View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 QB plans and another QB name to toss out there 
RIP Killer

Post QB plans and another QB name to toss out there
There is another QB who doesn't get much attention anymore and I noticed his absence from Leo's list on the other thread as well (rating QBs). Perhaps he is someone we should be talking about more, even though he is not a FA (I believe he has one more year on his contract).

So to just throw another name out there, what would you think of trading for Jon Kitna? He had a strong season in 03' before Cincy went with Palmer this year. The guy would be a great backup and could push Harrington if Joey begins to falter.

Guess my thinking now behind this post is that after investing in the skilled offensive positions, the Lions really need to solidify there QB position for the next few years. How they do they do that?

1) Keep Harrington
2) Bring in an experienced backup (Griese or Kitna)
3) Draft a QB (probably in the mid rounds so the potential is there)

Then, if Harrington falters you have someone who can take over short term and a QB already in development for the long-term.

January 17th, 2005, 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

That doesn't sound like to bad of an idea there pablo.

I'd be happy w/ Kitna or Griese both have showed that they can play succesfully in the NFL and give Joey a run for his money for the starting job.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 17th, 2005, 6:46 pm
Stats Boy

The Lions will most likely bring in a veteran this season to back up Harrington but I doubt it will be Kitna. They would have to trade for him and I doubt the Lions want to give up a decent draft pick for a backup quarterback with a below-average arm who has had only two good seasons.

January 17th, 2005, 7:01 pm
RIP Killer

The Lions will most likely bring in a veteran this season to back up Harrington but I doubt it will be Kitna. They would have to trade for him and I doubt the Lions want to give up a decent draft pick for a backup quarterback with a below-average arm who has had only two good seasons.

I'm not sure what Cincy would ask for in a trade for Kitna. As I've stated before, Griese will likely be cut if he doesn't restructure his contract. In that case he would be available for the Lions to go after. Griese, while not perfect, would be my first choice in this situation.

My fear is that they are looking strongly at Warner right now and he hasn't shown much the last few years.

January 17th, 2005, 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

My fear with John Kitna was he was terrible bust in Seattle running Holgrem's version of the WCO. He did well in Cinny but that's a different system. So did he improve as QB or did he go to system that better fit his skills?

All that being said I'm not sure Detroit can afford to trade for him. I wouldn't doubt Cinny would want a first or second rounder for him.

January 17th, 2005, 7:47 pm
QB Coach

I wouldn't want to trade for a quarterback that is going to back us up. That's just my opinion though, I don't think that highly of Kitna. He never panned out in Seattle and had one magical season in Cincinnati. He seems comfortable in Cincinnati and I don't think he would want to be traded, not that it is his decision.

January 18th, 2005, 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

If Joey is going to be around next year I am not really into giving up more than we do salary wise or draftpicks than we need to. Unless we commit to a brand new direction for QB then we do not need to sacrifice too much. The whole "someone to push Joey" is kinda a half-arse thing...you either say he is right for the team or wrong not 'let's bring in another guy who has been dissappointing carreer...". If we could get kitna or griese on the cheap then let's do it but otherwise no need to through away anything better than a late late rounder.

January 18th, 2005, 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

When Morton puts old number 87 back on, we could get old number 10 to push number 3 out of the starting job and play catch with Jonnie. :lol: :lol: :lol:

January 20th, 2005, 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Big dreams eh bsand? Don't see much of that happening. I do however like Pablo's take on the topic.

January 21st, 2005, 1:03 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Post Re: QB plans and another QB name to toss out there
Pablo wrote:
Guess my thinking now behind this post is that after investing in the skilled offensive positions, the Lions really need to solidify there QB position for the next few years. How they do they do that?

1) Keep Harrington
2) Bring in an experienced backup (Griese or Kitna)
3) Draft a QB (probably in the mid rounds so the potential is there)

Then, if Harrington falters you have someone who can take over short term and a QB already in development for the long-term.

I'm totally agree with you on the QB situation, but not as much on Kitna. If he was a FA and cheap maybe, but with his only good year not being in the WCO I can't see the Lions giving up anything substantial for the guy.

Greise sounds great to me IF...
-He really does get released.
-He is willing to sign with a team that doesn't promise him the starting job out right.
-He will play for a reasonable amount.

That last one is probably my biggest concern since IMO he'll only become available if he won't restructure with T.B. for a reasonable amount. Is an unreasonalble to the Bucs alot different that an ureasonable amount to the Lions?

If Greise doesn't pan out I like the idea of Jeff Garcia. I could honestly see Garcia as either a solid back up to Joey, or if Joey falls flat, a stop gap while the team looks for it's next QB. He's not my first choice, but IMO he may be the most realistic right now.

Like Pablo I'd love to see them draft someone in the mid rounds as a #3 project. These guys look intrigueing to me, though I don't know that much about them yet. Thoughts?

Jason Campbell http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerprofiles/qb/jasoncampbell.html
Stefan LeFors http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerprofiles/qb/stefanlefors.html
Adrian McPherson http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerprofiles/qb/adrianmcpherson.html

I thought these guys might be there in the 3rd & 4th rounds and could have long term potential :?

January 28th, 2005, 11:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]