View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 1:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 What's your thoughts on this? 
Site Admin

I just want a 3rd reciever like a morton or perriman. A guy who can catch...I am not looking for roadrunner cause that's what Roy and Chuck are supposed to be. We need a guy with solid hands that can get that 3rd down.

I personally have liked what Az has done the last 2 years being one of our only viable options...this year he averaged 17 yds per catch cause he makes plays. But he comes at a high price as well. His numbers do not reflect a guy deserving of 3-5 mil either so I don't think he will command much on the open market.

That being said...what ever happened to Scotty Anderson...I always thought he was good enough to be a 3rd receiver and I cannot find him on any team. I like him better than Streets or Kirkus. Streets was pathetic and even cheap he is not worth it.

Anyways...I would like a Morton/Cherbetesk type receiver who may not make big noise in the YAC column but can hold on to a ball if it's catchable.

January 31st, 2005, 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

What about Swinton and #3??? He's seems to catch just about everything that comes near him and he TRIES to catch the ball, which is a definate plus

January 31st, 2005, 11:59 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I wouldn't mind having swinton @ our #3 reciever. Like what's been said from what I saw of him last year he does TRY and catch the ball and he does have some good wheels on him. Cut Az unless he is willing to take a pay cut. Streets, I like him since he went to UM but he didn't do much for us last year.. so if we can get him for another year at the same price as last year, then sign him. If not then we may need to p/up a WR late in the draft of FA.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 31st, 2005, 12:19 pm
Site Admin

Swinton wouldn't be bad @3 but we will need depth IMO.

Also though...If Roy or Chuck goes down though...I am more comfortable with Az at 2 than Swinton or anyone on our current roster.

January 31st, 2005, 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Az is too injury prone and I believe that Streets will retire (injuries)

I think:

#1 C Rog
#2 Roy
#3 Swinton
#4 Vines
#5 Drummond

January 31st, 2005, 12:50 pm
Site Admin

We need more than 5 especially considering Crogs history and Drummond being such a great return man. 1 injury and we are pressed to put out a 4 receiver set :shock:

January 31st, 2005, 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

We need to target a #3 WR. That makes numbers 4-6 (Swinton, Vines, Drummond) look that much better.

With Rogers & Williams injury problems, we essentially need a fringe #2 receiver who can step in if either goes out. Streets was supposed to be that player but we know how that worked out.

January 31st, 2005, 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

We could always keep Kircus the Circus :lol:

January 31st, 2005, 3:25 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Hakim (injuries/drops), Streets (no separation, injuries and drops) and Kircus (can't play special teams/still not up NFL level) should all be gone. Not a one of them has shown any reason to get a contract for next year.

Swinton only has value because he can also return kicks. He only looked halfway decent because rest of the guys looked so bad around him. But he's your #5.

Vines might be the Lions 3rd best reciever and he wasn't even good enough to make the Packers last year.

Needless to say after Rogers and Williams the postion needs at least two new bodies in here.

January 31st, 2005, 3:44 pm
RIP Killer

If I may be allowed to pipe in on this subject, I feel Az is as good as gone. If the Lions agree to re-structure his deal, he won't take a pay cut, but rather would have the money dispersed differently so that he becomes less of a cap hit. It would be something similar to what Luther Ellis did for a couple years in a row. But when Ellis got cut, it cost the Lions $5.5 million. It's best if Az is just plain cut. He doesn't possess the hands we need out of the position. I like his playmaking ability, but getting 17 YPC doesn't mean squat when you only catching about 4 out of 7 balls thrown to you.
One of the factors that have been overlooked in this conversation is that the tight end position needs to get a pass catcher. The tight end should be the player best able to catch the ball in traffic. Should we gain one of those, the field will open up more for a slot receiver brought in during single back formations. I think Swinton should replace Hakim as the slot guy, unless someone better is signed. Reggie played fairly well when he was put into the games last year, and showed a decent pair of hands. Streets is a free agent and I doubt he'll be back. He just wasn't an effective possession receiver. The Lions should look to free agency with scrutiny and if they target a receiver, set a price and don't go beyond it. We don't want any more Schroeder-Hakim type deals.

February 1st, 2005, 8:10 am
Site Admin

I like his playmaking ability, but getting 17 YPC doesn't mean squat when you only catching about 4 out of 7 balls thrown to you.

Well I honestly did NOT like Az to begin with but he has improved IMO. 4 of 7 is outstanding compared to the rest of the team including what Roy was doing near the end of the season. He had a case of brick hands in a bad way it seemed. He is not a possesion receiver who will swallow everything but he can get downfield and makes big plays and that is worth something. There were a few games where he was the only guy along with Drummond of any effectiveness on offense.

Anyways...I will not fight for him or over him because he is not a high caliber player but he does work into the team concept that they have been attempting to build of fast playmakers. If he was cheap enough I would do it but otherwise Swinton will be fine. Still need 6 though :D

February 1st, 2005, 10:38 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Problem with Az right now is his price tag. Like I stated in my post, if the Lions can get him to take a true paycut through a contract renegotiation, that's fine by me. But usually what takes place is to have the money moved into a signing bonus, with an extension being put on the current contract. The Lions got into trouble with Luther Ellis like that.

Williams, Rogers, Swinton and Drummond make four...........
Who will be the other lucky two?
If Courtney Roby is there in round four, he needs to be considered. He was impressive all week at the Senior Bowl, and played pretty well in the game.

February 1st, 2005, 5:42 pm

I was impressed by Matt Jones the QB from Arkansas that is trying to make it as a reciever now. His practices last week and his play in the game looked good to me. If he is still around late I'd grab him.

NEVER GIVE UP!

February 1st, 2005, 5:48 pm
RIP Killer

Yes, the position switch by Jones was impressive. However, he really doesn't have the moves for a good wideout. I think he'd be better off working on his blocking and playing as a tight end in the pros. My guess is that's where the team that takes him will try to put him.

February 1st, 2005, 6:50 pm

Yes, the position switch by Jones was impressive. However, he really doesn't have the moves for a good wideout. I think he'd be better off working on his blocking and playing as a tight end in the pros. My guess is that's where the team that takes him will try to put him.

You know, I was thinking it over after I posted this and was thinking hey.. maybe he can make a good TE. :)

NEVER GIVE UP!

February 1st, 2005, 7:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next