View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mel Kiper's Mock Draft 
RIP Killer

Alpha, you're too funny! I agree someone who can catch the ball would be nice. I just think picking Miller at #10 is a big reach.

January 19th, 2005, 6:53 pm
Stats Boy

He may not be as good as Shockey, the most overrated player in the NFL this side of Dallas' Roy Williams, but if he is as good as Jason Witten of the Cowboys, I think the Lions will be happy with that. By the way, this draft is one of the weakest in the past 10 years, so every pick is a reach.

January 19th, 2005, 6:57 pm
RIP Killer

I can't say I agree that every pick will be a reach. I believe that there will definitely be some perennial All Pro style players in this bunch. Any time you can get a player that good, it's worth any pick. Derrick Johnson, I feel, is pretty much a can't miss prospect. Same with Ronnie Brown of Auburn. I think Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams are pretty solid. I also think Daryl Blackstock will be a good one.

All in all, this isn't the greatest crop of football prospects in one draft. But some of these guys will surprise you. I definitely think this is one of the strongest crop of running backs to come out in a long time. Keep an eye on Jesse Lumsden and Brandon Jacobs. Jacobs may be used as a fullback or a tight end. If he can adjust to being a tight end, he's going to be a damn good player.

January 19th, 2005, 8:21 pm
Stats Boy

I don't agree that Brown is a can't miss prospect. As far as backs go, it's all supply and demand. Last year, teams didn't need running backs so they weren't drafted high. If you take this season's top back, Benson, I can argue that he may not be as good as Jackson, Jones and Jones drafted in the late first-early second round of last season. As for Jacobs, he actually played at Auburn. He was third string behind Williams and Brown. I saw him play two years ago there during mop up time against Vandy and they were saying that he was a pro prospect too. That is one scary backfield they had there. That's what I'm saying. People are talking about Brown but he may not be the best back who was on his own team. If this was last year, Brown would go in the second round easy. For my money, I'll take Marion Barber. I think he has the most upside but all and all, this is a poor draft. Also, I wouldn't be putting Braylon Edwards in the Pro Bowl yet either.

January 19th, 2005, 8:43 pm
Stats Boy

Jacobs ran for over 100 yards and 2 scores at the East-West Shrine game. His stock is going way up right now. He was in much better shape than the pro scouts originally thought. He isn't going to be playing TE any time soon I don't think.

January 19th, 2005, 8:45 pm
Bubbles the Lion

I hope to see another two for one deal like last year. If they could trade down and pick up a TE and an OL or DL maybe we would have to watch the SOS (same old s...tuff). OR maybe they could trade that first round pick for Pat Swilling or maybe draft a QB from the University of Houston...just a dream...

Lions Superbowl Countdown begins...

January 19th, 2005, 8:56 pm
RIP Killer

Difference between you and I, Lionsroar, is that I don't see Benson as the top available prospect. Brown is a better receiver, better blocker and more of a team player. He is also faster than Benson, and is shiftier with just as much power and size. Brown is the most pro ready back in the bunch, and I feel he is an even better prospect than Steven Jackson was at this time last year.

January 19th, 2005, 9:36 pm
Site Admin

January 19th, 2005, 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Possibly, but Jones has proven his worth on the professional level. In all honesty, if Brown had come out last year along with Jones, I would have ranked Ronnie ahead of Kevin.
I still feel Brown is the most pro ready back in this years draft. Jones probably has a speed advantage over Brown, but Ronnie is the more versatile back. Ask me the same question in two years to see if Kevin has developed blocking and pass catching abilities.
As for where the Lions got Jones last year (30th pick), I think everyone knows that they got a huge steal, possibly the biggest steal of round one. I had Jackson rated above Jones due to Jackson being the more complete back. In a head to head comparison of Jackson to Brown, I think Brown is the better player. Does that mean that Brown is worth a higher pick than Jones? No. It means that this years draft is different than last years. There are more teams at the top of the draft that have running back as a critical need. A team like Miami or Oakland may want a power back like Benson. However, any team running a West Coast, or three receiver single back offense will probably prefer Brown. Arizona would probably be a good fit for Ronnie Brown.

January 19th, 2005, 11:10 pm
Stats Boy

I have to be honest, unless you go to Auburn's practices or have tape you break down on Brown, there is no way you can be that high on him. He simply didn't play enough in his college career. I guess we will have to disagree on this one but if you like Brown over Jackson and Jones, you either have one hell of a feeling on him or you are related to him because the guy didn't start on his own team for the past three years. :D Hey, that's why the draft is so much fun right? I'll take Barber and you take Brown and we will decide this three years from now.

PS I have the edge though because my guy already has a cool nickname: MB III I can see the marketing possibilities already.

January 19th, 2005, 11:17 pm
RIP Killer

LOL. No, not related. I do, however, have a feeling about him. Having watched several Auburn games over the years, I was always far more impressed by Ronnie than with Cadillac. And even though he wasn't pegged as the starter, I feel he was the more productive back on the Auburn team. I do feel Barber is a good back as well, but you are picking a back that split time as well. Funny how that works out, huh? But, like you said, it's what makes the draft so fun.

Well, working on the first version of my mock draft for people to beat me up about. Gotta go. Keep it real Lionsroar.

January 19th, 2005, 11:23 pm
QB Coach

Mike, I think you just answered your own comment about Miller being a huge reach at #10 with your post later in the thread. The fact of the matter is that this draft class is poor, as you and I can agree. With a poor draft class, someone like Miller could be selected 5-10 spots higher than he would originally go in a strong year. I think I have him rated as the 16th best player in the draft, dunno, my list is coming out later in the week. But with a weak draft, if you see a player at a need position that is a bit of a stretch, you could take him and it wouldn't be a poor selection.

I think I have a different viewpoint than you on him. I saw him make a huge impact in the bowl game before he was out with injuries, he had something like 6 catches 60 yards in the first half. He is an all around TE, he isn't Winslow or Shockey who can't block, Miller will be able to help out our offensive line a lot. He has great technique all around, Groh really coached him up fundamentally well. I see him as a mid-first rounder, but it's not out of the possibility to take him 5-10 spots before where he should go.

January 19th, 2005, 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I don't think it would be a poor selection for the Lions to take Miller at all. That would give the idea that I feel Miller is not a good player or fills a need. But my feeling is that at the 10th spot, he would be a reach, that's all. And like you said, in a poor draft class reaches occur far more frequently than we'd like to see. However, one of the scenarios that is being overlooked is the idea of McDougle leaving and the Lions opting to select a stud tackle to fill his spot. There are still some question marks revolving around Kelly Butler. I feel that one of the top offensive tackles will be there for the Lions to choose from with the 10th pick. My choice would be Jamaal Brown. He's a natural right tackle, and he is athletic as they come.

Of course, my overall preference remains the same. TRADE DOWN, MATT. TRADE DOWN!!!!

January 19th, 2005, 11:52 pm
Stats Boy

I actually agree with you, I like Brown over Williams myself. Yes, Barber is in the same situation but I believe Lawerence Maroney is being projected as a high draft pick himself. Now that I think of it, maybe Auburn and Minnesota had pretty good offensive lines, huh? Hey, when you get your mock draft done, start a thread so we can discuss it on here. I am in charge of the NFL Draft at another site so we can have some good discussions on the board about it. Good luck.

PS The other problem for the backs in this class is all the free agent/trade possibility this offseason. Teams are going to find great value in the middle rounds on running backs in this draft.

January 19th, 2005, 11:59 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I starting to warm up to the idea of taking Miller in the first round. I think that he will give Joey a viable option at TE...let's just hope he can actually catch the ball :D

He has some of the best hands in college.

Just like Witten

January 20th, 2005, 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next