View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 9:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 All cameramen in Detroit suck in their breath 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post All cameramen in Detroit suck in their breath
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-tigers-pitchers&prov=ap&type=lgns

Oh boy, here comes Kenny "first half" Rogers. :shock:

Quote:
Tigers close to deal with Rogers, bring back Jones

By STEPHEN HAWKINS, AP Sports Writer
December 8, 2005
DALLAS (AP) -- The Tigers worked to finalize a $16 million, two-year agreement with Kenny Rogers on Thursday in a deal that will give Detroit a 41-year-old All-Star left-hander it hopes can provide veteran leadership to a young rotation.

Rogers' decision to sign with the Tigers was first reported by the Detroit Free Press on its Web site.

A person involved in the negotiations, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been announced, said the sides were in the process of completing an agreement that would pay Rogers $8 million each season. After the deal is put on paper, Rogers will have to pass a physical.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We've made some progress," Tigers president Dave Dombrowski said Thursday, refusing to confirm the deal.

Detroit did reach an $11 million, two-year contract with free agent Todd Jones, returning the veteran closer to the team he pitched for from 1997-2001

Rogers wasn't offered salary arbitration Wednesday night, meaning the Tigers won't have to give Texas any compensation if they sign him.

Despite their desperate need for pitching, the Rangers cut ties with Rogers, an All-Star in both seasons of his third stint in Texas. He was 14-8 with a 3.46 ERA last season, but will be most remembered for a videotaped tirade June 29 in which he shoved two television cameramen while walking onto the field.

Jones was 1-5 with a 2.10 ERA and 40 saves last season for the Florida Marlins, his sixth team since leaving Detroit, then became a free agent.

"Todd is a quality relief pitcher who had a tremendous season in 2005," Dombrowski said. "He adds a veteran presence to our bullpen and is the type of individual the organization was looking to fill this role."

The 37-year-old right-hander also has pitched for Houston (1993-96), Minnesota (2001), Colorado (2002-03), Boston (2003), Cincinnati (2004) and Philadelphia (2004). He has a 51-52 record, 3.91 ERA and 226 saves during his career.

In 687 career games (400 starts) over 17 seasons for Texas, the New York Yankees, New York Mets and Oakland, Rogers has a 190-131 record with a 4.21 ERA. He won a career-high 18 games in 2004, the first year of his $6 million, two-year contract with the Rangers.

The Tigers' rotation includes Jeremy Bonderman, Mike Maroth and Nate Robertson. Dombrowski wants to save a spot that younger pitchers in the organization can compete for this spring.

Also, Detroit selected Chris Booker from Washington in the winter meeting draft, then dealt the right-handed pitcher to Philadelphia for cash.

Booker was 8-4 with a 2.49 ERA with 20 saves in 59 appearances last season for Triple-A Louisville, Cincinnati's minor-league team. He also pitched in three games for the Reds.

The Tigers also selected right-handed pitcher Eddie Bonine from San Diego in the Triple-A phase of the draft. Bonine pitched at Single-A and Triple-A levels last season. The Los Angeles Angels selected infielder Eric Roland from Detroit's organization.

AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum contributed to this report.

December 8th, 2005, 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: All cameramen in Detroit suck in their breath
bsand2053 wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-tigers-pitchers&prov=ap&type=lgns

Oh boy, here comes Kenny "first half" Rogers. :shock:

Quote:

By STEPHEN HAWKINS, AP Sports Writer
December 8, 2005
DALLAS (AP) -- The Tigers worked to finalize a $16 million, two-year agreement with Kenny Rogers on Thursday in a deal that will give Detroit a 41-year-old All-Star left-hander it hopes can provide veteran leadership to a young rotation.

Rogers' decision to sign with the Tigers was first reported by the Detroit Free Press on its Web site.

A person involved in the negotiations, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been announced, said the sides were in the process of completing an agreement that would pay Rogers $8 million each season. After the deal is put on paper, Rogers will have to pass a physical.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We've made some progress," Tigers president Dave Dombrowski said Thursday, refusing to confirm the deal.

Detroit did reach an $11 million, two-year contract with free agent Todd Jones, returning the veteran closer to the team he pitched for from 1997-2001

Rogers wasn't offered salary arbitration Wednesday night, meaning the Tigers won't have to give Texas any compensation if they sign him.

Despite their desperate need for pitching, the Rangers cut ties with Rogers, an All-Star in both seasons of his third stint in Texas. He was 14-8 with a 3.46 ERA last season, but will be most remembered for a videotaped tirade June 29 in which he shoved two television cameramen while walking onto the field.

Jones was 1-5 with a 2.10 ERA and 40 saves last season for the Florida Marlins, his sixth team since leaving Detroit, then became a free agent.

"Todd is a quality relief pitcher who had a tremendous season in 2005," Dombrowski said. "He adds a veteran presence to our bullpen and is the type of individual the organization was looking to fill this role."

The 37-year-old right-hander also has pitched for Houston (1993-96), Minnesota (2001), Colorado (2002-03), Boston (2003), Cincinnati (2004) and Philadelphia (2004). He has a 51-52 record, 3.91 ERA and 226 saves during his career.

In 687 career games (400 starts) over 17 seasons for Texas, the New York Yankees, New York Mets and Oakland, Rogers has a 190-131 record with a 4.21 ERA. He won a career-high 18 games in 2004, the first year of his $6 million, two-year contract with the Rangers.

The Tigers' rotation includes Jeremy Bonderman, Mike Maroth and Nate Robertson. Dombrowski wants to save a spot that younger pitchers in the organization can compete for this spring.

Also, Detroit selected Chris Booker from Washington in the winter meeting draft, then dealt the right-handed pitcher to Philadelphia for cash.

Booker was 8-4 with a 2.49 ERA with 20 saves in 59 appearances last season for Triple-A Louisville, Cincinnati's minor-league team. He also pitched in three games for the Reds.

The Tigers also selected right-handed pitcher Eddie Bonine from San Diego in the Triple-A phase of the draft. Bonine pitched at Single-A and Triple-A levels last season. The Los Angeles Angels selected infielder Eric Roland from Detroit's organization.

AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum contributed to this report.

Personally I'm excited about Roger's coming here. He had decent stats in Texas, made the allstar game, and Texas is a hitter's park. IMO Roger's and Todd Jones are immediate upgrades in our pitching staff. No one knows if Perceval is coming back yet or not, but if he does we're going to have a good squad...

Now we just have to land Manny Ramierez via trade, and Jeff Weaver :wink: .

December 8th, 2005, 6:27 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

are you kidding? i am appalled at these 2 signings especially at the prices we gave out. farnsworth got the same salary/yr as we are giving jones. rogers will get booed from the minute he takes the mound here plus 8 mill/yr for him.

December 8th, 2005, 7:47 pm
are you kidding? i am appalled at these 2 signings especially at the prices we gave out. farnsworth got the same salary/yr as we are giving jones. rogers will get booed from the minute he takes the mound here plus 8 mill/yr for him.

Booed from the minute he takes the mound? Uhmmm.. I think you're fooling yourself there. I know I for one wouldn't boo him unless it is for poor performance. Farnsworth got the same salary from NEW YORK... I highly doubt he would have came back to Detroit for the same cash... Additionally he's far from established. Two great signings from the man... the REAL team president Dave Dombrowski.

December 8th, 2005, 8:05 pm

Both will be over paid, IMO, but we really have no choice. As for Rogers being good, he starts out awesome, and then fades, which is kind of the problem we had with last year's staff.

December 8th, 2005, 9:11 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Booed from the minute he takes the mound? Uhmmm.. I think you're fooling yourself there. I know I for one wouldn't boo him unless it is for poor performance. Farnsworth got the same salary from NEW YORK... I highly doubt he would have came back to Detroit for the same cash... Additionally he's far from established. Two great signings from the man... the REAL team president Dave Dombrowski.

I would boo Kenny Rogers almost instantly and know several others that would as well. His contract is way overblown and he is more likely to have an ERA approaching 4.8 than the sub 4 ERA he posted last year. His signing here at 8 mill/year doesnt say much for Dombrowski's ability to attract FA to Detroit, teams were avoiding Rogers because of his bad publicity including Texas who he has spent several years playing for and we still grossly overpaid. I would have rather had JJ back for 2 more years at 3mill/year. Farnsworth is going to be the setup man in NY, he couldve been our closer; he is a prototype closer and I am just very disappointed with how the Tigers handled his situation. We traded him for Roman Colon who doesnt appear to be a good pitcher. Had we lost Farnsworth at the end of the season we would have been entitled 1-2 early round draft picks as compensation. TODD JONES???? sorry, that is just a joke my friend and only fills the closer's role on paper. We will be again looking for another closer during the season and for 2007. These are not great signings but desperate ones.

December 9th, 2005, 9:46 am
wjb wrote:

Quote:

I would boo Kenny Rogers almost instantly and know several others that would as well. His contract is way overblown and he is more likely to have an ERA approaching 4.8 than the sub 4 ERA he posted last year. His signing here at 8 mill/year doesnt say much for Dombrowski's ability to attract FA to Detroit, teams were avoiding Rogers because of his bad publicity including Texas who he has spent several years playing for and we still grossly overpaid. I would have rather had JJ back for 2 more years at 3mill/year. Farnsworth is going to be the setup man in NY, he couldve been our closer; he is a prototype closer and I am just very disappointed with how the Tigers handled his situation. We traded him for Roman Colon who doesnt appear to be a good pitcher. Had we lost Farnsworth at the end of the season we would have been entitled 1-2 early round draft picks as compensation. TODD JONES???? sorry, that is just a joke my friend and only fills the closer's role on paper. We will be again looking for another closer during the season and for 2007. These are not great signings but desperate ones.

First of all... the only reason we traded Farnsworth was because he refused to sign a long-term deal and he wanted out of Detroit. The Tiger's handled the situation as best as possible. At least we got something for him. I disagree that Colon doesn't appear to be good. He's young, he has a ton of velocity, and he has good movement on his pitches. He has flashes of brilliance and bouts of poor decision making. I think that will change with time. I Colon's pitching style reminds me of CC Sebathia. I know he's not as good, but I think he has that type of potential. The fact that Farnsworth wouldn't re-up with the Braves even, suggests that he wanted to play for a major contender (or he just had a hard on for NY). We didn't handle that situation poorly.

In addition, signing Roger's and over paying for him, coupled with any other offseason move, has NOTHING to do with Dombrowski's ability to attract FA's. We over pay for EVERYONE because we're a poop team in a coldweather State... no one wants to come here, and I don't blame them. We're not Miami where players will go there just because it is nice. We over pay because we suck, not because Dombrowski is a bad team Pres. Rob Parker calls it the "poor team tax," and we pay it often these last 10 years.

Finally... What gives you the foresight to predict that Roger's will have a 4.8 or better ERA for next season??? He is leaving Texas (a hitter's park) and coming to the much more friendly Copa. In addition, I could care less what his ERA is as long as he wins games. Roger's hasn't had a sub .500 record for the last 4 seasons. That's more than can be said of most of our current pitchers.

December 11th, 2005, 5:31 pm

No matter if you like Kenny or not, he is a definite upgrade over JJ. Even if he does his second half disappering act, he will be more reliable than Jason.

December 11th, 2005, 7:04 pm
Profile WWW

Battin' 1.000 Legend...

June 14th, 2006, 12:35 am
wjb wrote:

Quote:

Wow... I guess you could say we didn't have to look for a closer during the season because of Zumya, but still Jones WAS our closer and the guy we relied on in the clutch. Ultimately it was our starting pitching and offense, not our relievers and bullpen that screwed us in the end... LMAO... Kinda funny that I wanted to offer Jeff Weaver a contract and he ultimately ends our season and World Series hopes... I don't take any credit for that though... Even I said I wouldn't have paid him what he ended up making (nor do I think he was worth it, despite his playoff performance).

Still waiting on Kenny Rogers to get "booed"... Haven't heard it once... Still waiting for him to blow up too... And waiting for another "camera man" incident...

IMO that is all a product of the Det. media laying off the guy. I think they create a lot of that crap and I think they created it in Texas. In Texas the guy coudn't buy a break. Here he couldn't do any wrong. BIG difference... People like to pretend these guys aren't human. Outside forces play a big role on their actions and the media is a HUGE outside force (see Chris Webber's "You violated me... I don't live for you people" outburst).

November 8th, 2006, 1:43 am

sometimes it just feels so good to be so wrong. thank you kenny rogers and todd jones is my tiger. tigers in 2007.

November 11th, 2006, 11:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]