View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 What's your thoughts on this? 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post What's your thoughts on this?
I think he might be asking to much but what do you guys think of TJ Houshmandzadeh? I don't see Cincy re-signing him.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 28th, 2005, 7:46 pm

Love the name. Seems to be a steady WR, but we will have a decent lineup of wr's in 05 williams, crog, Az, and swinton. we have some serious dollars in the position and should focus on FA safety and DE. Thats just my opinion though. I had him on my fantasy team the last few weeks, and he didn't do much good to me, so I guess I am prejudiced :wink:

PS

Az is good folks, he just was put in a role that he shouldn't have been in at all, starter. He is one of th top 4 slot recievers in the leauge.

January 28th, 2005, 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I think Houshmandzadeh will command a starting position and a lot of money, two things the Lions won't have at the receiver position this off-season.

January 29th, 2005, 12:34 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

bsand, if Az is one of the top 4 slot guys in the league, starting in the slot should be no problem, and doesn't excuse all of the drops. When the Lions first signed him, he had the built-in excuse of playing out of position and until this year, it was valid. They put him in the slot last year and the drops continued. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Az hater but they have been over-paying him for a few years now, and it's time for a change.

As for "Zada" I don't see Detroit looking at him.

January 29th, 2005, 1:49 am
Water Boy

I read where TJ wants to return to the Bengals. I guess the Bengals want him back too, so i assume he will stay put.

Nice site you guys have here.

January 29th, 2005, 3:24 am
Fair Weather Fan

Post Az/TJ
TJ would be a great addition, but as mentioned before,he's going to want a starters spot and starters money, and probably wont settle for a #3, same reasons why they can't/won't pursue Plax. Az Hakim will not be a Lion next year. I guess there's a chance of him restructuring his contract to stay for less money, but he's certainly not worth the money he'll be owed next year, so I think he'll be cut along with Streets. Hopefully the Lions can find another WR thats cheaper to bring in, or simply a team player that will accept the role. Otherwise we'll have to try and draft someone with sure hands in the middle rounds. Az is great in the slot, in the 5 out of 10 times that he actually catches the ball, but we're going to need more production than that. They need a slot guy, and they need a sure handed 3rd down receiver, but I'm not sure who thats going to be. What do you all think the chances of them looking at David Givens, David Patten, Andra Davis, or Joey Galloway? Most of these guys are too good to come here and be a #3, and would cost too much. Any other ideas? Where should we go for the draft at the WR spot? How about Taylor Stubblefield from Purdue? I have no idea where he'll go in the draft, but that guy can catch.

January 29th, 2005, 1:18 pm

Brian, I'm not saying he doesn't have buttergfingers, but when he does catch the ball, as gvsu says, he is very good. Unless we can get Jonnie to come back home, we are going to have to try to get Az to restructure. I agree though, if he doesn't restructure, he has to go.

January 29th, 2005, 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Cut Az. He's cost the team too much money over the years and has not produced, even when put back in the slot.

What to do for another slot guy? Sign Streets. A lot of people seem to think that Detroit has him under contract. Last year he signed a one year deal for $750,000. Keep this in mind: Az has dropped balls for Detroit for roughly 5 mil a year for the last few years. I would rather see Streets drop balls for the bargain-basement price of under 1 mil a year. A lot of people have given Az a free pass for the last couple of years and are ready to hang Streets out to dry after one year. I give Streets one more year. He has always been a solid receiver and I don't see why he wouldn't be that next year.

I also look for another slot guy. If they don't have someone as a viable back-up in the waiting, they can look to the draft. I'm not a big fan of Stubblefied, but like gvsu said they can look for him. I would only take him if he were available late in the second round and I could trade down to get him. He's a pretty small guy and to be honest, I don't recall him ever showing up big time in a big game.

January 29th, 2005, 4:17 pm
RIP Killer

If Az restructures to something close to what Streets would cost ($1M), then keep Az around. Streets - bye bye. The guy has gotta go. I don't care if his salary was $1 per year, he can't get any separation and has the drops. He doesn't help them on the field.

Kircus has to go. He hasn't proved anything in two years. They need to worry most about resigning Drummond. Then you also keep Swinton as your backup KR/PR. Actually, I would rather see Swinton at #3 than Streets. But Reggie is a solid #4 in my opinion. I also wouldn't mine seeing Scotty Vines invited back to camp.

I see the Lions going to camp with:

1) C. Rogers (yes, I think he will be #1 next season)
2) R. Williams (how awsome would it be to have ROY as our #2 guy)
3) A. Hakim (at a much reduced price tage)
4) R. Swinton (backup KR/PR)
5) S. Vines (might not make the roster)
6) E. Drummond (primarily special teams)

That's six guys right there. I woudn't go after a FA WR unless Hakim won't restructure. If he doesn't, cut him and grab someone else with the free money.

I hope the Lions, for once in a long time, don't even have to worry about WR or RB this offseason. Let's focus on the areas that need improvement.

Then again, how great would the Lions look with CRog, ROY and Braylon Edwards as their top three... :wink:

January 29th, 2005, 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I just think Hakim is as good as gone. He hasn't done anything the past 2 seasons of note, and faces injury concerns coupled with his lack of production.

January 29th, 2005, 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Do you honestly see Az going from around 5 mil a year to around 1 mil a year? Not me. Noting the injuries that 27 mentioned adds to the reasons to let him go. I liked what I saw out of Vines and would like to see him back. I just don't know about Edwards. Frist off, that woudl be too much money locked up in one position, second, where do you put him? You have CRog on the outside, Roy on the other side and a near carbon copy of Roy in Edwards. Though it would be fun to watch, I just don't see it in the cards but let me check the chicken bones and I'll let you know what I see.

January 29th, 2005, 10:46 pm
Bubbles the Lion

the right type of player for the position depends on the draft and FA...if the leos draft miller then you would like to have a possesion type of reciever i.e chrebet. If they do the right thing and draft rolle(could not help that one) they need an undersized college playmaker in the later rounds (roscoe parrish fits)...my reasoning is that with miller most of the balls over the middle should be his if not then you want to keep the DB's honest and have a guy a LB just can't cover...my concern with parrish is that since he is small and fast he would be wrecked if hit by a LB clean and he would not be suitable filli n when mr glass goes down with injury.

January 30th, 2005, 10:31 am
Fair Weather Fan

Streets was horrible last year. Not even a 10 yard per reception average.

January 30th, 2005, 11:39 am
Bubbles the Lion

what do y'all think about chris jackson out of the arena league...decent size...catches the ball in some hellish circumstances and is local from GR

January 30th, 2005, 9:04 pm
QB Coach

Hmmmm, i'm definitely open to drafting Rolle.

Just don't see him slipping to us. He is too talented to go 10th overall, especially when teams at 1, 3, 6, 7, and 8 are shopping for CBs. I think both Rolle and Jones will be gone by the time we select, as well as Derrick Johnson, the top 2 QBs, and the top 3 RBs.

It's looking like this isn't shaping out well for us. But strange things happen draft day. I want to see a drastic move made.

January 31st, 2005, 1:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next