View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 12:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 BEN WALLACE 

Should the Pistons sign the aging Ben Wallace to a huge contract next season?
Poll ended at October 6th, 2006, 7:14 pm
Yes!! He deserves it!! 88%  88%  [ 15 ]
No!! We can make do with Antonio McDyess/Rasheed Wallace starting 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

BEN WALLACE 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post BEN WALLACE
Detroit Pistons Depth Chart (this year)

POS STARTER 2nd 3rd 4th 5th

Point Guard: Chauncey Billups, Carlos Arroyo, Lindsey Hunter

Shooting Guard: Richard Hamilton, Carlos Delfino, Alex Acker

Small Forward: Tayshaun Prince, Maurice Evans, Amir Johnson

Power Forward: Rasheed Wallace, Antonio McDyess, Jason Maxiell

Center: Ben Wallace, Darko Milicic, Dale Davis

The only players on the Pistons roster who are not yet under contract next year are Ben Wallace and Lindsey Hunter. Lindsey Hunter is really aging (going into his 15th season) and will most likely not be back next season. And for Ben Wallace, I know a lot of Pistons' fans want us to re-sign Ben for a huge contract, but I think we should let him go. I know he's a 2 time defensive player of the year, but his lack of offense hinders this team too much at times.

I suggest that the Pistons starting 5 next season should be: Chauncy Billups, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed Wallace, and Antonion McDyess. I know a lot of you probably won't agree on me with this move, but I think our core as a whole plays better when McDyess and Rasheed are both playing at the same time.

As far as replacing both Ben Wallace and Lindsey Hunter, we should draft the positions I indicated with a "???" for next year. We'll need both a PG and PF to replace Lindsey Hunter and Rasheed Wallace (who moves to the Center position). The problem though is that the Pistons only have 2nd round picks (I'm not sure whether or not we have 1 or 2 picks). We should be able to get a decent PG like Dee Brown, Gerry MacNamera, or Justin Gray to replace Lindsey Hunter. But to get a solid PF to replace McDyess' production off the bench will be hard. Hopefully Jason Maxiell will be able to step up and take that roll. Anways, I think this move will greatly improve our starting 5, but will hinder our bench production. I'm not 100% with not re-signing Ben Wallace, I just think if we have to sign him to a huge contract in order to keep him we should just let him go and have Rasheed Wallace take over the center position. Anways, let me know what you think about this idea!!

Detroit Pistons projected depth chart (next year)

Point Guard: Chauncey Billups, Carlos Arroyo, ???

Power Forward: Antonio McDyess, Jason Maxiell, ???

Center: Rasheed Wallace, Darko Milicic, Dale Davis

December 10th, 2005, 7:14 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: BEN WALLACE
adpreston1385 wrote:

The only players on the Pistons roster who are not yet under contract next year are Ben Wallace and Lindsey Hunter. Lindsey Hunter is really aging (going into his 15th season) and will most likely not be back next season. And for Ben Wallace, I know a lot of Pistons' fans want us to re-sign Ben for a huge contract, but I think we should let him go. I know he's a 2 time defensive player of the year, but his lack of offense hinders this team too much at times.

I suggest that the Pistons starting 5 next season should be: Chauncy Billups, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed Wallace, and Antonion McDyess. I know a lot of you probably won't agree on me with this move, but I think our core as a whole plays better when McDyess and Rasheed are both playing at the same time.

As far as replacing both Ben Wallace and Lindsey Hunter, we should draft the positions I indicated with a "???" for next year. We'll need both a PG and PF to replace Lindsey Hunter and Rasheed Wallace (who moves to the Center position). The problem though is that the Pistons only have 2nd round picks (I'm not sure whether or not we have 1 or 2 picks). We should be able to get a decent PG like Dee Brown, Gerry MacNamera, or Justin Gray to replace Lindsey Hunter. But to get a solid PF to replace McDyess' production off the bench will be hard. Hopefully Jason Maxiell will be able to step up and take that roll. Anways, I think this move will greatly improve our starting 5, but will hinder our bench production. I'm not 100% with not re-signing Ben Wallace, I just think if we have to sign him to a huge contract in order to keep him we should just let him go and have Rasheed Wallace take over the center position. Anways, let me know what you think about this idea!!

I don't know Ap... I'm not so sure Ben deserves, or even wants, a "huge contract." Does Ben deserve good money for his services? Absolutely. But he is more or less a defensive C that is mediocre at best on offense. He has great leaping ability and he is good at dunking the ball and tip-ins, but out side of 10 feet from the rim, he's pretty much useless. I think Ben deserves a long-term deal for good cash, but I wouldn't over pay for him. IMO he is replacable. I think Sheed could get it done in the middle if he had to. Darko has shown some improvement (I know I'm going to get ripped for that one). And there's always trade, the draft, and FA. Allegedly Kevin Garnett wanted to come here... but personally I don't want him... too much a "me" player. I think Ben's lack of offense would really be exploited if he was on any other team than the Pistons. I think Det. is the best place for him, and I think he knows that. I would tend to think that he would recognize that Joe D is a huge part of Ben's success, and I hope he doesn't choose to go elsewhere.

So, while I think Ben would like to stay in Det., and I do think he deserves a long-term deal, I wouldn't over spend to keep him. IMO Chauncy, Rip, and Tyshaun are the three most irreplaceable players on the team. Why?... Because they aren't easy to replace. Few players in the league play as Rip does... good mid range jump shot... high % shooter... good decision maker. IMO only the higher priced guards in the league play as well as Chauncy, and it would be silly to lose him only to pick up a diff one. Few players in the league are as versitile as Prince... and... not only can he play several positions.... he can play several positions WELL... and he's a great defender. I wouldn't let Ben go cheap, and I wouldn't like to let Ben go at all... but IMO you can get another C with good size, defensive skills, and strength in FA or the draft... for those reasons I wouldn't over pay to keep Wallace here.

December 11th, 2005, 1:15 am

Post Re: BEN WALLACE
wjb21ndtown wrote:
adpreston1385 wrote:

I don't know Ap... I'm not so sure Ben deserves, or even wants, a "huge contract." Does Ben deserve good money for his services? Absolutely. But he is more or less a defensive C that is mediocre at best on offense. He has great leaping ability and he is good at dunking the ball and tip-ins, but out side of 10 feet from the rim, he's pretty much useless. I think Ben deserves a long-term deal for good cash, but I wouldn't over pay for him. IMO he is replacable. I think Sheed could get it done in the middle if he had to. Darko has shown some improvement (I know I'm going to get ripped for that one). And there's always trade, the draft, and FA. Allegedly Kevin Garnett wanted to come here... but personally I don't want him... too much a "me" player. I think Ben's lack of offense would really be exploited if he was on any other team than the Pistons. I think Det. is the best place for him, and I think he knows that. I would tend to think that he would recognize that Joe D is a huge part of Ben's success, and I hope he doesn't choose to go elsewhere.

So, while I think Ben would like to stay in Det., and I do think he deserves a long-term deal, I wouldn't over spend to keep him. IMO Chauncy, Rip, and Tyshaun are the three most irreplaceable players on the team. Why?... Because they aren't easy to replace. Few players in the league play as Rip does... good mid range jump shot... high % shooter... good decision maker. IMO only the higher priced guards in the league play as well as Chauncy, and it would be silly to lose him only to pick up a diff one. Few players in the league are as versitile as Prince... and... not only can he play several positions.... he can play several positions WELL... and he's a great defender. I wouldn't let Ben go cheap, and I wouldn't like to let Ben go at all... but IMO you can get another C with good size, defensive skills, and strength in FA or the draft... for those reasons I wouldn't over pay to keep Wallace here.

So if we had to let Ben Wallace go (because he demands a huge contract) do you agree with having Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess start? Or would you want McDyess still coming off of the bench and picking up a different Center? Which centers out there are FA's next season and would we have the cash to sign them?

December 11th, 2005, 2:34 am
Profile YIM
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think Ben deserves a long-term deal for good cash, but I wouldn't over pay for him. IMO he is replacable.

I agree with your first sentence. We shouldn't give him a "huge" contract, but he does deserve to be paid well.

However, I couldn't disagree more with Ben being replacable. He is the heart and soul of the team. You cannot replace him without losing some of what makes us great. Also, he is the best defensive player in the game, and his presence helps all the perimeter defenders because they don't have to worry so much about getting beaten, because of Wallace. Also, he is our best rebounder, and we have not really been a great rebounding team this year.

What makes our team great is the starting five and how long they have been together. Even with Sheed not being here before a year and a half ago, we have had the longest span with the same starting lineup of any team. We shouldn't mess with that.

December 11th, 2005, 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

The Pistons have to resign Ben Wallace, he is the heart of this team.

Let me ask this question when we are talking about the size of contract he deserves:

How many Centers are better then him?, i can name only two, Shaq, and Duncan, so while i dont want the Pistons to overpay for Ben Wallace, i really think he should get paid quite well because he is at the very least a top 5 Center, and IMO much more then that.

Ben Wallace really does contribute more then stats can show, his shot blocking ability is tops in the league and allows his help defense to really slow down any penatration by offensive players, his ability to steal the ball forces opposing players to take poor shots, plus he provides some of the best offensive rebounding in the NBA.

Add to that he is one of the best team mates in the NBA, never selfish, never complaining, and never demanding a trade or a bigger contract. Truth is i dont think Ben Wallace will even ask to be over paid.

IMO the Piston would lose alot if their starting Center and PF were McDyess and Sheed.

December 11th, 2005, 3:58 pm

Well if we make it back to the NBA finals there probably won't be any changes on the roster (besides Lindsey Hunter's possible retirement). So the only position we'll probably need to address in the draft is a good, young PG like Dee Brown (Illinois) or Justin Gray (Wake Forest).

However, if the Detroit Pistons do not make it back to the NBA finals, Joe Dumars might make a bigger offseason transaction. Hopefully, we'll make it back to the NBA Finals and beat the San Antonio Spurs so that there won't be an drastic changes.

December 11th, 2005, 4:22 pm
Profile YIM
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I would like the Pistons to draft a pure scorer who we can constitantly rely on to score points off the bench. I don't think Dee Brown will be available for us when we draft, but I wouldn't mind him. I don't know anything about the Wake guy.

December 11th, 2005, 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

I think the Pistons still need a defensive guard to sub for either Billups or Hamilton, that can pressure the other teams top Gaurd and also provide some 3-point shooting, a guy like they had with Mike James when they won the title. IMO this is the biggest question mark for them, will Delfino be able to give the Pistons what they need in a backup Guard?.

December 11th, 2005, 8:53 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Ben deserves whatever the Pistons can give him in a 4 or 5 year deal. With his age getting up there, I would not break the bank, but I would not short change him either. He is the heart and soul of this team regardless of his offensive limitations. He deserves a contract in the range that Rasheed got 2 years ago.

Tim

December 14th, 2005, 11:28 am

I'm not sure... I can certainly say he is aging and he's not the defensive jaugernut he once was, but he's marketability is to good to pass up in motown. As much as I hate to say it, I acctually don't want to resign him; I'm almost positive he'll be resigned though with all his marketability. Mr. D wants to win more then he wants money though, I can assure you that though...

Michael Huff for DROY

December 18th, 2005, 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Afghan Allstar

I can't believe we're even debating about this. Letting Ben get away from us would be a big mistake. Big Ben averages over 12 rebounds per game, and you want to replace him with McDyess's 4 per game. Even if you double McDyess's time, which would about equal Ben's, that would only be 8. I say pay Ben what he wants. He's not Shaq, he's not all about the money.

January 10th, 2006, 12:54 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Post Ben
I think NOT resigning Ben in the first place is a huge mistake. He is the epitomy (sp?) of hard work. Remember that he was undrafted. He doesn't make that much money to begin with and he's not like the other pro athletes who want new contracts worth more money all the time. He is a selfless individual who deserves a lot more money for what he does.

"but out side of 10 feet from the rim, he's pretty much useless."

LOL did anyone else read this and think of a certain, out of shape overpaid center for the Miami Heat? :lol:

Do we still have Elden Campell on the team??? He was great at defending Shaq I thought even if he is really really really old.

January 10th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Post Re: Ben
tduds20 wrote:
I think NOT resigning Ben in the first place is a huge mistake. He is the epitomy (sp?) of hard work. Remember that he was undrafted. He doesn't make that much money to begin with and he's not like the other pro athletes who want new contracts worth more money all the time. He is a selfless individual who deserves a lot more money for what he does.

"but out side of 10 feet from the rim, he's pretty much useless."

LOL did anyone else read this and think of a certain, out of shape overpaid center for the Miami Heat? :lol:

Do we still have Elden Campell on the team??? He was great at defending Shaq I thought even if he is really really really old.

Nope. We basically replaced Elden Campbell with Dale Davis. It's funny that they are both about the same age, both played college b-ball at Clemson, and both are used for guarding Shaq in the playoffs.

January 10th, 2006, 5:57 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]