View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 8:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mock Drafts - who everyone is picking for the Lions 
5th Round Pick - Traded

The common mistake with Lions fans is that because Lions have used their first round draft picks on offense that this year they need to draft defense.

Sorry, but the Lions have drafted well rounds 2-6 on defense. Redding, Rogers, DeVires, Bailey, Davis, Lehman, Lewis, Cash, Goodman, Smith, Holt. Either start or are quality backups. In fact Rogers, Bailey and Lehman could have easily been first round picks.

On the flip side outside of the first round the Lions have not gotten that kind of help out of 2-6 where only Railoa, Butler and Pinner remain.

Then consider that the defense gets production from free agent signees Wilkinson, Hall, Bell, Holmes, Bly and maybe even Bryant. The defense doesn't look that bad.

On the flip side offensive signings outside of Woody have pretty much been busts. The offensive line is a mess, outside of Rogers and Williams the receivers are a mess, the back up QB position is unsettled, they lack depth and skill at FB and TE. The only place they don?t need help is RB.

The one position they need on defense is a SS which can either be filled in free agency or later in the draft where Brimmer, Butler, Nicholson, Shazor all figure to be available. The only S that carries first round grades is Davis who most consider a liability in coverage and will be converted back to LB.

January 26th, 2005, 1:32 pm
Head Cheerleader

I'm split. I don't know if Davis is worth the 10th pick either, but from the little i know about him, he'll get the job done, especailly in 1-2 years at starter. If the few DE's everyone is talking about are a better pick-up for us at 10th pick, especially compared to a S, we should just go for the better player. Or if they can work some 1st round magic like they did last year, trade a few slots down for an additional late 1st or early 2nd round pick, I'd be happy.

Damn we are close to being something sweet. (even though i say that each year)

Peace.

January 26th, 2005, 1:32 pm
Head Cheerleader

January 26th, 2005, 1:36 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Any chance of cutting the size of this picture down?

January 27th, 2005, 12:36 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Right now it all depends on free agency. If the don't sign at least 2 OL to fill the holes at LG, C, RT. Then you can count on them taking either Barron or Brown at #10. If they do then look for them to take either the best DL available or Miller. Safety will have to wait till a later round.

January 27th, 2005, 2:34 pm
Site Admin

Like I have said before is that 1st rnd safeties seem to turn out to be 1st round talents a good majority of the time as opposed to what we have experienced with OL or DL.

January 27th, 2005, 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

That might have something to do with the fact that your lucky to get one safety drafted in the first round where OL and DL maybe make up half the picks. It all comes down to money for postions. Unless you know your getting a special player at safety your not going to draft one in the first round, safety are not worth that kind of money. OL and DL are the backbone of your team even when you get an average one like Jeff Backus your still paying him average money for his position.

January 27th, 2005, 5:54 pm
QB Coach

So Carolina is looking to trade up?

What player are they targeting?

If he's worth drafting at #10 who is he?

It's is to say trade down but you just can't count on it. Ask Millen about it.

Leo,

I explained all of that in my post.

January 27th, 2005, 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

feh! I know I'm supposed to work on my mock draft... but I just don't care for some other teams and feel like i'd do something stupid like assume things and be lazy. Like I seen a mock draft having us take Aaron Rogers. hahahaha. That's obviously because whoever did the mock just didn't care for the lions. The other thing is I wanted to wait for combines and pro days. I don't know... pro days take forever, so maybe I'll do a preliminary mock. Anyhoo. I just have to do some research first. Anyone know a site where it lists team needs? If not I'll find something.

February 22nd, 2005, 5:55 am
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

I noticed I don't agree with you on everything on this thread... but I have to applaud you on a few points.

Well one in particular: "The common mistake with Lions fans is that because Lions have used their first round draft picks on offense that this year they need to draft defense. "

I hate arguments like: We've drafted offense so much so we have to draft defense. Or we have too much money in one position we need to spend more money somewhere else.

How this relates to actual football or actual performance I have no idea. Anti-Receiver clones last year irked me to no end. And Roy was my pick. Now imagine the disaster had we not drafted a receiver. The dismal offense would have been even more dismal if that's possible.

The point in question is, will the player have an impact? Hypothetical situation. 10 spot. Both Antrel Rolle and Derrick Johnson are not there. The only two players I think worth the pick. Well they are worth the top 5 picks, but the rest of the prospects talent levels in the tier below are more or less the same. So ideally you want to trade down. Let's say no one bites. Everyone is afraid of being made fools out of like last years Browns. And hypothetically Mike Williams is available... A player definitely worth the 10 pick but not necessarily the biggest need.

Now what? Well I'm going to maximize the value of the pick and take him. Line him up in the 3 wide sets or try him out in a neo-tight-end position. But before that, I would still try to deal him for equal or greater value through draft weekend.

Point is, I think the impact that Mike would have would far exceed that of any defensive player outside of Rolle and Johnson.

Does this mean Mike Williams is my guy? No. Definitely not. In reality Mike Williams falling to our 10 pick would cause teams to soil themselves trying to move up to where we are. Rather it's merely a point of illustrating which is the best player available - or more accurately best impact on the Lions tyep of player available.

February 22nd, 2005, 6:09 am
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

haha. speak of the devil.. they release this just when I needed it.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/featur ... needs.html

February 22nd, 2005, 9:17 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Please... don't pay attention to anything that comes out of Scott Wright's mouth.

February 22nd, 2005, 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Head Cheerleader

My opinion has changed a bit since my last posts. I agree, we don't NEED to draft defense in the first round, but with the 10 spot, we need to take the best available player, on O or D. As of now (the combine could change this), there is no Safety worth a high draft pick. Then a lot of mocks have us taking a DE, but I dont like that, all our DE's from last year are still here this year, and our line did great as a unit for most of the year (regardless of what you think of Edwards). Though not totally necessary, I would like a CB like Pac-man or Rolle, they wouldn't come in with the pressure of starting but provide help in the nickle def. And if we have the injuries in CB like we had last year, we'll have better depth. The second half of the season our O-line was money, they came together with the run game, pass blocking is a little weak though. I think pick up depth player in the later rounds or in free agency.

Nonetheless, if TE Miller shows promise at the combine, he should get the most consideration for the #1 pick.

February 23rd, 2005, 11:44 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

What ever happened to Kiwanuka once off season started he was projected as a mid round first now he's drastically falling whats up??

Anyways I dont know why alot of people have us tacking a DE I thought we had one of the best DL in the NFC I loved our rotation all the DE's combined had 22 sacks pretty darn good if i do say so my self

Michael Huff for DROY

March 2nd, 2005, 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

FA will dictate my opinion here but if we get upgrades at safety and OLine I say H.Miller still. If he really has superb hands I can see him easily becoming a red zone target that we have been badly missing. Plus there is no one I care to take in FA.

March 2nd, 2005, 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next