View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 2:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 A rant about Lions coverage.... 
Site Admin

Post A rant about Lions coverage....
...or lack thereof

I guess I don't get it...Detroit is a major market with a huge passionate fanbase for the Lions...so why is the coverage so terrible? I love this site and the daily well put together articles you guys have been writing on Free Agents and the draft. It is so thorough and total interesting. Looking on the Freep or Detnews or any local news service you can find nothing outside of Mlive and even in the transcripts the Killer won't 'speculate' ???. People have always told me that the Detroit Sports coverage sucks compared to other big markets I never really paid much attention but sites like this where regular people can put together such detailed and good information and make the Detriot major media look like their asleep it blows my mind. These sports reporters have the best jobs in the world and yet refuse to do it IMO. It's like they take the season off along with the players...do they understand that there are 24/7 sports outlets elsewhere and that the NFL is putting together a NFL Network...if thats possible you would think that a once a week article on the Lions would be feasible....I guess not. The sick thing is that I have read more about Tollner from newspapers in other cities than I have in Detroit where it seems like 2 writers may have said something. Oh well...thank God for sites like these or else I would be in the fetal position from withdrawl. :roll:

February 1st, 2005, 11:41 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

There is no doubt that the local (Detroit) coverage of the Lions is pathetic. I can tell you from living in Dallas there is a HUGE difference in news. You can't escape the Cowgirls here. TV, radio, newspapers - they are all over.

It is the News and Freep coverage that disturbs me the most. It is just terrible. In Dallas, football often gets its own section in the newspaper and its bigger than either Detroit papers total sports coverage.

They not only cover the Cowgirls, but the entire NFL. They have both Cowgirls and NFL beat writers - who blow away those in Detroit. Rick "Goose" Gosselin is an amazing writer. He just went into the Hall of Fame (with Barry). He is actually a Spartan and tends to cover the Lions pretty well, especially around the draft. IMO -he is the most knowledgeable writers when it comes to the draft (and the last 2-3 years he has been documented as having the most accurate draft forcasts). Kiper couldn't hold his jock strap.

I am with you on the coverage in Detroit. It's very bad. But then you know why Lionbacker was launched. Hopefully, we ease the pain of long suffering Lions fans... :D

February 1st, 2005, 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

It helped ease my suffering when it comes to the up to date info on the Lions. Now only if the Lions can put together a winning record that'd help too.

NEVER GIVE UP!

February 1st, 2005, 2:04 pm
QB Coach

Rick "Goose" Gosselin is an amazing writer. He just went into the Hall of Fame (with Barry). He is actually a Spartan and tends to cover the Lions pretty well, especially around the draft. IMO -he is the most knowledgeable writers when it comes to the draft (and the last 2-3 years he has been documented as having the most accurate draft forcasts). Kiper couldn't hold his jock strap.

Why did I know that you HAD to put that in there?

He is very good with the draft. I think he was ranked first out of all draft experts when it came to top 100 boards. Of course, it's funny when there are people who enter draft pick em games, and do much better than Kiper does.

I bet that this is going to be a poor year for Kiper and his Mock Draft, you've got to be kidding be if you think that 14 teams are going to pass over Antrel Rolle, like he has in his draft.

February 2nd, 2005, 1:33 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

The Lions don't seem to get any more coverage in the papers in Detroit than the "chump league" hockey team up here gets in the local paper....maybe even less!! As a fan, it's pretty disheartening. You would think that a pro footbal team in Detroit would get a little more coverage, like other teams do in their cities.

February 5th, 2005, 10:44 am
Peewee Leaguer

Post MAN!!!!!!! I hear you!!!!
As I said before in my last post, I live in Mooch's hometown (Iron Mountain Michigan) and there is no coverage here either. I can get the free press, but there is little if any Lions coverage in the off-season. Plus who wants to read Drew Sharp rip on the Lions in the off season when we have to put up with him all regular season? Detroit could win three super bowls in a row and he'd still find something wrong to complain about. Also I'd like to add our local newspaper covers even less, and Mooch's family lives here!!!!! (Mom, Dad, brother...ect.) Oh, butwhenBrett Favre sneezes there are 7 articles about it!!! So, yes I thank God for this site for my info and a chance to vent my frustrations.

February 5th, 2005, 11:35 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Sorry to hear the bad news sleazy, at-least I don't have to read about Favre all the time.

February 5th, 2005, 11:41 am
Bubbles the Lion

the fords possess so much power in detroit that they will only allow a small amount of dissention in the media...this is a poorly run franchise who tease us every year with the carrot that this will be our year. i wish they veil would be lifted and we could get some good reporting, tough questions, and some accountability...but if we keep going to the games and buying the merch i do not believe the fords are going open up

February 5th, 2005, 2:49 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I don't know about all of that. Kinda sounds like the "conspiracy theory"

February 5th, 2005, 3:48 pm

What, Tom Kowalski's brilliant insight, witty writing, and sources inside Allen Park aren't enough for you. :lol:

But seriously the media coverage looks great compared to detroitlions.com. It is nothing but a cheerleader for the players and staff. It never produces any insight and never puts any pressure on the players. Th articles are boring and always pollyanna like. If you look at detroittigers.com, they have more guts, and are wiling to specualte and get tough on their team. Their forum is crap too. I found the link to this site in there, so it isn't a total loss. Thanks to the staff for giving us a great site.

February 7th, 2005, 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Dallas there is a HUGE difference in news. You can't escape the Cowgirls here. TV, radio, newspapers - they are all over

It's the same thing here in Wisconsin with the packers. Madison, Green Bay, Milwaukee, they all have massive packers coverage. I have family in Ann Arbor, and whenever i go to visit during the football season, i am always shocked at the lack of coverage. Somebody with Siver and Blue running thru their veins needs to write into the detriot (whatever is the major paper there, i am not sure) and complain. Seriously, if enough of you do it, they will respond.

Quote:
Also I'd like to add our local newspaper covers even less, and Mooch's family lives here!!!!! (Mom, Dad, brother...ect.) Oh, butwhenBrett Favre sneezes there are 7 articles about it!!

Like i said in your other article, Iron Mt. is Packer Country baby. I know it sucks but Mooch was an old packers coach, and he grew up a packers fan, But i am sorry that you have to deal with that. I know back in the 80s, all we had in my neighborhood was bears fans. My family was one of the few border packer fans in the area. :evil:

February 7th, 2005, 7:23 pm
All State

the coverage of the lions is lousy. mlive, besides lionbacker of course, probably does the best job. what a scary thought that is. good thing we have the internet.

February 8th, 2005, 11:27 am
Profile WWW

When NFL historians reflect upon the Detroit Lions a decade from now, they may judge the 2004 class of acquired veterans and incoming rookies as the group which propelled the franchise to recurring Super Bowl prominence (or even dominance).

I'm not joking, that is an actual quote from an article from detroitlions.com. I cannot believe how much of a cheerleader they are. Who edits these articles, Bill Ford? I have never seen any value to any of their articles. :evil:

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=403788

February 10th, 2005, 9:05 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Unlike a number of other team sites, I don't believe the Lions have any true reporters who write for the site. I believe they only have interns on the writing staff. Interns are only going to follow the company line and write glowing reports on the team.

February 10th, 2005, 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]