View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 9:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 McCarthy Takes Detroit OC Job! 
Site Admin

New Orleans Newspaper wrote:
Offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy, whose contract expires Feb. 15, is scheduled to meet with the Detroit Lions on Wednesday and the Jacksonville Jaguars on Friday.

McCarthy's reputation for developing young quarterbacks makes him attractive to both teams. Joey Harrington, a 2002 first-round draft pick, just completed his third season in Detroit. Byron Leftwich, has started for two years in Jacksonville after the Jaguars selected him with the No. 7 pick in the 2003 draft.

Haslett said he wants McCarthy back but made it clear the Saints don't plan to get into a bidding war for his services. McCarthy, 41, also has drawn interest from Miami and could be a candidate for the vacancy in Cleveland once the Brown hire a head coach.

"I don't know what we're going to do with that situation," Haslett said of the offensive coordinator position.

January 21st, 2005, 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

McCarthy's reputation for developing young quarterbacks makes him attractive to both teams.

Remember that Mooch and Marty both had reps for devoloping young qbs. Good find though, Alpha. I searched and couldn't find any NO papers.

January 21st, 2005, 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I searched and couldn't find any NO papers.

"I am, very very sneaky Sr." :twisted:

January 21st, 2005, 11:43 am
Profile WWW

What could we expect if we do get McCarthy as the OC?

Thoughts, anyone :?:

January 21st, 2005, 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

The report above mentions interest from Miami and Cleveland but I do not take those seriously at all. Miami I believe recently hired Scott Linehan as OC and Cleveland is waiting for Crennel from the Pats to become their head coach...so they could be awhile. I Jacksonville there is zippo for talk about hiring an OC that I can tell.

San Francisco Chronicle wrote:
Other coaches Nolan might be interested in include former Bengals defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, Saints offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy and possibly Lions running backs coach and former 49ers fullback and assistant Tom Rathman.

Dennis Thurman, the former Cowboys safety who is the Ravens' assistant secondary coach, also was drawing Nolan's interest. However, a spokesman for the Ravens believes that Thurman will probably stay in Baltimore.

McCarthy rejected an extension from the Saints at the end of the 2003 season and interviewed Wednesday in Detroit for its offensive-coordinator position. He is also scheduled to go to Jacksonville to interview for its opening.

Considered a developer of quarterbacks, McCarthy has worked with Joe Montana in Kansas City, Brett Favre and Matt Hasselbeck in Green Bay and Marc Bulger and Aaron Brooks in New Orleans.

Rathman, a tantalizing candidate, is under contract with the Lions. It means Detroit coach Steve Mariucci could bar Rathman from interviewing for the offensive-coordinator position.

Rathman was well-regarded during his seven seasons as a 49ers assistant. The former Nebraska star worked well with mercurial running back Kevan Barlow, who didn't always get along with last year's position coach, Tim Lappano.

Frazier played with Singletary in Chicago but probably won't be contacted by Nolan until next week. Nolan will likely speak to several coaches from around the league at Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala.

The 49ers have also received permission to speak to Dolphins receivers coach Jerry Sullivan.

I personally hope they wait for a bit...there is no hurry in my mind and McCarthy is not IMO a super hot commodity. If they wait and he is the best then fine but like I stated before I like Olson as well.

January 21st, 2005, 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

I've been reading nothing but good things about McCarthy, saying that he is a very highly touted OC especially at such a young age (41). I think he would ge good for us, as long as Mooch lets him run the offense that he he wants to, that is.

January 21st, 2005, 12:25 pm
Site Admin

Link to forum reporting McCarthy to become lions coach...they sound like Lions fans and seem pretty happy to see this guy leave...

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/show ... did=150878

...and remember the last thing I remember we got from N.O. was Swilling :shock:

January 21st, 2005, 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

...and remember the last thing I remember we got from N.O. was Swilling :shock:

True but Perriman wasn't too shabby! :o

January 21st, 2005, 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Stats Boy

From what I know, Romeo Crennel talked to Cleveland about bringing in Dallas OC Maurice Carthon.

January 21st, 2005, 6:12 pm
Cheerleader

English is fine silver :) :)

Saints Fan, where did you hear about mccarthy? This source from the free press from today has him as a possibility.

http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/nfl21e_20050121.htm

It was reported by one of our "insiders" on sports radio in New Orleans. Not official but supposedly he has excepted the job. He's still under contract with New Orleans.

January 21st, 2005, 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Don't sweat the English Silversurger, we'll just point and laugh! lol Just kidding. Just don't ask me to try anything BUT English....now that would be funny!

January 22nd, 2005, 5:40 am

It was reported by one of our "insiders" on sports radio in New Orleans.

We have an "insider" here in Michigan too. I sure hope yours isn't full of hot air like ours is. :lol:
All the people on your saints forum seem glad to be rid of McCarthy. Whats Up? Why should we be glad to have him?

January 22nd, 2005, 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Vet

Here's another name: Marc Trestman. He was our QB coach in 1997 and Miami's QB coach last year. Don't know much about him.

http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/nfl22e_20050122.htm

January 22nd, 2005, 11:12 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Marc Trestman seems to be one of those "HOT" names who has never done anything.

Anybody on the Falcons or Eagles that would be of interest?

January 22nd, 2005, 1:17 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Falcons or Eagles? Forget that, go for someone off of the Pats, at-least they're a winner!!! The Eagles keep losing and the Falcons are a one man show.

I don't know much about Trestman, but give this a read:

"Openly criticized by his players, Callahan went 4-12 this season, the Raiders' worst record since 1997 and the biggest fall by a team that had reached the Super Bowl the previous year. He was fired shortly after MVP quarterback Rich Gannon criticized Callahan and offensive coordinator Marc Trestman for a bad offensive system." This was reported in S.I. on Dec 31, 2003

And this is from back when Mooch took over in San Fransisco:

"The fate of Seifert's assistants was uncertain, though offensive coordinator Marc Trestman, whose play calls were blamed in part for a drop in the 49ers' offense, is ``gone,'' DeBartolo said." This was reported by the A.P. on Jan 16, 1997

Hmm. Doesn't look to me that he's in great demand. Also consider that he was the quarterback's coach last season in Miami. You know, the Miami with the ever-effective Jay Feidler and A.J. Feeley. Let's hope thet they have someone on the hook and are just trying to throw everyone off their trail. HAH!

January 22nd, 2005, 1:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next