View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 20th, 2014, 2:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mel Kiper's Mock Draft 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Well if Kiper knows at all what he's talking about Miller is not a reach at #10.

I agree the Lions are going to let McDougle walk which means they need a tackle who can come in and start. Butler, Rogers and heaven forbid Joyce can be plan B. But I believe it's in the Lions best interest to draft LT and move Backus to RT. Which means Barron might be a better choice than Brown unless Brown can also play LT or at least be a better LT than Backus.

January 20th, 2005, 3:47 pm
QB Coach

I don't think it would be a poor selection for the Lions to take Miller at all. That would give the idea that I feel Miller is not a good player or fills a need. But my feeling is that at the 10th spot, he would be a reach, that's all. And like you said, in a poor draft class reaches occur far more frequently than we'd like to see. However, one of the scenarios that is being overlooked is the idea of McDougle leaving and the Lions opting to select a stud tackle to fill his spot. There are still some question marks revolving around Kelly Butler. I feel that one of the top offensive tackles will be there for the Lions to choose from with the 10th pick. My choice would be Jamaal Brown. He's a natural right tackle, and he is athletic as they come.

Of course, my overall preference remains the same. TRADE DOWN, MATT. TRADE DOWN!!!!

I'd say that taking one of the offensive tackles would be more of a reach than taking Miller, IMO. And it takes two to trade, who wants to move up in this draft?

January 20th, 2005, 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

based on the mock draft rolle would be there for the picking...he would shore up the db's and be playmaker that would complement bly (bryant is not the answer at db...move him safety or try to package him in a trade off the team)...bryant is just not a playmaker

January 23rd, 2005, 2:42 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I like Rollle, but sorry, I don't want to see them have to break-in a rookie in the secondary next year. That is just asking for trouble. I say leave the D.B.'s as they are, if you don't like Bryant, go with Cash or Goodman and get help at safety.

January 23rd, 2005, 3:09 pm
Bubbles the Lion

miami produces the best playmakers in the game at all but the QB position...this kid has great instincts and incredible speed...these are the players that detroit always misses out on...the university of miami produces players that are NFL ready and poised for success

January 23rd, 2005, 5:10 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I would not go so far as to say that Miami produced the best players at ALL positions, but they do produce a lot of NFL players. I don't discount the fact that he may be an impact player at some point, but the Lions do not NEED a D.B. and they do need help elsewhere. I feel that you draft in the first round for your needs, not because a guy from Miami is on the board.[/b]

January 23rd, 2005, 9:06 pm
Bubbles the Lion

a little off topic but...two of the top 5 rb's(James/Portis)...2 of the top 5 defensive players(Reed/Lewis)...top defensive rookie(Vilma)...everyone was all over winslow jr. until the injury...the school produces the BEST NFL players besides QB and Kicker...IMO the expectations are just a notch higher for NFL ready players at Miami...look at the alumni tracker and you would have an incredible team

January 23rd, 2005, 10:22 pm
Bubbles the Lion

I am not saying that since Rolle is from Miami Detroit should draft him but the recent success of similar players would suggest that this may be the right move...if people think that Cash and Goodman are the answer then I can understand that...but an impact player (i.e. marlin jackson at umich 1 yr ago) can be placed in the position that best suits the team (i.e. safety)

January 23rd, 2005, 10:29 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I don't think that Cash or Goodman are the answers, but they have slowed the bleeding at that position a little, and putting a rookie in that position may be like picking a scab and letting the blood flow. I just think that it would be like taking a half of a step back, and that's the last thing they need. I agree that putting a player in the position that best suits the team is the right thing to do, but who are they going to put at safety? Draft Rolle and HOPE that he can do it? Not a wise choice imo.

January 23rd, 2005, 10:56 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

CB is not really an option for the first round pick.

Detroit has too much money tied up in Bryant and Bly.

January 24th, 2005, 3:57 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

January 25th, 2005, 1:48 am
Site Admin

I agree!

me2

January 25th, 2005, 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

CB is not really an option for the first round pick.

Detroit has too much money tied up in Bryant and Bly.

I'd have to agree as well. I have read some articles that claim Rolle is the best value in the draft. (I don't know that to be true, but I've read it from a few different sources) Even if that is the case, while I do beleive in drafting for value before need, in this case I really don't see taking Rolle.

If Rolle is there when the Lions pick however, I would think it would give the #10 pick some trade value. If Rolle's draft value changes between now and draft day (probably will), there's a good chance another hyped player at RB WR or QB could fall to #10 and give the pick added value.

With that in mind I really like the chances of the Lions trading down a little and getting an extra pick on the first day. If they do wind up staying put I think Miller sounds like a solid choice, although I say that not knowing much at all about him other than he's the top rated TE in this draft. I do know that a TE that can block well and catch great makes a HUGE difference in the WCO. :lol:

January 25th, 2005, 6:33 pm
Bubbles the Lion

I still can't see why everyone is drinking the miller kool aid...the lions have tried the drafting need method...aaron gibson, backus, stockyard, kalimba, joey, mr glass rogers...all of these players are much maligned on the boards...when the lions take gambles on playmakers it seems to work...big baby,boss...there is very little top tier talent wise in this draft...if they keep the pick they should go after a top 10 talent (rolle)...and move him or bryant

January 26th, 2005, 12:17 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

And I don't understand why any-one would think that a rookie in the secondary is the best option.

Lets look at your options listed in order:

Gibson....flop
Backus...starter
Stockyard....don't like him, but still a starter
Kalimba...contributor to one of the league's better 8 man rotation's on D
Joey....threw for over 3,000 yards with guys dropping balls all year, starter
Mr. Glass Rogers....I think he sat next to your "playmaker" boss all year, didn't he?

You go on to list 2 people you call playmakers and one of them was out all year, just like one of the players you refer to as "glass"....that comparison doesn't make much sense to me.

So I do agree with you on one point...Big Baby.

Just to clear some things up, I really like Rolle, but he is no safety, and I don't think it would be wise to try to make him play the position in the NFL. As far as teams taking gambles on playmakers......the G.M. that can find the talent in the rough is hard to find....the one that takes the gamble and can't find it usually can't find another G.M. job.

January 26th, 2005, 5:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next