experienced and accomplished coach than the unproven product the Lions are getting. Like Bob Quinn when the Lions hired him, the new Lions head coach has also made very few decisions of his own during his time in New England. Stafford isnt exactly at the beginning of his career and hiring an inexperienced head coach and enduring those growing pains could be a foolish move against a dwindling clock. Patricia is by all accounts smart likeable and hardworking but in most of my interactions with other fans the expectation seems to be that this is going to happen overnight. 2018 brings Los Angeles Rams, Seattle, Carolina, the New York Jets, New England, Green Bay, Chicago and Minnesota to Detroit with the Lions travelling to San Francisco, Arizona, Dallas, Miami, Buffalo, Green Bay, Minnesota, and Chicago - not exactly the most welcoming schedule for the new coach.

February 5th, 2018, 1:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next