View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Offensive Coordinators 
QB Coach

Post Offensive Coordinators
Detroit interviewed New Orleans Saints coordinator Mike McCarthy today.

Tomorrow, they will interview Ted Tollner, the 49ers coordinator.

Of these names, do you like anyone? Linehan is off to Miami, so we won't be getting him. Would you be opposed to promoting Olson to OC?

Your thoughts...

January 19th, 2005, 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Pass

I would rather have Olson thusfar :?

January 20th, 2005, 12:25 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

I would stick with Olson over those two, but Mooch also said that they were going to interview more people whose names had not been released to the public yet. Let's just hope he is starting from the bottom of the list and going up!

January 20th, 2005, 5:24 am
Modmin Dude

I would pass on both of those OCs. I remember reading somewhere that the OC that Mooch wants is still in the playoffs (that was last week, so they could be done now).

January 20th, 2005, 9:29 am
Site Admin

I remember reading somewhere that the OC that Mooch wants is still in the playoffs (that was last week, so they could be done now).

Unless it is one of these teams QB coach and RB coach I can't see why they would move from a contender to a wannabe unless there is a big raise or if Mooch is great buddies with one of these coordinators.

January 20th, 2005, 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Unless it is one of these teams QB coach and RB coach I can't see why they would move from a contender to a wannabe unless there is a big raise or if Mooch is great buddies with one of these coordinators.

Awe, c'mon...you don't think that the joy and priveledge of coaching for the highly touted Detroit Lions and working for the Fords is enough of a draw :?: :?: :?: :lol:

January 20th, 2005, 11:43 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

If the Lions make Ted Tollner the new OC it sounds like Rathman would talk over as the OC in San Franciso.

Doesn't sound like a fair trade to me.

January 20th, 2005, 3:49 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Update on OC stuff
From KFFL.com (as if you couldn't tell :P )

Lions | Tollner Still an Option? - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:23:07 -0800
Steve Pate, of The Daily Oakland Press, reports the Detroit Lions are expected to talk further with former San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Ted Tollner about their offensive coordinator position.

Buccaneers | Hackett to Join Team - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:22:51 -0800
PewterReport.com reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will hire former New York Jets offensive coordinator Paul Hackett Thursday, Jan. 20, to serve as an offensive assistant.

Lions | Interested in McCarthy - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:12:32 -0800
Steve Pate, of The Daily Oakland Press, reports the Detroit Lions interviewed New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy Wednesday, Jan. 19. According to national reports, McCarthy is the leading candidate to become the team's new offensive coordinator.

January 21st, 2005, 11:53 am
Fair Weather Fan

Mooch not hiring someone yet means that he wants someone who's still playing IMO. Brad Childress and Greg Knapp are a couple that come to mind.

January 23rd, 2005, 6:05 am
Modmin Dude

Post Update on OCs from Detnews.com
Quote:
Lions den

The offensive coordinator's job for the Lions could be a two-man race, between Ted Tollner and Mike McCarthy. Both interviewed during the week, but no decision has been made by Coach Steve Mariucci.

McCarthy has been the Saints' offensive coordinator the last five years but has not been hired back. He still might return to New Orleans. Tollner is best known as a college head coach at Southern Cal and San Diego State, but his varied background as a pro assistant with Buffalo, San Diego, the Los Angeles Rams and San Francisco 49ers should not be overlooked.

Tollner has experience with a number of offensive schemes-- the K-Gun in Buffalo, the West Coast offense as an assistant under Mariucci in San Francisco in 2002, and remnants of former San Diego Chargers' Don Coryell's vertical offense at his other stops.

The Lions developed a running game in 2004 with rookie tailback Kevin Jones, but a downfield threat must be added.

Mariucci could face a dilemma in bringing in an outsider because three current assistants -- Pat Morris (offensive line), Greg Olson (quarterbacks) and Tom Rathman (running backs) have said they want to be considered for the coordinator's job.

I think I'd rather have McCarthy between those 2 choices. Mike seems to have a more verticle offense.

January 25th, 2005, 9:45 am
Modmin Dude

Post More Updates on OC
From MLive.com Highlight Reel:

Quote:
Kowalski told Sports Radio 1130 Detroit Friday on The Jamie and Brady Show that this hire is pivotal for the Lions since all of their talent is on offense, and then he drops a big name. A name headed to the Super Bowl.

The thing that Mariucci is doing -- which is smart -- is taking his time, he's talking to everybody, he's not jumping into a decision. Brad Childress could be one of the guys, the offensive coordinator for the Eagles right now. He might be a guy that comes free. It could be a guy still [in the playoffs].
[Why would Childress come to the Lions?] Money! ... Obviously the Lions have made a committment, and have told everybody that they're going to go out and get a very good back-up quarterback. So you'd think that between those two guys you'd have a decent quarterback. And then you have Kevin Jones, Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, all those guys. So if you're an offensive coordinator, there's a lot you can do with this team.

Killer clarified that he is just throwing Childress' name out there, he isn't reporting news. He also went on to say that it is known well throughout the league that working for the Fords is good, that they pay their coaches very well. So it's not out of the realm of possibility.

When the Lions played the Eagles on September 26, Marty Mornhinweg, now an Eagles' assistant, refused to say exactly what his job is with the team. The Philadelphia Daily News speculated that he may be taking offensive coordinator duties away from Childress. (Sorry no link, other than my blog entry.)

Of course, one way to read the switch would be that Mornhinweg, the former Lions' head coach hired by Reid last year, who has refused to delineate his role to reporters, seems more and more involved in the operations of the offense. But Childress doesn't seem to read it that way.

"I just think you see more up there," Childress said. "You see more and probably contribute more." Childress added that he feels he has to be careful not to contribute too much.

January 25th, 2005, 9:53 am
Site Admin

The funny thing is that I actually liked Martys offensive play calling at times. He was pretty creative :lol:

January 25th, 2005, 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]