View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 2:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Could be a HUGE signing!!! 
Site Admin

Post Could be a HUGE signing!!!
LARRY LAGE wrote:
Trammell hopeful Tigers can sign Ordonez

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
January 25, 2005
DETROIT (AP) -- Alan Trammell can see exactly where free agent outfielder Magglio Ordonez would fit in with the Detroit Tigers.

``He would be a great addition to our club, or any club,'' the Tigers manager said Tuesday during a telephone interview. ``In our game, you go on track record, and he's been an All-Star and a .300 hitter who drives in well over 100 RBIs a year.''

Ordonez and his agent, Scott Boras, met Monday in Miami with Tigers owner Mike Ilitch, team president Dave Dombrowski and Trammell.

Trammell, entering his third season as manager, would be thrilled to have Ordonez in Detroit, but he's trying not to get too excited just in case Ordonez decides to sign elsewhere.

The Tigers had interest in many of the top free agents this winter, such as pitcher Carl Pavano and outfielder Steve Finley, but have not had much success landing any after signing closer Troy Percival to a $12 million, two-year contract in November.

``The lesson I learned is, thinking you're close to signing somebody and actually signing somebody are two different things,'' Trammell said. ``It's kind of been like, 'Always the bridesmaid, never the bride,' with us this offseason.''

Trammell said negotiations with Ordonez are in the early stages and he doesn't expect them to conclude imminently. But he's hopeful.

``The first step is to talk and we've done that,'' he said. ``Scott Boras made some statements, and it's up to us to decide if it's the right fit at this time, and that's not my department. I don't know where it goes from here, but I do know there's interest in both sides.''

Dombrowski was reluctant to provide details about negotiations.

``Other than to say we met and had a nice visit, I don't have anything else to say,'' Dombrowski said.

Boras said Monday night he and Ordonez planned to meet with the Tigers in Detroit, but had face-to-face talks in Florida because Ilitch had a business meeting there.

``It went well,'' Boras said. ``The Tigers talked about their plans for the future, their interest in Magglio, the advances they made last season.''

The Tigers lost 90 game last year -- a 29-game improvement -- in what was the second-best turnaround in the AL since it expanded in 1961.

Ordonez, a four-time All-Star who turns 31 on Friday, hit .292 last season with nine homers and 37 RBIs in 202 at-bats. A career .307 hitter with 187 homers, he missed 36 games after injuring his left knee May 19, then went on the disabled list for good on July 22 with bone marrow edema.

``Their doctors have talked with Magglio's doctors,'' Boras said. ``They're certainly comfortable he'll be ready to go by spring training.''

January 26th, 2005, 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Depending on how well he heals, this could be really good for the Tigers :idea: :idea: :idea:

January 26th, 2005, 12:50 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Never under estimatet the power of Boras to screw you like a wine bottle :lol: Ill believe we get him when I see it.

January 26th, 2005, 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Don't overpay and fall into Boras' lap!

January 27th, 2005, 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Post UPDATE
http://www.freep.com/sports/tigers/tigers28e_20050128.htm

Quote:
Industry sources said the Tigers' offer could be worth as much as the five-year, $70-million deal Ordonez turned down from the Chicago White Sox last year. Ordonez made $14 million in 2004

January 28th, 2005, 3:43 pm
QB Coach

Do we really think that highly of him to give him 2x the amount of money Pudge is receiving, or is it just that we "have" to have him?

Also, is Higgy's contract finally up at the end of this season? I've been waiting for that guy to be gone for years now. Get Higgy's, Vina's, and Anderson's contract's off our roster, and we have a lot of money to spend.

January 29th, 2005, 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

He is one of the top hitters in baseball without question...we were a pretty effective last year offensively and this signing could make the Tigers an offensive force :shock: ...did I just say that??

Also with Higgy...the guy has a decent stick WHEN surrounded by other good batters. If they can pick him up on the cheap I am ok with that. I think though that he is part of the cancerous sucktackular past that probably should go. I trust Dumbrowskis decision though...the guy has done a pretty good job thus far.

January 29th, 2005, 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpa2lpNnFzBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0bQ--?slug=ap-tigers-ordonez&prov=ap&type=lgns

Its almost official. What will be the starting outfield, anyone?

February 6th, 2005, 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

That contract is LOADED with clauses and buyouts.

Basically, we can get him off our team at the end of 2005, 2008 and 2009 if we want to. And we can keep him for 2010 and 2011 if necessary.

February 7th, 2005, 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

IF he stays healthy, it is a huge signing for the tigers. But that is a big if.

February 7th, 2005, 7:25 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I am actually excited about the baseball season, wow been a long time since I can say that. Perhaps its the no hockey this year or maybe my childhood love of baseball is returning. I think the Tigers made a good signing, sure its a gamble. But if Ordonez can return to form and the tigers had a bunch of doctors look at his knee, they could cause some trouble in the mediocre central division.

February 15th, 2005, 7:54 am
Site Admin

This could be a fun summer...typically devoid of any interesting sports I may actually have a beer and watch some ball games. If its a tight run for a playoff spot near the end of the season it could be pretty awsome.

February 15th, 2005, 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I still think the Twins are the team to beat in the division but IF the Tigers stay healthy they have a chance to at least contend in their division.

February 15th, 2005, 7:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]