View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hockey in Canada 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Hockey in Canada
Just an observation here. Bettman has stated that there will be no contraction of the league. Let's face it, that is why there is a problem today. He refuses to contract the league that he has helped grow to 32 teams and in the process has diluted the talent. If there is no hockey team in Atlanta, they aren't in the red, if there is no hockey team in Carolina, they aren't in the red, if there is no hockey team in Florida......well, you get the picture.

Now to get to my point: Gary Bettman refuses to contract the league and force these cities to "lose" their hockey teams. Why then did he pull the Winnipeg Jets out of Canada? The same can be asked of Quebec.

Why is he so fighting so strongly for teams that are losing money in the States, but pulled teams out of Canada that were losing money as opposed to helping them?

Conseder this: If the league is contracted by 8 teams, the most talented players from those 8 teams are spread throughout the league and the less talented are sent to the minors from those teams and the other teams left in the league. This makes every night of hockey more like an All Star game and you have good hockey every night.

January 21st, 2005, 7:34 am
Modmin Dude

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been saying it all along that the main reason that hockey took a dump in the TV ratings and is losing fans and money is because the talent pool is too dilluted. Its rediculous. Bettman saw a couple good years and went crazy with all the expansion. Personally I think there needs to be a new comissioner, maybe someone like Howe :D . Bettman has run his course and run the league in the ground.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

January 21st, 2005, 10:23 am
Site Admin

The reason Canada lost teams too was because they actually did have financial issues that this standoff should have been used to resolve. Canada should not be losing teams...it is just wrong IMO. Anaheim has a team because of a fricken movie for goodness sake...anyways...I think the efforts should be in moving some teams back to Canada and eliminating at least 1-2 teams. If salaries were under control you would still have most of the teams in Canada. The league hasn't taken into account at all that the financial climate in Canada is much tougher but hopefully once this debacle is over they will be able to rebound.

January 21st, 2005, 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Anaheim has a team because of a fricken movie for goodness sake.
:lol:

Heres some food for thought.

Average pay for hockey players, 1.81 million

Average pay for football players, 1.25 million, with a cap. Thats not too much of a pay cut when your making over one millions.

Why can't hockey eliminate the desert teams and get a cap??????? Its so simple. I want my red wings back.

January 21st, 2005, 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

They can eliminate the cap and remove helmuts from being required...more blood = higher ratings

January 21st, 2005, 11:24 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

I agree that they should move more teams to Canada. Here I will list for you 8 teams that they can remove from the league or move to Canada. Keep in mind that if they move some teams North, they will have the same problem of teams not making money.

1. Florida - Losing money
2. Tampa Bay - Won the Stanley Cup....still losing money
3. Phoenix - Losing money
4. Atlanta - Losing money
5. Nashville - Losing money
6. Anaheim - Losing money
7. Carolina - Losing money...and possibly the biggest reason for the increased salaries because of the contract they offered Sergie that Detroit had to match
8. Pittsburgh - Been bankrupt for years

Keep in mind that this doesn't include Columbus or Washington which are both losing money. In the essence of keeping the Original Six intact, I have not included Chicago.

If the fans don't want to support the teams, don't put them there!!!!

January 22nd, 2005, 5:16 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Thats very brave of you to off Pittsburg. Im sure MarioHeads wouldn't take too kindly to that. :lol:

January 22nd, 2005, 11:12 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Personally I like Pittsburgh, and Mario is one of the greatest, but the league has to keep bailing them out year after year. If you want to end the problems, cut them out.

January 22nd, 2005, 1:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]