View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 8:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Has Stevie Y taken the ice for the last time? 
Modmin Dude

Post Has Stevie Y taken the ice for the last time?
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/110512320122500.xml

I really hope not, but if we have then its been great. Best of luck to you Stevie, what ever may happen.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 18th, 2005, 9:57 am
Site Admin

This whole thing kills the Wings more than 99% of the other teams...the salary implications and the age of the Wings will do them in.

January 18th, 2005, 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

This whole thing kills the Wings more than 99% of the other teams...the salary implications and the age of the Wings will do them in.

Initially I may tend to agree, but remember we have one the the strongest farm systems in the NHL. We may not be as good for a year or two, but it shouldn't take long to get back to being serious competitors

Youngsters:
Henrik Zetterberg
Pavel Datsuk
Jason Williams
Igor Grigorenko

Jiri Fischer
Matthieu Dandenault
Jamie Rivers
Niklas Kronwell

Not to mention the seasoned vets still in their early 30s:
Kris Draper
Kirk Maltby
Mark Mowers
Darren McCarty
Brenden Shanahan
Ray Whitney
Tomas Holstrom

Darren Hatcher
Nicklas Lidstrom
Jason Wooley
Matteiu Schnider

Still plenty of talent to make a serious run at the Stanley Cup...not too mention Sergie may be headed back our way pretty soon :D

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 18th, 2005, 10:31 am
Modmin Dude

http://griffinshockey.com/team/roster/

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 18th, 2005, 10:35 am
Site Admin

You make some good points but at the same time you have a lot of older high price guys. It could actually be good in a sense to force Detroit to clean up and focus on the young guns.

January 18th, 2005, 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Yeah, maybe by getting rid of some of the egos and salty vets along with their big contracts we could have a influx of young talent. Although we must keep Nicklas Lidstrom if at all possible.....the greatest Defensman of our era, and one of the best of all time.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 18th, 2005, 10:41 am
Site Admin

we must keep Nicklas Lidstrom.

I agree with that..but if this lockout goes on for awhile you may see him do what he always threatens to do come contract time and move back to the land of Swiss Miss.

The other thought I had was that as good as our your guys look...you have to look at Sergei and realize that a big part of what made him great was being on this team. Losing the older studds may reveal/expose the true level of skill of these guys. Who knows...hopefully they are better and that more ice time only helps them but one can't say for sure.

January 18th, 2005, 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Post A little Sergei info
Quote:
Sergei Fedorov has signed a five-year, $40-million contract with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, leaving Detroit after 13 seasons and three Stanley Cups. Media reports say Fedorov turned down offers from Detroit averaging $10-million per year. Despite the lengthy term of the new contract, Fedorov remains in control of his career: The first two seasons are guaranteed, at salaries of $10-million and $6-million, respectively. The final three years, at $8-million per season, are at Fedorov's option.

So, if last year was year 1 and this is year 2, then Sergei could check out of the Mighty Ducks and head back our way.
How well do you think he would be received back in D-Town?
I think part of the reason he left was that he knew he would never be "the man" as long as Stevie was around, if he were to retire, then that would open the way for Sergei....

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 18th, 2005, 11:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]