View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post 22
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcTFhbmEwBF9TAzk1ODYxMDU5BHNlYwN0bQ--?slug=ap-emmittretires&prov=ap&type=lgns

I never really liked Smith since he took all of Barry's sun. He had a much better oline than Barry ever had, and a much more credible passing attack. I know he was good, but I'm just jealous about how much more attention he got for winning.

February 3rd, 2005, 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

The guy was a great football player. I thouht he was a class act. He will be missed.

Think about the 2010 hall of fame class Smith,Rice, Farve,and bettis. if they all retire

February 4th, 2005, 9:50 am
RIP Killer

Smith was a great all-around back and one of the most durable men to ever play the position. He was, however, no Barry. He had a HOF QB and WR with him. They also had the best OL in the 90's.

You have to give him credit though. If Barry had Smith's desire for records and invidual recognition, there is no telling what the NFL rushing record would be now.

If I was going to start a team and I could pick any RB in their prime, I don't think Smith would make my top ten. Some guys I would have ahead of him would include:

Sanders, J. Brown, W. Payton, B. Jackson, E. Cambell, G. Sayers and OJ Simpson.

Others that I would have to consider would be E. Dickerson, M. Allen, F. Harris, M. Faulk, E. James.

I put Smith in the same category as a guy like Thurman Thomas. Probably in the 11-20 overall range.

February 4th, 2005, 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Remember though...when Barry was in the league for his entire career it was always Barry vs [insert other good RB that year]. It was funny because it was Barry vs Thurman, Barry vs Okoya(sp?), Barry vs Smith, Barry vs etc...and Barry was always up there. The one thing on those teams they were always extremely good like Buffalo, KC (had monster D with Derrick Thomas at the MLB), Smith on the Cowboys, etc...while Barry was on the Lions...who were decent but never a top tier team. Anyways...for as long as Barry was in the game he was always one of the top if not the top back...but IMO didn't have the team around him to do as much as he could have. Its like having a great chef and giving him plastic knives and spoons to cook with...hell, it will still probably taste good but it will never reach its full potential.

If Emmit played for the Lions his yards, TDs would all drop as would his willingness to play the game with the Lions futile team. Barry saw the mediocrity ahead and decided to go out before it went bad.

the Lions without Barry would be the worst team ever IMO...and although many ppl are angry with the way he went out I will always love what he did for the team and for the show he always put on.

February 4th, 2005, 11:19 am
Profile WWW

Comparing Smith to barry is unfair to both. Emmit was lucky to get a good cast around him, and Barry was not so lucky. Emmit did have the best O line in the history of the game. Barry agian got the raw deal in the O line department. Emmit had moose johnson paving a lane for him to get through Defense. Barry had Bobby Ross trying to put a FB in front of him, and all that did was have him run to the retirment faster. Emmit has Super Bowl rings. Barry none.

I would love to have seen them switch teams. Just for Barrys sake.

February 4th, 2005, 1:06 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I was glad to see him go. I don't consider him a class act as some do (remember the Emmit Smith rule?). I saw him as nothing more than an attention hog. Example number one: Announcing his retirement during Super Bowl week.

As a football player, personality notwithstanding, he got the job done. He ran well, caught the ball out of the backfield and blocked. Did everything that needed to be done. He will retire as the leagues leading back....not hard to do when you lead the league in carries too.

February 5th, 2005, 10:56 am

I give him props for his endurance in the league, never sustaining a serious injury.
Greatest Running Back? HA dont make me laugh, above average running back behind the greatest O-line of its time. As someone else mentioned more in the 10-15 greatest backs of all time. PrimaDonna yes, best ever not even close.

February 15th, 2005, 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]