View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 25th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Free Agents the Tigers should look at.... 
Post Free Agents the Tigers should look at....
I only have two suggestions as FA's I would like to see the Tigers look at (LOL and they're both former Tigers....)... Now that you know who they are I'll make it official... Todd Jones and Jeff Weaver. We need a reliable anchor for our bullpen. No one knows if Perceval will be back and Jones would provide us with a solid closer. Jeff Weaver has struggled and he would probably come relatively cheap. In addition I think he could flourish in our oversized ballpark. He didn't do so well in the high pressure atmosphere of NY, but back in the fan friendly D I think he could regain his confidence and success.

Anyone have any critiques or suggestions of FA's to sign??? Kenny Rogers is another one I wouldn't mind looking at... we need some pitching!!!....

Also... A trade I would like us to make... Mag. Odonez for Ramierez... Ramierez is more powerful, Boston is looking to dump him and would do so cheap, and he's healthier than Mags.... He's got more pop, he's a true power hitter, and he would give us an awesome cleanup man and true DH. I would LOVE to land Manny despite his temper.

December 8th, 2005, 1:05 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I would ship out Craig Monroe and try to pick up Jacque Jones for LF. He is a left handed hitter and a much better defender than Craig. I think we need to upgrade our defense and team speed. Its about time we try to build a team that fits our stadium. Shortstop/Thirdbase is another area of need. Guillen doesnt have great range or armstrength at SS and is rarely healthy. I would have made a bid for Furcal or Renteria and cosidered moving Guillen to 3rd. With those SS already taken I would shift my attention to a power hitting 3b, preferably a left handed hitter. I have heard that Hank Blalock is available and I would go after him with almost everything.

I am somewhat surprised that the Tigers seem focused on pitching when we scored 100 or so less runs in 2005 compared to 2004, most of our up and coming players are pitchers, and we know that our 2005 lineup will again not be healthy for all of 2006.

December 9th, 2005, 9:34 am
Stadium Announcer

Weaver wont come cheap because the market is so thin. Somebody (hopefully nto the Tigers) is gonna overpay for the guy and i see him as a gamble.

The Mags for Manny trade straight up would never happen. Maybe Maggs, Pena, AND Zumaya would make Boston even think a little bit. He is a top notch player that wouldn't come cheap.

December 9th, 2005, 4:03 pm
Weaver wont come cheap because the market is so thin. Somebody (hopefully nto the Tigers) is gonna overpay for the guy and i see him as a gamble.

The Mags for Manny trade straight up would never happen. Maybe Maggs, Pena, AND Zumaya would make Boston even think a little bit. He is a top notch player that wouldn't come cheap.

Hmmm... I don't doubt you but I would like to make some points...

Weaver has really struggled since leaving the Tigers and hasn't looked the same since. IMO the Dodgers gave him his "2nd chance" to be a top-notch pitcher, and he blew it again. His ERA is simply "average" and his WL record has been around .500. Even as a former Tiger I would be reluctant to pay a high dollar figure for him, as all signs point to him being an average player at best. Still, having played his best years and shown his greatest improvement under Cluck, couple with the warm confines of Copo and the warm fan receptions he gets here, I think him coming back to Det. is far from a stretch. His biggest obsticle may be the # of young pitching talent we have in our farm systems. Dombrowski has said that he wants to leave a roster spot open for a rotation of younger pitchers coming up to the Majors to audition.

Regarding Manny... If memory serves me right we could have had him last year off of waivers when all of his controversey hit. From what I understand Boston simply wants to unload him for w/e they can get. I think they would take Mags in a heart beat. Honestly, it is Dombrowski that I fear wouldn't make the move... and perhaps with good reason. There is no doubt that Manny is a firecracker and can be a cancer in the locker-room. Maybe I'm wrong for even wanting him. But with what he can bring to our offense, and what we've added to our pitching staff I think Manny would make us SERIOUS contenders in our division, even with Chicago sitting on top of it. I think we need a strong willed player with a strong personality that simply refuses to take losing lightly. It seems that losing has become the norm in the Tiger's organization over the last 5-10 years and we've become comfortable with it. Manny isn't... Manny provides a great deal of energy in the dugout that can sometimes be bad... In any event I would welcome him and all the energy and offense he brings with him.

December 9th, 2005, 4:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]